Author Topic: new from Pittsburgh  (Read 7080 times)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: new from Pittsburgh
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2014, 06:09:11 am »
I can always go to the beer distributor. Haha! I got the picture they are really touchy just by adjusting the float height. I'm planning on replacing everything ignition related. I'm not sure on what would be best though. Was thinking on dynatec ignition system as well as new coils, wires, ngk boots and new ngk plugs. I just want to start fresh. I'm not sure how far you live but I'm pretty broke when it comes to cash. My son takes all of it for his insurance. Ha! The life of being a Father.

The beers aren't really required.I'd have a look anyway.
I'm in Delmont which is right next to Murrysville.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Super400SuperSport

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2014, 07:31:53 am »
Well even if they aren't required I'll grab some. I'm moving right now so I'll let ya know when I get my stuff set up in my workshop. It would also be a good idea to get the rest of the ignition system parts bought. I appreciate it man!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2014, 07:51:57 am »
Andrew,
 Take some close up pics of the contact surfaces of your ignition points(if you can get it in focus)to be able to see if they are salvageable.

Did you already say whether you have a service repair manual ?
I recommend a valve adjustment and then start her up to warm the engine(if running now)and do a compression check on all 4 cyls. and record the results.You'll need a special adapter 12mm thread for your gauge.Snap-On has the one if you can't find it anywhere else(it's a one piece hose type threaded on one end and quick release for the gauge on the other),it'd be good to own one because not much else will fit in there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:04:10 am by grcamna2 »

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2014, 10:05:08 am »
I can do a compression test. I'm a mechanic but our Snap on guy just quit so I wouldn't be able to get one but everyone at my work has tools if I need them for a day. I do have a service manual from the 80's from my dad's bike so that's no problem. I do want to upgrade from the contact points though because I hear if you set them once they're done. I do need wires and new boots though. I'll let you know what's up as soon as I get a chance between moving and my kid. Once I get in my new place I'll have more space to do everything.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2014, 07:17:05 pm »
Well... Awhile ago I cleaned my points but apparently they got bad or maybe I suck with sandpaper or I forgot all together and thought I did but here are a couple pics of how dumb I am because this is unacceptable.

it looks like I need to start sanding a lil. I remember adjusting them and cleaning them awhile ago because I have some new bolts on there and remover setting the gap on them. I feel stupid now. Should I grab new ones or what do you guys think?

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2014, 07:57:06 pm »
I'd order a pair of new ones,get'em from Honda.
I'd find an NOS pair of TEC points if you can on Ebay w/ the correct part#'s for your bike.I think the ND(nippon denso)brand are the ones that're still being sold by the Honda dealers.I've ordered those particular ones from the dealer and was satisfied w/ the quality.
 I know HondaMan recommends staying away(I think he does..)from the Diachi Chinese brand points because they're crap,I'd order new condensers along w/ the points.The picture you posted was good focus and showed your point contact surfaces to be in rough shape,you'd have to do a Lot of filing to smooth Them out.  ::)

I'd consider buying a HondaMan electronic ignition box for my bike if I was you;it's a Great product w/ a Solid 5 year guarantee & it'll make your new points last a VERY long time.  :)

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2014, 08:43:24 pm »
So are you saying that I shouldn't get the Dyna s electronic ignition? I more or less was thinking on getting rid of the whole points thing because I just like updating stuff to make it easier on me to not adjust stuff every so often. I've heard good things about them. What do you think about them? I just don't want to spend the cash on those and regret it when I could have just bought something with a garantee and supposedly user friendly.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2014, 09:00:49 pm »
Andrew,
  Look up the HondaMan electronic ignition in the search box at the top right of your screen.I'm recommending it because I own one.The unit has lots of strong points and one of them is the original points are still in operation w/ the stock advance curves that Honda designed into your bike when new.
I think there are lots of different Electronic systems that're good,but I like His for various reasons,the main one is:the Original ignition points last a Very long time,they don't burn out anymore and the amount of times you have to re-adjust the points is maybe once a year,I can live with that.The other electronic systems can burn out and leave you stranded somewhere,but HondaMan ignition has a safety feature where you won't get stranded.

There's lots of info for them on this forum, use that 'search' feature here on the forum and check out the pro's & cons of all the systems. I recommend the HondaMan
unit.
                       Bill

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2014, 11:49:18 pm »
I've just been reading for a few hours on it and it seems like a solid system from what I see. I was reading for a few hours a few old posts and was wondering how much they run. If they work as good as you and others say they do then I might as well drink the koolaid too because it makes more sense than spending a billion dollars on something that I really don't need and instead embrace the days that my dad went through on his 400f with setting the points and building manometers with glass jars and wood. Haha. The option of being able to not be stranded is a plus though. I guess I should grab my dad's manual and start reading up on adjusting them again. What wires do you suggest for these beasts? Should I just buy the 7mm dyna wires or do you have any suggestions? I'm more or less trying to figure out what works for you and anyone else's bikes that may be reading.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2014, 04:36:17 am »
The wires...are those the high tension leads that come off of the coils,the 4 spark plug wires ? if so show a picture of what you've got.

I think it would be good for you also to begin a new topic heading for this job under the "project job" on the home page,that way all the other members can help to walk you through these procedures and "many hands make light work" if you know what I mean  ;). It'll be like starting with fresh energy and a lot of good members will have plenty of options and maybe some parts that you can't find.I still like to help.  :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:42:00 am by grcamna2 »

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2014, 06:14:27 am »
I am talking about the spark plug wires. They are OEM and are still numbered. I did start a new thread but it never really caught on. I like opinions and discussions on what's best and lots of input.

Here is the link to the other thread

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132874.0

I'll just post from there from now on. I'll grab some pictures of those spark plug leads and post them there. I've already had to shorten them a little because it was not getting a connection at times.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2014, 06:16:50 am »
No need to replace wires unless they are defective-like arcing to the block or the ends are so frayed that clipping makes them too short to reach the plug.  My .67...Larry

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2014, 07:54:41 am »
Ok. I just was thinking about making a better connection because they are getting pretty short and I have to be careful when unplugging them. Worst comes to worst I can save the old plug wires and see if new plug wires will help.
Here's a picture of them.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2014, 08:13:27 am »
Hi again,
I see the pics of the coils.The wires are molded onto the coils one piece and every time I've heard of someone replacing them it never seems as good as the originals(unless mice eat'em or they're dryrot)but your spark plug wires seem in nice shape when I look.I would keep'em and just work around the length problem,the only good option would be to replace the coils if the wires are messed up..,but those are good coils,right ?

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2014, 08:44:23 am »
The coils are good but the plug wires aren't molded in because I had to rescrew and cut a little off at the coil because it had a bad connection and wasn't getting spark and also the rubber was pretty rubbery and didn't stay in the coil. I may get new wires at least to test them out and replace the plugs because I noticed that when I replaced the old ones they weren't the D8EA plugs and I heard that can also cause a problem so I'll replace them again. I just thought I should replace them with what was in there before but that may be why it sat forever. Larry, what do you think about the Hondaman transistorized ignition? I'm definitely going to go that route because after a bunch of reading I see the benefits and testimonials.
I'm hoping she will be running very soon so I finally get a boost of confidence and I can start moving into other things I want to accomplish with her.

Thanks again guys!
Andrew

If possible can we start posting in my other thread. I really appreciate the help you all have given me and you folks are a awful lot of help and a awesome set of guys!

CLICK HERE ---->   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132874.0

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2014, 02:03:43 pm »
NGK does make a splice kit fwtw. If the caps are sliding off you could try some silicone RTV on the end to keep the caps from moving(may or may not work as I just thought of the idea but never tried it).  I have not used HM's kit but everything I've read about it seems to make it the way to go

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2014, 04:00:49 pm »
Thanks Larry! That would make sense with a little silicone.Those boots seem a little flimsy at the wires.

I'm going to be posting everything in my other thread on the "project shop" instead of on the "new member introductions"  just follow this link below. Thanks Larry!

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132874.0

CLICK HERE^^^^^^^^^