Author Topic: new from Pittsburgh  (Read 7078 times)

Offline Super400SuperSport

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
Re: new from Pittsburgh
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 10:33:39 am »
Emulsifier tubes? I'm not too sure what those are. I looked in my PDF for my bike my dad sent me and didn't see any. I'm sure it's something stupid I overlooked. I feel like dejavu every time I pull them apart. Do you know of any good carb rebuild threads I can check out? I feel lost because I thought I had a idea what I was doing but apparently not. Ha! Thanks again Larry!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 10:51:45 am »
Emulsifier tubes? I'm not too sure what those are. I looked in my PDF for my bike my dad sent me and didn't see any. I'm sure it's something stupid I overlooked. I feel like dejavu every time I pull them apart. Do you know of any good carb rebuild threads I can check out? I feel lost because I thought I had a idea what I was doing but apparently not. Ha! Thanks again Larry!

not very good at posting links but the midrange/emulsifier is part #3 on this link http://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/hon/506f9278f8700229747b98e4/carburetor

every 400 that sits for any period of time has those tubes blocked, plus the chamber it sits in is filled with crud.  You need to disassemble the carbs to get them out as they slide up and out...Larry

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 11:05:09 am »
I never removed those  :o I guess I know what I'm doing the next time I go in the garage. Haha! I ran some wire in there a bunch of times but never pulled them. This will be something new for me. Something must still be bent though. If that fixes the bad idle I'll be so stoked! I'll redo everything again and I guess I have to buy some new bowl seals now because I ruined one the other day but sealed it up after I noticed. I hate those round ones that came in my rebuild kit. They drive me crazy. I guess I should freeze some more Vaseline and get back to the basics once again. Thanks again.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2013, 10:34:34 pm »
Thanks again Larry for teaching me the ways of the carb! Haha! I am so happy you told me about cleaning those emulsifier tubes because I didn't think they would come out. Mine were EXTREMELY dirty and needed a lot of TLC. Most of the holes were plugged and the "crud" in there was pretty bad.

I hate putting this stupid springs in too but I found a better way of doing it.

I'm working on the floor because it's my roommates garage and he doesn't have a work bench. If I had more space It would be a lot cleaner.

I got it put back together but I'm still waiting on the molded bowl gaskets to come in the mail. I also had to fix 1 float ear on #2 & #3 carbs. Nothing amazing but it works good and no leaks from the bowls so I'm ok with it. They actuate just fine. Kinda had to use 2 nails to hold the floats in place because the old ones were nails when I got her.

That's all for the update. I really appreciate the help and I'm not afraid to learn.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2013, 12:33:13 am »
No problem,  that is normal crud for a 400 that sits with gas.   Possible gas may eat the nail after an extended period of time or cause corrosion that would prevent the float from pivoting. Brass stock from a hobby shop maybe? or post in the parts wanted section.  You have a couple months before decent riding weather so get it right before...Larry

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 05:46:32 am »
Yeah. If I'm going to spend what I spent to replace my one float that came with a pin then I might as well just buy the floats. I spent like $38 for my one new float and a pin on EBay is like $38. I might as well just bite the bullet. Might have to wait though. I have to pay off my gun this month so that kind of purchase is going to have to wait.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:51:51 am by Super400SuperSport »

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2013, 11:29:50 am »
So I went on eBay to check on stuff I'm getting shipped here and started looking around at stuff for my bike and a guy in Arizona makes float pins and I had to jump on it because I haven't seen them on there in a long while that weren't OEM parts. $11 for all 4! I may have to buy my dad a set once I see how well they fit. I can't wait to get this bike started up because I just want to see if I fixed the problems. 

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 11:08:49 pm »
So I went into the garage because last time I worked on her cyl. #2 was flooding the engine and causing carb 1 and 3 to over flow through the tubes but anyways I took them apart and cyl.#2 was hanging up at the spring valve when I took the bowl off. I literally had to push on it to get it to seat again but I put it back on and it flooded again. It's driving me crazy because everything is new in there down to the float pins and it has clean gas going in there. I don't get it!i was tapping with a screw driver then after pouring a ton of gas on the carpet I started hitting #2 with a hammer and it still wouldn't correct it. I'm at wits end. Should I take them off and beat the whole rack off a piece of wood with the fuel going in or what? On a good note, the carbs are getting easier and easier to put back on the motor because I took it off so many times. I'm afraid to run it also in fear I'll flood it and cause damage. Maybe if I run it with the petcock off and turn it on when it's stuffer ing that would help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys! I'm sure Larry will have a answer for me because he's the man!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 03:22:36 am »
Make sure the floats are not twisted,  check the tang and make sure it is smooth.  And, you can run it like " Maybe if I run it with the petcock off and turn it on when it's stuttering that would help?" on the bench.   Good luck with it...Larry

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 06:04:14 am »
Good work Super400SuperSport,I love the CB400F and still collecting parts to complete one on a very tight budget.How did you find such a great deal on yours,did you find it on CL in VA. ?
Larry,Your the MAN.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 06:14:13 am »
Good work Super400SuperSport,I love the CB400F and still collecting parts to complete one on a very tight budget.How did you find such a great deal on yours,did you find it on CL in VA. ?
Larry,Your the MAN.

Bill,  I have spare parts all over the place.  What would you need?...Larry

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 06:23:08 am »
I found it on Craig's list and it's not in bad shape because it was garage kept but the carbs are a big f'ing mess. My dad has the exact bike since the early 80's. His is a total wreck and his carbs are for lack of a better word "toast" ( I know they're carbs and not toast =D ). I'm originally from California so he kept his outside but it just got ruined and corroded. The only problem with mine is that I gotta go to court and get a title but the fact that it hasn't been registered since 86 is on my side. Worst case I need a new frame so it's not too huge of a big deal.

Thanks Larry, I'm going to drain the carbs and pull it apart again. I used a lil Vaseline to get the to get the carbs on and off the boots and it works like a charm.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:26:05 am by Super400SuperSport »

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 06:33:48 am »
I almost forgot to tell you Larry that the carb float ears broke on 2 carbs and I repaired them but it's definitely not hanging up. I'm going to pull them bowls off and investigate but everything seemed to be working when I took them apart lastnight and not dirt in the bowls and all. This may be a long term problem from what I can see so far if I don't get it taken care of now.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2014, 06:41:49 am »
Looks like I need some new intake boots now. Pulled these suckers off 1 too many times and broke the boot to cylinder #2. Great! More $$$ I gotta spend. Oh well. I can't blame it for tearing for being original. It looks like I can't move the bike yet now that I gotta move out of my apartment.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2014, 10:45:46 am »
go for the Vermont title when the time comes

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2014, 12:09:05 pm »
Is that a website or a place that does titling or just the Vermont DMV? If you have a website you know that would be a great help. I appreciate it Larry! I already ordered my intake boots from 400four on EBay and a liquid manometer as well.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2014, 12:23:51 pm »
Hey D,
    I know that it's not difficult to register a MC w/o a title in either VT. or NH.,if you know a resident of one of those states that'll legally "buy it from you" for small $ and then "sell it back to you"....  Ask around.

Be SURE before you do this that the bike wasn't Hot though  ::)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:27:44 pm by grcamna2 »

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2014, 01:22:53 pm »
I'm here in Pittsburgh and the bike is definitely not Hot. I checked that before I even thought about buying it. It's just a long wait here if I go through the Courts here and $100 fee. Ill keep you guys updated on the bike progress as I get the parts. It'll be running soon I hope.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2014, 01:36:15 pm »
I know you'll meet someone from either of those two states.They can help,I know from experience.  ;)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2014, 02:13:14 pm »
Is that a website or a place that does titling or just the Vermont DMV? If you have a website you know that would be a great help. I appreciate it Larry! I already ordered my intake boots from 400four on EBay and a liquid manometer as well.

They do the work and you get a VT registration, you'd then have to transfer to PA. .

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »
So today was a nice day and between my son's speech therapy and packing I got some stuff together on my pretty lady and got her out of the garage for some fresh air.

I replaced my intake boots because #2 broke for being 34 years old.

So now it looks all nice and new and everything slides off like it's suppose to! I suggest everyone splurge the $60something on them and get those bad boys replaced. Remember to note what they say on the old ones because the new ones aren't numbered like OEM Just saying.

Took a couple pics because I don't think I put any close up recent ones up.

And another of her butt. =D

And the controlls.

Thanks for checking up this small update. I also figured out the fuel problem with cylinder #2 and it was a piece of ¿dirt¿ under *can't think of the name but where the fuel comes in the carbs under the float tang... Anyways it was stuck. I have no clue on how anything got in there but it's cleaned out and cyl. #3 float was hanging up and when I got her started it stopped leaking. I can't exactly sync it yet because I can't get it to idle right and prob need to replace my new jets with bigger ones and actually get filters and a new exhaust. I have my new manometer which is the blue liquid filled one so I'm almost ready to go. If you guys are wondering I did plug the sync holes before running it. I'm not that stupid just incase you were wondering. So far a good day.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2014, 06:22:53 pm »
Those Clip-on handlebars look nice  :).

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2014, 07:11:26 pm »
They are cheapies from EBay but the redesigned ones which are thicker than the old ones but basically everything on there is EBay type parts but they work exceptionally so far. The brake master was $20 new and it works great but I still need to replace the square cut seal on the caliper because the brake system was open because there were no lines. Is there anyone near Pittsburgh that can give me a hand getting this beast running? Like I said I still need to get a few more parts but she starts and runs. Does anyone have suggestions on jetting? I was thinking on going unifilter foam and a pretty open exhaust. My buddy is giving me some pipes off his 2013 Screaming eagle Harley or I was going to construct my own pipes with severe baffles to keep it mid range tone but not crazy rice loud.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2014, 08:11:57 pm »
I might be convinced to come see it for a couple beers.If so I could write out some suggestions for you to keep it running good for a long time.
The carbs are very sensitive on these,I hope you get them completely sorted out but I'd concentrate on dialing in the ignition first.
                                            Bill

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2014, 08:47:15 pm »
I can always go to the beer distributor. Haha! I got the picture they are really touchy just by adjusting the float height. I'm planning on replacing everything ignition related. I'm not sure on what would be best though. Was thinking on dynatec ignition system as well as new coils, wires, ngk boots and new ngk plugs. I just want to start fresh. I'm not sure how far you live but I'm pretty broke when it comes to cash. My son takes all of it for his insurance. Ha! The life of being a Father.