Author Topic: 350f, Bonneville bound.  (Read 48446 times)

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
Re: 350f, Bonneville bound.
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2013, 07:10:07 am »
A little food for thought,
and this goes for anyone having a lot of welding done.
If you decide you want  to anodize the part after welding then you have to make sure
that your welder use,s a 5356 rod as this type of rod does not have the silicon content
that a 4043 rod uses and the weld will anodize with out any problems.
The 4043 is a general purpose rods that my business uses
when I have to weld up aluminum blow molds and any other type of welding that does not have to be anodized
The 4043 rod tends to weld a little better because of the silicon used.
Not to take away from the thread but I would want to show off my welding as
I am sure your welder would want too also
very nice job indeed..............

2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline MondayDad

« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2013, 11:51:35 am »
I've been searching for SCTA-BNI gas requirement.  Can't find ANYTHING! 

Specific brand?  Can we use aviation gas or must it be "street" stuff?  Naturally, I don't want alcohol.  I have availability of VP of various octane through the kart shop but don't want to start tuning on that if we can't run it.

MondayDad

Offline 195suz

« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2013, 12:46:37 pm »
If You are running gas class then you must use event gas and the tank is sealed when you fill up. If you are running fuel class then it's what ever you want to by there or bring with you. They do sell different types of gas/fuel at the event. This is for BUB

Offline MondayDad

« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2013, 07:44:46 pm »
Different types = different brands, or different octane?  All gas or pump gas with ethanol (surely not!).  We're concerned about using something to tune with that won't be available there.  How do you know what to use to tune?

MondayDad

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2013, 08:52:48 pm »
Sys- Go for it. Let me know if I can help, and take a bunch of pictures through the process, I want to see. There's something especially fun about designing and building an intake manifold.

Jim- Solid info, thank you. I will pass it on to Dave and Ethan.

Offline 195suz

« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2013, 12:05:11 pm »
ERC is the event fuel supplier it is all race fuel, you use different blends for turbo, blower, normally aspirated. give them a call they are good people and experts when it comes to fuel. Just remember there is a bit of altitude out there so you will have to adjust to the corrected altitude.

http://www.ercracingfuels.com/

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2013, 02:10:15 pm »
I run gas in M-PG and tuned up in Wisconsin with VP-110...........same gas at the salt.  The only tuning difference for my single-cylinder 201cc was to remove the baffle plate from the megaphone-muffler.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline MondayDad

« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2013, 12:10:24 pm »
Matt had been planning to use Megasquirt for engine management because of his prior experience with several installations including his own '97 Neon drag car.  After several discussions with TJ Strange of Strange Tuning, we decided to go with AEM's EMS4 system:

http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine-management-systems-9/ems-4-universal-standalone-engine-management-system-58/

Strange Tuning is a Certified AEM tuner located in Anderson, IN (30 minutes northeast of Indianapolis) with 12 years in the business.  More info on Strange Tuning and some of their other projects is available here via their FaceBook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Strangetuning?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite

HEY! I see a picture there of a bike I recognize!

"I am proud to announce a partnership that has been finalized today with Monday LSR and Strange Tuning. We will be supplying the AEM components for this Bonneville speed challenge bike as well as providing tuning services. The engine is 350cc with a Garrett GT1544 turbo. Look for our updates leading up to our run at a land speed record in August! Go like Monday LSR!!!"

AEM system ordered yesterday....

MondayDad

Offline chris mcshifty

• Enthusiast
« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2013, 11:13:07 pm »
Matt had been planning to use Megasquirt for engine management because of his prior experience with several installations including his own '97 Neon drag car.  After several discussions with TJ Strange of Strange Tuning, we decided to go with AEM's EMS4 system:

http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine-management-systems-9/ems-4-universal-standalone-engine-management-system-58/

Strange Tuning is a Certified AEM tuner located in Anderson, IN (30 minutes northeast of Indianapolis) with 12 years in the business.  More info on Strange Tuning and some of their other projects is available here via their FaceBook page:

"I am proud to announce a partnership that has been finalized today with Monday LSR and Strange Tuning. We will be supplying the AEM components for this Bonneville speed challenge bike as well as providing tuning services. The engine is 350cc with a Garrett GT1544 turbo. Look for our updates leading up to our run at a land speed record in August! Go like Monday LSR!!!"

MondayDad
congrats guys very happy for yall best of luck at salts

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2013, 11:39:40 pm »

MondayDad

Are you able to describe the differences between this AEM system and the microsquirt system..?   Is the AEM better for a fuel injection conversion for the street or is the micro squirt better..?
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2013, 06:35:00 pm »
From my very little experience with AEM, it seems to me a more capable system.  I have much more experience with a megasquirt (that doesnt make me an expert!  I just did what I had to scrape by  :P)

For me the biggest advantages are factory support, and the ability to tune my personal vehicle with a system I have been dying to learn more about!  Not sure if megasquirt can do it, but AEM has the ability to log multiple wheel speed sensors, which could be a very good tool.  Traction control and anti-lag.  Plus the ability to control boost vs multiple inputs such as speed, or rpm.  Not sure why, but I did witness the 4 piston pro all motor car pick up horsepower switching Hondata to AEM....back to back runs on a dyno.   :o

Im extremely excited to work with Tj.  I will be learning from the best.

Did a real cold ride the other morning to shoot some video at sunrise.  I love this bike.

This is Erick Blattert's CB550 with a Ducati single side swing arm mocked up.  I cant wait to see this thing done!

We emailed pictures of the frame to Matt Shuss (chief tech for scta/bni), concerned we had issues with the spar style frame modifications.  He said no go with what we had in mind because it changes the tubes around the engine which was one of the rules purposes.  Soooo, lesson learned....contact tech guy before making any major moves.  I just wish he would get back to me on if our rake change is legal the way we performed it.   ???   We had to source a new frame.  Luckily my brother had one!  Plus he had a spare cb350f engine he was willing to part with so I could have a mock up motor.  He just wanted the internals to make metal art out of.  Deal.  8)

Started clearing the frame of unneeded tabs.  To me, this is a stressful job!  Cutting it enough without going too far can be tricky.  I ended up finishing it with a hand file.  Thats the pace I like to work at  8)

Offline 195suz

« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2013, 01:44:31 pm »
Let me know how that AEM computer works out for you? My original build was with the Microsquirt but I had Issues with RF from the stock charging system and didn't have enough room for a bigger battery to run total loss.

Offline EBCB

• Earache Motorsports
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2013, 06:45:03 am »
Looks good, Matt.
Get that shock over to me this week and we'll get going on those struts.

Eric

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2013, 10:34:27 am »
^That is Erick Blattert btw!  I should be grabbing some spare stuff from my brother tonight, and will swing it by your shop asap.

195suz- Will do buddy. That electrical noise can be a real demon to chase. I feel for ya lol

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2013, 11:42:02 am »
Let me know how that AEM computer works out for you? My original build was with the Microsquirt but I had Issues with RF from the stock charging system and didn't have enough room for a bigger battery to run total loss.
Try using a solid-state voltage regulator instead of the stock mechanical unit.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 195suz

« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2013, 01:05:49 pm »
Voltage regulator wasn't the problem, generator instead of an alternator.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2013, 04:41:07 pm »
I assumed you were referring to an SOHC. Still, even a generator would benefit from an SS reg. There are other ways to "quiet down" the generator as well; back in the days when car radios were AM only, capacitors were added to the generator, to shunt the high freq to ground, and inductors, which blocked the high freq, were added to the output.
(sorry for the thread-jack, Monday)
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 195suz

« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2013, 06:29:10 pm »
Monday, are you going to BUB or SCTA?

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2013, 07:10:33 pm »
No worries. So long as info is being discussed  8)

We are going to scta. Speedweek.

Offline MondayDad

« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2013, 07:19:48 pm »
Yes.  SCTA-BNI.  Disregard the signature block.   ::)

BTW, we got good news from the chief of tech on our approach to modification of head angle.  We're good to modify it as we did before.  We were concerned about squirrely handling using a mod to the triple tree.  It would seem that it would cause some side forces when turning/correcting that we shouldn't get by modifying the frame as we did.  Now just have to duplicate perfection... I have confidence that Ethan Stiles can do it!

I am pretty amazed at the number of Indy locals we're running across that have Bonneville experience.  Folks always with an "atta boy" and "let me know if you need anything."  We'll surely pay it forward.

MondayDad
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:28:40 pm by MondayDad »

Offline dmonday

« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2013, 02:28:39 pm »
I didn't know you guys were doing this...   ;)
Looking for a cool, one of a kind motorcycle desk piece? 
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861422

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2013, 01:00:35 pm »
What an interesting week!  Started with making parts out of cardboard, and ending with a decade long dream coming to reality. Lets go!

Began with making more room for the planned fuel tank.

Next taking some measurements for the tunnel

Friday consisted of building a mock for the lower shape of the gas tank.  Spent a few hours measuring my knee widths, distance between legs, and what I felt was decently aero.  But I decided the tunnel needed a different shape and 50% of the work done was in vain.  More live and learn..

Most of it was cut with a bandsaw, but still....

All work being done right now at Ethan Stiles of PorterBilt Fabs, shop

No pictures of this on the bike....had to rush off for a hot date with the ole lady.
So in the midst of my half wasted night, spinning my wheels a bit, I receive a call from Ethan Stiles.  He recently sold a motorcycle and was interested in buying a lathe.  I obviously supported this decision.  Well after following a lead to one that was a bit too nice for his budget, he turned around at the shop and saw this masterpiece.

This phone call was to tell me about the bridegport he just came across.  $1100 is what he tells me, and my response was, I will go halfs on it with my tax return.  Sound resoning all around, I had never even seen it, but trusted Ethan knew its quality.  I have wanted to own a mill since, some 10 years ago I used one briefly at a engine machine shop I worked at.  I was in love, and the new love where it hadnt had a chance to break your heart LOL

So saturday consisted of a nieces 2nd birthday party and getting this amazing thing to his shop for its second chance at life.  Almost forgot.... the guy selling the mill also gave us a sweet deal on a, needing repair, South Bend 9" lathe!

Loading up.

And after a whole lot of convincing.......HOME!  Toss in a couple hours of cleaning, polishing, and celebrating with a bunch of friends.

A mint owners manual came with it.

And the Lathe.  Needs some work, but its got potential and we couldn't go wrong at the price.

Today (Sunday) I woke up having had a dream about racing on the salt flats, and on the first pass going 141 (or 146 i cant remember).  Next pass burnt the motor down and ending with the ring lands being destroyed after the tune went off because I forgot to turn on the intercooler pump.  We tried to look for a new motorcycle to fix it (again, dream so it didnt make perfect sense lol) to no avail.  Leaving the track I was crying uncontrollably with a very real feeling of accomplishment.  GOOD MORNING! This should be a good week  8)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:09:42 pm by MondayLSR »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2013, 07:06:09 pm »
That manual series 1 Bridgeport is the gold-standard of small mills. 8) Looks like it has a three-phase spindle motor? If you don't have 3-phase power at the shop, you can use a phase converter, or swap the motor to a single phase. Make sure you trammel the head before you try to do any precision work, and keep your eyes open for a rotary table; it will greatly expand the capabilities of the mill. ;D

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2013, 07:23:31 pm »
Right on Scotty, I will look into what trammel means. New lingo is always the hardest part lol.  I have been preaching about having a rotary vise to Ethan all week.  8)

Yup it's 3 phase. We plan to use a phase converter. The guy we bought it off, restores and converts a bunch of old equipment. He and Ethan discussed the options.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2013, 07:36:37 pm »
Trammel means to sweep the table with a dial indicator mounted in the spindle, to make sure the spindle is perpendicular to the table. The head that holds the spindle on your machine can be pivoted in 2 axis, which is what your manual shows. The dial indicator will tell you which way you need to adjust the head.