Author Topic: The Rebuild - A 550 Tale  (Read 11565 times)

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
The Rebuild - A 550 Tale
« on: November 13, 2012, 03:13:31 pm »
Some may have caught the "New England Fall Ride" thread a week or so ago that detailed this 1977 CB550's perilous fall from glory. Well, I've migrated over into the project shop for the rebuild. In the hopes of preserving a few minutes of your lives, I'll save the full backstory and just fill you in on some important moments...

The bike has ran great over the past two seasons. It developed a nasty head leak this year and has always had a persistent leak coming from the left-side sprocket cover. My levels were never below normal before a ride and well-maintained during. Over the past few weeks I had problems with the bike stalling out in city traffic, leading me to believe a battery and electrical issue. After this most recent malfunction on the aforementioned Fall ride, I'm thinking they were all somewhat related.

The bike once again cut out on me but allowed a rolling stop. No screeching, no smoke; just no power. At the side of the road, I go for the kicker and it's stuck. My buddy tries the kicker, it's stuck. It's rolled to safety and trailered to my dad's house for future evaluation. Once there, I hit the starter and it fires up but with God-awful squeaks. Shut it and parked it. My intuition is telling me it's an oil delivery failure and the top end is fried.

This is where the rebuild thread takes over and the pretty pictures tell the story.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Need a better, newer points cover gasket? How about rubber washers for the headlight bucket? Click the link below:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=122308.0

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
Re: The Rebuild - A 550 Tale
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:17:45 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages; the moment you have been waiting for...

(Curtain opens. Crowd goes wild with excitement)

I bring you a story about thinking you know what's broken and knowing what is broken.

The legendary Anders, of Blockhead Racing, came to visit (and school) me in my quiet country hometown in Southeastern MA, where we promptly fired up the air compressor, aircraft-grade impact driver and coffee machine. From the get-go we were under the impression that the damage would be located within the top-end, so we made a quick go of pulling the breather and valve cover. The amount of PO orange gasket sealant made me wonder how the bike was running so well and never sucked a loose flap into the cylinders.

We were both surprised that the top end looked so healthy, but it left a big question mark on what the cause of the awful squeaking might be during start up. Onward we forged; off with the head!

Oops, we forgot one screw and took the jugs with us on a good thrust up.

Alas, we find some sticky pistons (1 + 4) and a chip on the sleeve of cylinder 1. In addition, 3 of the 4 pistons are not moving a freely as they should. Again, 1 and 4 are the worst culprits, requiring forceful movement on my behalf, while 3 just seems a lazy. It's not looking so good and I'm not feeling so hot at this point.

Notice the rubbing marks on the following two photographs:

On a side note, what the heck is this blemish behind the oil filter? Looks as though it's been JB-Welded, but Anders and I were both very confused as to why?

Now knowing that the rods, bearings and crankshaft were shot we took to splitting the cases. Anders broke out the impact thing-a-majig and made quick work of 35 year old screws, but we quickly hit a snag when going to disassemble the primary chain and realizing the right tools were not among us. I don't have any good close-ups of the damaged bearing and crankshaft, but I did bring the engine back to Boston so that I can work out of my apartment and will get some detail shots eventually.

The mighty 550 has temporarily fallen and been left naked in the garage...

-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Need a better, newer points cover gasket? How about rubber washers for the headlight bucket? Click the link below:

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 03:18:45 pm »
Many will now want to know my take on the failure, or perhaps Anders' take as well. We had much time to discuss so I'll leave a hybrid version here.

The leaks I have been finding from the oil pump led me to source a new o-ring for the cover of the pump. If the cover is proud of the pump (even just >.001") there will not be sufficient pressure. It looks as though my cover fit these criteria. Therefore it is believed, in theory, that the oil was sufficiently pressured into the top end but the pump was not exerting enough force to complete the full delivery cycle, in essence starving the bottom end and thus creating this dilemma.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:48:20 pm »
It's good to see that you've retained your sense of humour through it all! Your work will reflect it.
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 05:00:19 pm »
It's good to see that you've retained your sense of humour through it all! Your work will reflect it.

Appreciate that, Canary. I figure there's no sense in being angry about it when I'm the one choosing 35-40 year old machines. :D

You wouldn't believe how many people have asked me if I'm ready for a "real" bike, or a "modern" bike, or "something newer". They just don't know style...
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 05:07:30 pm »
I just checked my engine, and that hole behind the oil filter has a Frosst plug pressed into it; the hole is probably a milling byproduct. If yours was leaking, it might've brought the pressure down. Still should've cooked the top end first. Just a thought.
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:01:17 am »
Anders just contacted me and told me I've acquired a new parts motor. I'll be tearing it down and hopefully salvaging the crankshaft, rods, pistons, cylinders and oil pump. It'll be in town on Saturday and pictures will follow.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline harisuluv

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:34:24 pm »
That o-ring for the oil pump is a real hard one to get a hold of.  There was a guy that had the right size for it, and ordered them, but then didn't want to give out the measurements and wanted to sell them as sort of "intellectual property."  My oil pump cover needs the o-ring, if anyone knows exactly where to find one PM me.  Nice project!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 02:15:44 am »
i like to run the oil pump body over wet or dry on flat glass a little,this will close up the wear and allow the rotors to run closer to the cover.

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 05:15:34 am »
Haris, I though I had the right one and when that didn't work I was able to grab a square-section o-ring and that's when the thickness issue threw everything off. Recently there was a guy selling a Viton kit for the oil pump; supposedly three case o-rings and a pump cover for $8 plus shipping.

I have some emails back and forth with him. PM me your email address and I'll forward it along.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 05:19:43 am »
i like to run the oil pump body over wet or dry on flat glass a little,this will close up the wear and allow the rotors to run closer to the cover.

Hey Dave, thanks for stopping by. ;D

Are you doing the sand paper to avoid using an o-ring? I haven't delved deep enough into the oil pump yet, as I am still mesmerized by the intricacies of my first split cases, but I'll have to check my pump out and see if I can understand where you are removing some material to tighten things up.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 06:26:42 am »
Subscribed...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 08:54:32 am »
As promised; a few detail shots of the crankshaft bearings and pistons. It definitely doesn't look pretty but I guess it really shouldn't...

Forgive some of the flash rust below; I was trying out some white vinegar.

Bearing from cylinder #1 rod

Piston from cylinder #1

Piston from cylinder #4

-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 11:09:44 am »
you still use an o ring on the cover crush.

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 11:49:24 am »
you still use an o ring on the cover crush.

Now that the engine is in pieces on my porch, no. ;D

I received the bike with orange gasket oozing out of the pump cover. Just recently I opened the pump up to remove the goo and replace the o-ring that was shriveled up. Didn't have the proper o-ring so I did the "make-it-yourself" until I sourced another from a member here (a square-sectioned o-ring from Mc-Master). That thickness pushed my cover proud of the body enough to cause pressure problems.

There was an everlasting oil leak coming from that area, so I figured replacement would solve it...wrong.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 01:47:52 am »
ive used 46 x 2 circular section,they come out square after use.

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 05:46:10 pm »
After work today, I decided to come home and continue clearing out the innards of my split cases in my new "workshop" ;D ...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The girlfriend's office has become the boyfriend's garage but she's a trooper about it (notice her drafting table is still there!).

So as said above, I am working on removing all parts of the cases that can be removed in order to prep for a thorough cleaning and new paint job.

Starter motor gears

Kick-starter shaft and gearing

Shift drum

Shift forks

Now onto the question of how to remove the shift spindle? It has some ball-bearings on one end and a funny looking connector on the other side. I aired on the side of caution here as to not start forcing things apart. That funny connector also as a very difficult screw; even with the impact driver. Ears are open for "how-to's"...

-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 12:12:23 am »
a tiny clip holds a pin in that centre fork which rides in its worm groove,you might need a magnet to suck the little pin out,or just let it hang upside down for a while and it might drift down and out,,then you can remove the drum,itll push through,,watch you dont distort that little circlip on the end of the kicker shaft,if it pops off when the engines running youll probably lock the rear wheel!!

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 09:06:59 am »
a tiny clip holds a pin in that centre fork which rides in its worm groove,you might need a magnet to suck the little pin out,or just let it hang upside down for a while and it might drift down and out,,then you can remove the drum,itll push through,,watch you dont distort that little circlip on the end of the kicker shaft,if it pops off when the engines running youll probably lock the rear wheel!!

I found the pin and removed it, only to put it back in once I couldn't get the screw (in last picture, above post) to dislodge itself. I'll keep going at it and eventually get it.

Your kickstarter warning was almost a day late! ;D

I got frustrated with all the wrong tools, so I decided to give up and leave it for another day. Needle-nose pliers, screw drivers and finger nails (don't recommend) were all actively prying the circlip to no avail. A little research brought me to snap ring pliers so I went and grabbed a pair from the local auto parts store. It's funny how 30 minutes of aggravation can translate into 30 seconds of bliss when you have the right tool.

So, the circlip was saved; not overextended or distorted. I hope the re-install goes just as swimmingly so that I am not experiencing a locked rear wheel. BTW, I hope you don't have first-hand experience of such an event!
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline Vreihenmotor6

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 09:34:26 am »
do you need an impact driver for that screw? I have one if you do

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 09:40:11 am »
do you need an impact driver for that screw? I have one if you do

I have one but it didn't do a damn thing. I'd be willing to try another tool or see if it is just a weak operator. Should I get in touch with you later on? Shoot me an email or PM.  Whatever works.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline Vreihenmotor6

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 11:26:43 am »
I'll be home around 6, just give me a ring and I'll stop by, or you can bring it to my place

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 11:31:17 am »
knock that screw in the undo direction with a small sharp chisel.

Offline SohRon

• She laughs 'til she cries when they call me an
  • Expert
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 07:51:41 am »
I'll be following this one. Good job of documentation, BTW; pictures really are worth a thousand words! And I dig your new "shop" (wish I had a girlfriend that accommodating!).
"He slipped back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..."

Assembling my '74 CB550: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86697.0
Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0
CB550 Assembly Manual: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.0.html

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 08:38:28 am »
Well I must admit, Ron, you're level of documentation sets the bar for the rest of us so I appreciate the compliment. The girlfriend is quite accommodating especially as I break down the spare motor and give the apartment a nice old-oil musk.

I'll have some updates after the holiday as I split the spare cases and extract the good stuff.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 12:32:04 pm »
As promised; an update:

Spent Saturday tearing down the spare motor with hopes of finding good bores, pistons, rods and crank. Had no real issues except the occasional lack of patience and a cam chain tensioner was uninterested in being evicted from its home of 30+ years. I walked away a few times, which helped me to not bugger something up real good.

The beginning of a nest

Not so bad after all

The pistons and rods are moving freely and the bores, to my untrained eye, look to be very usable in my rebuild. I'll be having Anders take a look at them when I make my way back up to the New Hampshire shop in coming weeks.

Removal of clutch

Documenting case bolts

Took me a while to break the cases free due to thinking I removed all of the bolts until I kept finding more ;D . A few whacks with a rubber mallet broke the seal and some finesse with a pry-bar got them separated.

I don't have the proper tools to remove the primary shaft (according to the manual) and while I have plans to have it removed properly, I couldn't help but research some options...

Spark plug

Thread in a spark plug and tap at the hex nut (on the plug) while rotating the shaft. This didn't work for me because
1) I have the option to remove it correctly soon, so why risk it?
2) The directions in the "Tips & Tricks" section were a bit vague in terms of tapping at the plug.

Tapping or drifting from behind the oil pump

There isn't very much of the shaft showing that I can get a wooden (soft) drift onto. Is it expected that I tap on the bearing, as that seems to have the most area showing?

Additionally, there was the option of using one of the long engine bolts (that attach it to the frame). The thread is again the same as the primary shaft and can be fitted with some weighted spacers or sockets; used as a slide hammer. I didn't try this method as I didn't have the proper materials at the ready.

In conclusion today, it looks as though I have most of the parts I will need to button up my cases and get another 30 years out of her. I'm also trying to take into account any parts that should be replaced because, well, it's already apart; so if you have an opinion please make it known.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline IAmCitizenMe

• Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 10:44:38 pm »
Subscribed!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 11:44:51 pm »
knock that shaft with a brass or wooden drift and itll come out easy.

Offline knowsnothing

• Hot Shot
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 07:38:47 am »
I have an assortment of brass drifts and a nice variety of hammers.  Give the word and I will have that thing knocked out quick.   ;D
1978 CB750k Green - 811 engine
1978 CB750k Blue - for sale
1974 CB375F Faded Black - had to have that 6th gear
1976 CB400F Red - in many pieces
1973 CB350F TBD - in many pieces

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 08:06:53 am »
Holy cow! It's been over a month since last post and I've been pushed out to Pg. 4; I better step it up.

Well, good New Year's Eve morning.

The holidays have made forum life a bit slow, but I have recently begun the hunt for parts to start buttoning back up the cases; getting the mighty 550 into running condition. Be patient with me here on this post. ;D

Problem #1: I'm trying to select the bearings, both main and rod, but at the moment I've focused on identifying the mains.

The manual states to pull the crank and reassemble the cases without the bearings. Mic' the journals of the crank, with the measurement falling into either "1" or "2" in the table. Then, using a cylinder gauge, measure the diameter of the seats, with these measurements falling into "A", "B" or "C" in another table. You end up with each journal and seat having a specific number/letter combination which corresponds to the final table and lists the type of bearing needed, "A", "B," "C" or "D" (black, brown, green or yellow). See attached photos.

I have neither a cylinder gauge to measure the seat diameters nor a torque wrench to tighten the cases to spec, so I was hoping to find another method using the production marks stamped on the lower crankcase in conjunction with the numbers stamped on the crank. The lower case is engraved with "BBBBB", while the crank is stamped with "1A-M-1A-1A-1". I am most uncertain with the crank numbers but that was the best I could see and make out. My thought was to take the "B" off of the case and the "1" off of the crank, insert them into the final table (in the manual) to determine bearing color...in this case greens.

The "1A's" and "1" on the crank were stamped in a faded black while the "M" was actually engraved into the cast iron counter-weight.

I know the above is a bit wordy, but I'm hoping for some insight and experience.

Problem #2: The cases and jugs are fresh out of an ultrasonic cleaning and need to be prepped for paint. I was hoping to soda blast them but is there really any place to do that at this time of year; assuming most are blasting outdoors? Maybe you have some other ideas for prep that can be more...contained? I'm open to ideas here.

Additionally needed are thoughts and methods for masking off the parts for prep and paint. I remember reading about some MRieck tricks for painting the engine. Again, I am all for being sent some information to research.

I think that's all for now! Happy New Year!
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 08:07:42 am »
Last page of the bearing selection...
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 09:59:10 am »
The primary shaft removal tool I use is ( I forgot exactly as I haven't done it in a couple months) is either the top back engine mount or the bottom engine mount minus the pegs. I thread it into the primary shaft end on the clutch side, leave the nut as a stop on the other end,adjust an adjustable wrench so it just slides on the bolt, a couple light taps with a dead blow hammer ,and the whole shaft slides out easy.  slide it out slow because you'll want to see how it is put together as you take it apart, there is bearings on there too that you may want to check out and/or replace.  you'll want to do that before you put it all back together and have another failure . have you checked the slack on your primary drive chain? when they run slack, it starts to mark and eat the bottom mount (perch) for the timing chain adjuster.they don't just stretch lengthwise they swing left and right too, that's the action that eats the perch.
   If you haven't pulled the primary shaft and think that you can get away with it, please don't, you are right there,at least take it out and inspect it. Piece of mind is worth allot when you've gone this far.  RB
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 10:15:48 am »
Hey RB,

Ended up getting the primary shaft pulled using an engine bolt and slide hammer. The chain is in good condition with no deformation, or slack, in the linkage. No marked surfaces in the case from excessive wear.

You're right too, while I am in here I am going to get as much piece of mind as possible. I've got the parts I need, sans some main bearings, to reassemble the cases so I'm moving in the forward direction.

Next up is prepping the engine for paint and buying more parts for assembly.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline purf_man

• Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 07:06:31 pm »
I like using an engine bolt and the flywheel.....stuff I already have.
1975 CB550
1978 RD400

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 08:20:06 am »
On your comments about bearing selection... I think the method described by the manual is the method which will give you the correct bearing clearance even when considering wear on your crankshaft main journals.

The method you are describing would be replacing the main bearings with what was in there from the factory (I think). This will give the proper clearances given your crankshaft has not worn too much. If your crankshaft main journals have worn undersized then you may need a different color bearing shell than the factory had used.

I'm not 100% positive on this but maybe someone can confirm.

IW

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 10:15:31 am »
On your comments about bearing selection... I think the method described by the manual is the method which will give you the correct bearing clearance even when considering wear on your crankshaft main journals.

The method you are describing would be replacing the main bearings with what was in there from the factory (I think). This will give the proper clearances given your crankshaft has not worn too much. If your crankshaft main journals have worn undersized then you may need a different color bearing shell than the factory had used.

I'm not 100% positive on this but maybe someone can confirm.

IW

IW,

You are correct in understanding the method I plan on using; replacing the bearings to "default factory settings" per the cross reference of crankcase and crank numbers. I spoke to Anders and Mike R. about potential clearance or wear issues and came out of those still believing it's ok to go with the factory, which in my case were greens (blacks and yellows are no longer available).

Nevertheless I will be sure to mic and measure as much as humanly possible prior to assembly...
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline minimo

• Expert
  • 1977 CB550F 1975 CB400F 1959 Ducati 200 Americano
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 02:02:58 pm »
Crush, loving the documentation and crisp photos. Thanks for doing that. Following along as I stumble with my 550 rebuild. All the best to you and yours!

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 06:43:51 pm »
Crush, loving the documentation and crisp photos. Thanks for doing that. Following along as I stumble with my 550 rebuild. All the best to you and yours!

Thanks Minimo! Things have been slow-going on the build. Weather has been too cold to paint, so I put that aside and bought a spare motor to run until I could complete work on the original. Went to replace the valve cover on the spare and found two bent valves so now I am replacing the gasket from the base upward. I hope to have it together in a few weeks once work slows up a bit.

I also picked up a 1975 CB750F that is taking up some of my time. Too many projects with too little time ;D
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600