Author Topic: CB750 - Evelyn  (Read 6837 times)

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
CB750 - Evelyn
« on: November 27, 2012, 02:24:43 pm »
I'm just going to transfer my build thread post for post from the New Member Intro forum. 

I have this pic from when the bike was first delivered to me.  It now has Carpy's exhaust.  Being rejetted and rear wheel is being relaced this weekend.  Wheels will be dropped off at the powdercoater on Tuesday to get a good, glossy black finish. 

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
Re: CB750 - Evelyn
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 02:25:38 pm »
Hey dudes, just a quick update.  It did indeed just end up being a quick adjustment.  I'm glad I went with intuition.  Everyone told me to just change the oil first and then get back to them.  Well, that would've been a pain in the ass because I would have to remove Carpy's exhaust, replace the crush gaskets, and spend more money before resorting to the cheap/free potential solutions.  Bike runs like a beast now.  :)

The bike was backed into and knocked over about a month ago, so I finally worked things out with the other party's insurance.  The tank is being repainted at Sideways Auto Salon.  I was initially thinking of trying to handpaint the tank emblems to freshen them up, but I decided to buy some NOS ones on eBay. 

Since the tank is at Sideways and inoperable, I decided to update some of the normal wear and tear parts, many of which I didn't even inspect before ordering the parts.  The old shoes and springs for them are in great condition if anyone needs them.  They shoes actually look new besides all the dust that has accumulated on them.  Some of what will go on the bike tomorrow will include new clutch cable, throttle cables, brake hoses, brake pads (I got a new seat pad and caliper o-ring as well), master cylinder rebuild kit, black clubman's (the old chrome/polished ones are up for grabs), shoes with springs, clutch lever spring, rear shocks, Progressive fork springs, titty grips, master cylinder rebuild, wheel bearings, and a few other miscellaneous things.  All the associated OEM dust boots, o-rings, etc. freaking add up.  Holy jeebus.

Parts:

Here is the bike as she sits:

Naked!

I powdercoated the rims, spokes, hubs, caliper, drum cover and inner rim of the rotor gloss black.  I left the nipples as is since I didn't want to screw up any powdercoating while truing.  I got it done at Metalink for $65 a wheel.  A little bit of delays on their part, but I heard it was to be expected.  It was too good of a price to pass up.  Got everything back yesterday, and I think they came out beautifully.  I forgot to remove a few rubber bits, and the powdercoaters had an oversight, so they stretched/melted in the baking process.  I also forgot to include the right cover that goes over the retainer, but I think it might work out well.  Might be a good contrast to all the black if I polish it.  I didn't coat the drum/shoe arm either, so again, I hope my forgetfulness will actually pay off in terms of aesthetics.  If not, dammit.  My goal of getting the bike in fighting condition by tomorrow is delayed as I'll have to wait on those parts now.  Suck.  I guess I'll polish the forks while I'm waiting on the parts.

Bonus pic of a professional shoot of my son and I done by Danial Mora.  The location is Liberty on E 6th.  He loves the jacket so much that I have to keep the air conditioning on all the time.  He won't take it off!

This is the first time I've really worked on a bike, so it's been quite the educational experience.  It has been a pretty smooth transition as I've always been a shadetree mechanic with my cars.  I had all the issues that any newb would have, ie. removing the bearings, bearing retainers, etc, but it has really gone pretty smoothly.  I'm really most concerned with truing the wheels at this point, but I think I should be fine with the stand and dial indicator I purchased.  I have a friend that works at a bicycle shop helping me too.  From what I've read, it's a walk in the park compared to a road bicycle wheel. 

Thanks for looking!

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 02:26:19 pm »
Pic of the rear wheel re-laced with tire mounted:

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 02:27:34 pm »
Tank repainted and both wheels finally done:

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 02:28:02 pm »
Spent about 6 hours sanding Monday and Tuesday.  I used Mother's for the polish.  Results weren't too bad.

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 02:28:32 pm »
I was debating on pulling the trigger on some tank decals from this spot:  http://knkcycles.com/honda-cb750-decals.htm. 

I don't really want to paint the center black for my specific year, so I am thinking of going with the earlier stripes.  Thoughts?  Wondering if the gold will be too much of a contrast for all the black I have on the bike.

Offline Davidov

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 CB750 F3
    • My CB750F project log
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 02:29:18 pm »
Nice. Good to see more 750s on TX roads.
-David

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 06:05:27 am »
Got some stuff back together:

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 06:14:43 am »
I bought pads from VintageCB750 for my specific model year (75), and they didn't fit.  Also, the inner piston seal was too small in diameter.  This leads me to believe that the caliper is from a different bike.  Can anyone verify which year model this caliper came from so I won't have to go through a process of trial and error?

Offline JoeHip

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 06:23:57 am »
nice bike  ;)

brake looks like an f1/k7 to me

good luck with finishing it
'76 750F1

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 06:25:14 am »
nice bike  ;)

brake looks like an f1/k7 to me

good luck with finishing it

Thanks and thanks!!!!!!!

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 06:26:01 am »
Maybe a dumb question, but do you think the same lower brake hose will work?

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 06:37:17 am »
Most likely.  Measure your banjo bolt or whatever fitting you have on it and it should be M10x1.25 - that's all that matters.

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 06:38:36 am »
Thanks-a-million.

Offline jerry h

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 06:54:56 am »
Nice bike!
Can you expand on what trueing stand you bought and that process?
"It is not the critic who counts, the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose hands are covered with grease and oil."

K2 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,105097.0.html

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 06:57:16 am »
Nice bike!
Can you expand on what trueing stand you bought and that process?

I deleted all of my Amazon orders for some reason.  I just went on there and looked at the best rated stands within a reasonable price, ie. < $40, I believe.

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 06:58:13 am »
I also bought a dial indicator for under $20.  I'm sure you can actually find that at Harbor Freight for cheaper.

Offline Dream750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 07:48:19 am »
I was debating on pulling the trigger on some tank decals from this spot:  http://knkcycles.com/honda-cb750-decals.htm. 

I don't really want to paint the center black for my specific year, so I am thinking of going with the earlier stripes.  Thoughts?  Wondering if the gold will be too much of a contrast for all the black I have on the bike.

Your decal link is not working. :(

Maybe go with the Euro style K2 gold tank stripes? Notice how they have an additional thin white line as compared to the solid gold style.

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 08:06:54 am »

Your decal link is not working. :(

Maybe go with the Euro style K2 gold tank stripes? Notice how they have an additional thin white line as compared to the solid gold style.

That's what I was thinking.  I just don't want there to be too many colors on the bike though, so it's kind of killing me.  Although I think gold and black look great together, there are also stripes just like the ones you posted but primarily black with thin strips of silver.  Thoughts?

Does this link work?  http://knkcycles.com/honda-cb750-decals.htm

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:09:21 am by eelliiss »

Offline Dream750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 08:32:13 am »
That's what I was thinking.  I just don't want there to be too many colors on the bike though, so it's kind of killing me.  Although I think gold and black look great together, there are also stripes just like the ones you posted but primarily black with thin strips of silver.  Thoughts?

The “new” link is working now. :)

I see the black K2 stripes with the thin silver lines. This would be a good option as it's more subtle than the gold and one less color.

(It’s always a tough call when trying to decide on a paint color & graphic combination)

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 08:42:40 am »

The “new” link is working now. :)

I see the black K2 stripes with the thin silver lines. This would be a good option as it's more subtle than the gold and one less color.

(It’s always a tough call when trying to decide on a paint color & graphic combination)

Could not agree with you more!  I do have titanium wrap for the Carpy exhaust though, so that has me slightly thinking about the gold to tie those two together.  Hurrmmmm.....

Offline Dream750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 08:53:58 pm »
A bit outside of the box, but here's a couple of more stripe ideas for you to kick around:

Offline racinchase

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 09:30:12 pm »
A bit outside of the box, but here's a couple of more stripe ideas for you to kick around:
I like the second option! 8)
“The right bike, the right day, the right road, I just pretty much feel at one with the universe. When I feel like I don’t fit anywhere or I’m lonely or I’m all screwed up in the head, I get on my bike and go for a ride and it’s like all of the sudden, I’m fixed.” – Indian Larry

1975 CB750 K
2009 R1

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 08:17:34 am »

The third one, which is specific to my year, looks great without the black center!  Thanks for the photo. 

Tinkered with the bike last night.  Put on the headlight, titty grips, and levers.

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 08:21:16 am »
Also, does anyone know where I can source a new metal strip that lines the bottom of the gas tank?