Author Topic: How good were the Marzocchi Strada shocks?  (Read 4204 times)

Offline singedebile

• Hot Shot
How good were the Marzocchi Strada shocks?
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:23:16 pm »
Especially compared to a new set of Hagon shocks for instance?

I have seen there are rebuild kits available still.. and from the bikes I have seen them on they must have been decent. But I am trying to determine how much I should be willing to pay for a set (there are some NOS ones on sitting on ebay for $500). I am definitely into the period look of them.

Thanks for the help!
1975 cb550f super sport, 1976 Yamaha IT400, 1974 Suzuki T500

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
Re: How good were the Marzocchi Strada shocks?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:19:50 am »
Those are some nice looking shocks. I'd get them regardless of quality (they can't be too bad though if they're rebuildable and have a reservoir), just for the period correct look (and reservoir shocks are the bee's knees).

Although... Will these be for your 550f? If so, they don't look like they'll fit the stock swingarm, since I believe the 550f is eye to clevis, not eye to eye.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:20:00 am »
very good. Almost back in the day ohlins good for their day when you could get them setup properly. Not rare for a lot of bikes because in additon to being sold aftermarket they came on nearly every twin shock sporting ducati starting with the later bevels (I think some later years of the Hailwood rep, 900SDS, Pantahs, etc) and well as really late triumph TSS and anniversary editions. I have a set that were originally mounted on my 900F that have traveled to a few bikes with me (another 900F, SOHC 750F). They need a rebuild at this point but they aren't leaking so that's a positive. The value in them is because they are cheap and easy to rebuild, so once you get the spring dialed in you never need to buy another pair of shocks.

They are excellent road shocks, not sure if I would use them to race in leiu of something more modern. For $500 NOS I can think of a lot of newer shocks I would rather have - aren't twin shock ohlins for a cb750 $550 brand new?
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline singedebile

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 03:09:18 pm »
That was just a placeholder image, the guy on ebay has them with the Honda Clevis mount as well.

I was just trying to figure out if paying say $200 for them would be better then getting a new set of Hagons for the same price or at least equivalent.

If I was to spring for Ohlins for my CB550 can you really get them for $550? I just looked on their site (both the USA and Swedish ones) and they show them available for the 750 but not the 500-550.... though with a different spring the 750 ones would likely work?

I guess I will hope to bump into a good deal this winter, and if that doesnt happen I will just get the Hagon's.
1975 cb550f super sport, 1976 Yamaha IT400, 1974 Suzuki T500

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 03:24:05 pm »
for $200 I would take them all day long over hagons. But I don't know where you are going to find a set for $200.

I have seen them for $550 in the past from some dealers, may be a little more now but the basic ohlins are not $1000 like everybody thinks. When you are at the ohlins/works/racetech level of shocks you get springs setup for your specific weight and the weight of the bike. At that price point there is no "off the shelf" - everything is custom tailored.
Maintenance Matters Most