Author Topic: cb550 clutch issues please HELP  (Read 761 times)

Offline Miggs23

cb550 clutch issues please HELP
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:25:30 pm »
hello everyone. does anyone know what this issue is? i have a 1977 cb550 when i pull in the clutch (bike being off) and shift to first or second the tire will not spin and (bike being on) the motor stalls when its but into first, i dont think the clutch is disengaging or what could this issue be? Can anyone shed some light please?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: cb550 clutch issues please HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 12:04:14 am »
it might just be sticky plate syndrome,next time before you start the bike,with the key off,pull in the clutch and kick the bike over and over as if trying to start it,,the clutch should break free in three or four kicks and the kicker no longer turn the motor over but just go freewheeling,,now start the bike and try riding it,,it might also be needing a clutch adjustment if you cant break it loose.

Offline Lars

• Hot Shot
Re: cb550 clutch issues please HELP
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 12:10:09 am »
+1 on sticky plates.
Start the engine, pull the lever, get the bike moving with your legs and shift to 1. gear. Keep the lever pulled in. The bike will still go forward. If you have a steep hill, go up the hill, your lever still pulled in. Eventually, the sticky plates will come loose and the clutch will operate normal. Alternatively, disassemble the clutch, clean, or replace the plates.
...if you got the ability to act...