Author Topic: cb550 veloce racer  (Read 26751 times)

Offline DustyRags

• I'm not skilled, I'm just a
  • Hot Shot
  • Just try it and see what happens
Re: cb550 veloce racer
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2013, 09:06:35 am »
Looks amazing! I love how you're reviving the way old school style of bikes.

I'm a bit lost on the fork springs though- didn't your earlier pics show the springs beneath the head bearing? Did you change your design, or am I just not getting it?
1976 CB550K- sold
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 500- sold
2000 CB750 Nighthawk - sold
1975 XL350 - crashed
2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650 - sold

Offline SF

• Hot Shot
  • I burn gas very well
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2013, 10:24:42 am »
that looks kool man
92 wr250 sold
98 zx6r sold
04 zx10r
73 cb350 twin
75 cb550f
75 cb550f
72 r5c
rgid springer bobber project

Offline motorlou

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2013, 01:09:01 pm »
yep they will still be underneath the lower triple tree just like in the pic of the 1924 norton i posted earlier. i will be buying the springs for it later today and hopefully work on it over the weekend? stay tuned this is going to be cool!

Offline DustyRags

• I'm not skilled, I'm just a
  • Hot Shot
  • Just try it and see what happens
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2013, 01:31:24 pm »
Looking forward to this!
1976 CB550K- sold
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 500- sold
2000 CB750 Nighthawk - sold
1975 XL350 - crashed
2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650 - sold

Offline motorlou

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2013, 05:41:26 pm »
all right guys, getting to the thick of this front end now. today i took some flatstock, 3/8" x 1 1/4" and made the lower linkage arms for the girder. i had some harley shock mount bolts laying around from other projects so i decided to utilize them since they were the size i had planned on using anyhow. i turned them down on the lathe and then i heat press fitted/welded them into the lower triple tree as well as the girder. still have to fabricate the top tree and linkage. wow, it takes alot of hours to make these things folks! prolly have about 30 hrs. into the front end so far!!

harley shock mount bolts re-incarnated

[imghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/motolou/DSCN0847_zps211beea1.jpg]http://[/img]

[imghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/motolou/DSCN0851_zps5db476c0.jpg][/img]

Offline motorlou

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2013, 04:53:48 pm »
hey guys just wanted to throw up a few pics of the front end. i have been keeping track of how many hours have been put into it. been roughly 40 hours so far!! still have to mount the shocks which i am waiting for in the mail but that will prolly add another 4-6 hours and i'm done. here is where i'm at this afternoon.........

top tree

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2013, 06:29:16 pm »
A true talent you have. Looks like art! You keeping it bare? Almost looks like it belongs bare.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline motorlou

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2013, 07:09:29 pm »
i was thinking about it but i don't know, i always end up leaning for paint. it will have a very simple paint job, prolly all white

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
  • Suffering from MDD - Mechanical Deficit Disorder
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:24 pm »
I love the work you're doing. That front end is crazy cool!

I can't tell from the pics. How are you handling the upper rear motor mount?  The frame looks open behind the motor.

Offline motorlou

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2013, 07:42:55 pm »
I love the work you're doing. That front end is crazy cool!

I can't tell from the pics. How are you handling the upper rear motor mount?  The frame looks open behind the motor.

i still have to do some more work on the frame such as the seat post down tube, i usually tie the top rear motor mount to that

Offline SF

• Hot Shot
  • I burn gas very well
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2013, 07:49:59 pm »
i like the big head light,nice job man
92 wr250 sold
98 zx6r sold
04 zx10r
73 cb350 twin
75 cb550f
75 cb550f
72 r5c
rgid springer bobber project

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2013, 07:53:33 pm »
I'll keep an eye on your build for the frame updates.

How are you shaping and making the flat bar pieces on the front end?  Also, are you brazing the tanks and welding everything else?

Can you tell I'm envious of your space, tools and mad skills?!

Offline motorlou

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2013, 08:09:20 pm »
i like the big head light,nice job man

ha ha ha the headlight is being loved and hated at the same time on the different forums where i have this project posted. i thought it was fitting of the style i am going after. they didn't use tiny headlights back in the day.

Offline motorlou

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2013, 08:14:27 pm »
I'll keep an eye on your build for the frame updates.

How are you shaping and making the flat bar pieces on the front end?  Also, are you brazing the tanks and welding everything else?

Can you tell I'm envious of your space, tools and mad skills?!

i made the links out of 1/2" flat plate. my local metal supply didnt have 1/2 x 1 1/4" flatbar in stock so i just cut the pieces out of a piece of plate i had laying around. i like brazing tanks just cause it is fun and i don't have to chase a bunch of pinholes down when i finish. i am tig welding everything else though.

ps, i have a brazing video i made on youtube. i think i posted it on this build thread also. you can find me on you tube (motolou) or my blog http://louisbuiltchoppers.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:20:41 pm by motorlou »

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2013, 08:31:33 pm »
I saw your brazing video earlier when you put it in the build. Didn't know you could use propane for it!

When you cut the flat plate, do you have a plasma or use a band or jig saw?  How about the finishing work -  maybe a belt sander for the edges?  Curious in case I find some folding money for tools!

Offline motorlou

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2013, 08:48:11 pm »
I saw your brazing video earlier when you put it in the build. Didn't know you could use propane for it!

When you cut the flat plate, do you have a plasma or use a band or jig saw?  How about the finishing work -  maybe a belt sander for the edges?  Curious in case I find some folding money for tools!

yeah, propane is better because it doesn't leave soot like acetelyne. it also burns alot less hot than acetelyne so less warping.....alot cheaper too. i always wanted a band saw but i never found the will to buy one! i just use my grinder with a dewalt metal cut off blade from lowes. i've learned to do miracles with that combo! for finishing, i use a flap disk on my grinder first then i use a flap sanding wheel from harbor freight on my bench grinder

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2013, 06:56:16 am »
great thread man glad you made that how to brazing video ive always been curious about brazing maybe its something ill look into one of these days keep up the good work and that front end you hand built is BAD ASS!! plus im always a sucker for oversized and knobby tires. ill defiantly be following

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2013, 07:16:34 am »
I thought that your work was fascinating since I first saw it. And I'm not one to  just say that easily, and  I am one to say what is is that is a bad idea or state that something should be improved especially to someone who's work I respect ( otherwise it wouldn't matter to me) so here goes,
 The neck angle and fork angle doesn't flow, makes the entire machine look broken to me.
 The front fork angle to the neck , looks like the top forward connection could go at least 1 bolt hole back , in essence  , mechanically extending the rake, but I'm guessing that would change your spring ratio probably making the ride really stiff.
   Like I said ,I'm a fan of your work but me thinks somethings a miss. Respect RB
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline motorlou

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2013, 03:28:31 pm »
I thought that your work was fascinating since I first saw it. And I'm not one to  just say that easily, and  I am one to say what is is that is a bad idea or state that something should be improved especially to someone who's work I respect ( otherwise it wouldn't matter to me) so here goes,
 The neck angle and fork angle doesn't flow, makes the entire machine look broken to me.
 The front fork angle to the neck , looks like the top forward connection could go at least 1 bolt hole back , in essence  , mechanically extending the rake, but I'm guessing that would change your spring ratio probably making the ride really stiff.
   Like I said ,I'm a fan of your work but me thinks somethings a miss. Respect RB

thank you for your reply rb. i love to hear everyone's opinion be it constructive or not, makes me think about my designs for the next time i get to this point you know? i think it has to do with two things, first, each bike i make is a one off so i don't really perfect designs most of the time because i pretty much only do it once. secondly, i have to admit, i am not a very detail oriented guy in any particular way, always been one of my perks. i know it doesn't sound very pro but the honest truth is that i just eyeball things most of the time vs. sit there and analyze it. the top links ended up having to be 1/2 inch shorter for the girder to be more or less aligned with the neck and still have a decent amount of trail. did you know that a girder design is the best type of suspension a bike can have? the reason being is that the trail will remain pretty much constant through the travel of the suspension. all other types of suspension have pretty significant changes through the travel of the forks.  however, if you make the top links shorter on a girder, when the suspension extends (on take off) the trail decreases. it is recommended to keep the top and bottom links to the same lengths or real close. i guess i just settle for a mixture of performance as well as astetics. here is a very interesting read about suspensions for anyone interested...................

http://chopperhandbook.com/forks.htm

Offline motorlou

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2013, 05:42:39 pm »
hey folks just want to put up some pics of the handlebars and a sissy bar i am working on. it is not really meant to hold up a passenger, just kinda look kool! check em out.................

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2013, 08:02:59 am »
Very neat looking.

Offline motorlou

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2013, 05:48:36 pm »
all right guys, been busy with customer bikes but i finally got this girder finished. that was a tad past 50 hours of fabricating that damn thing!..........but it it's going to be one bad ass mama jama when it's all painted up and such. i have about a week of fabrication left on this bike and then it'll be time to break her down for paint/chrome/ pretty and #$%*.  check it out..................

Offline Blitzburgh207

• Hot Shot
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2013, 07:15:26 pm »
Sweet build man I love the one-off design and style.  I'm interested to see the finishing touches.  Subscribed!
1978 CB750 K8

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2013, 08:10:26 pm »
Are those mountain bike shocks?
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline motorlou

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2013, 08:21:49 pm »
yep 1500 lbs x 2 will prolly be too stiff. i should have run 2 1000lbs.  here is another one i did with 1x1000 lb shock and it was just a tad soft.......