Author Topic: "Modest Maria" a Hawker Hurricane tribute cb750 cafe  (Read 5550 times)

Offline DarcyB

"Modest Maria" a Hawker Hurricane tribute cb750 cafe
« on: January 02, 2013, 09:11:30 pm »
Hi everyone, I purchased my first street bike a 1978 CB750 at the beginning of last years riding season. Too anxious I was to get a classic old bike that I purchased it without doing a lot of research and found out after joining this forum that I did over pay, but hey you live and learn. After getting it running decently enough with the help of the folks here on the forum I'm deciding to rebuild the bike from top to bottom. I've always had a passion for airplanes and motorcycles and being that I love the old Hawker Hurricane fighter planes I thought I would put a little bit of their lines and paint schemes to the bike. I will also be getting the cylinders bored, a hotter cam, gears back cut, ported heads, and some other performance modifications.

Now come the pictures...hopefully  :P

This is what i started out with.
My build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=116471.0

"I believe every human has a finite amount of heartbeats, I don't intend to waste any of mine." -Neil Armstrong

Offline DarcyB

Re: "Modest Maria" a Hawker Hurricane tribute cb750 cafe
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:05:43 pm »
So it's been awhile since I started this thread but as I have a break I thought I would post some progress pictures up of what I've done over the last couple days.

Also pictures for myself for reference when I reassemble.

I will be trimming the seat just not sure yet whether I'm going to keep the original seat pan or go with something I make.

More reference pics  :)

The exhaust will end right as the frame starts upwards with a nice curve to the side, 4 individual pipes.

The inside pipes will also be at the same hieght or as close as possible to the outside pipes as well.

As you can see the points cover is dented and missing a screw, it was like this when I first bought the bike.

I did replace the points with a pamco ignition, I was having quite a bit of troubles with them and I did want a more care free system. You can call me lazy if you want  :) but I do like it more. Of course the reason behind the missing screw is the broken threads and a small hole in the bottom of case behind these threads. Anybody have any recomendations for fixing this?

Reference pics  :)

Missing another screw   ::)

and another

Also turns out I need a new clutch spring as well haha

and clutch cable

When I installed the pamco kit I interpreted it wrong and got the wiring backwards from the instructions so the colours had to be reversed for the coils.

Getting ready to remove the engine  :D

...and the engines out  :D surprisingly it took my cousin and I about a 1/2 hour after all the bolts were removed. I thought that was a pretty reasonable amount of time considering it's the first time I have ever removed an engine.

me puting stuff away calling it a night  ;D

and where I've left off so far

"I believe every human has a finite amount of heartbeats, I don't intend to waste any of mine." -Neil Armstrong

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 03:09:12 pm »
You've got to love progress, no matter how slow it comes... ;D ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 03:57:44 pm »
Love your engine dolly ;) and garage too.  I have that same seat on one of my 750s-I find it comfortable and the lower height helps my short inseam.  Keep plugging away...Larry

Offline Greg H

• When two cams is one too many .
  • Hot Shot
  • Still crazy after all these years .
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:34:55 pm »
Nice one mate . I love the workshop  ;) . I bet you don't need to be wearing a bob hat a thick jacket and thermal boots like I've been wearing whilst working on my bike over christmas  ;D ;D. Good luck with your build .

Offline DarcyB

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:26:53 am »
Thanks everyone. I would enjoy a garage but hey, gotta make due with what you got :). I do like how comfortable the seat is but just the look of it from the back bothers me  ;D so I'm gonna bring it in at the widest part and give it more of a hump look for the passenger portion.

It's the only reasonable place I have to work on the thing, the next closest person that has room for me to work on it is an hour away and with the limited time I have to work on it I don't want to spend that much time driving back and forth :) :)

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:12:47 am »
Are you doing a bike rebuild in a studio apartment? lol

If so I think you've one-upped my 3rd floor condo spare bedroom build. ha

IW

Offline DarcyB

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:18:50 am »
Sorry iron_worker, you got me beat me there lol. I'm in a condo as well but on the main floor.

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 11:20:29 am »
In the one pic it looks like it's in the kitchen. I see a dishwasher. ha

IW

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 11:54:17 am »
Are you gonna fit in Merlin motor? Just wondering ;D

Offline DarcyB

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 03:28:15 pm »
Lol unfortunately no merlin is gonna be in this bike. Finding one around now days is very hard  :).

I've been working away from home for the last little while so it's very hard to get time to work on the bike but last weekend I was able to make a little more progress.

The signal lights will be replaced with a smaller set of LED lights.

I will be grinding off the centre stand mount along with the brackets that come down and mount the passenger pegs and mufflers.

With the frame completely stripped of all parts it will be now time to get the frame prepared for sand blasting, gussets, cutting and powdercoating  :D :D

Offline DarcyB

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 07:09:27 pm »
I started prepping the frame for powder coat this weekend by grinding off some of the things I didn't want on anymore such as; mounts for the airbox as I will be sticking with the pod filters, the hinges and lock mount for the seat as I will be making a new seat pan and seat, the passenger peg bracket were removed as well as the centre stand mounting brackets as well. The tabs for mounting the left side cover were removed and replaced with gussetts that will second as the side cover mounting tab as well using a slotted head dzus fastener as the hawker hurricane used for all its access panels.

I also ended up having to delet the helmet hangers of the frame as well because they will not work with the new seat pan that I will be making for  the bike. Just checking them with the old seat befor grinding everything off.

I was able to get some sandblasting done on a few pieces I will be getting powder coated with the frame, although the sandblasting wasn't able to get all the ols paint off so i will have to go over everything with a variety of wire and nylon wheels to get the rest or see what the powder coating place can do for me if anything  :)

Offline DarcyB

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 08:09:56 pm »
So I was wondering if anyone had some different methods on how to get the old rear shock bushings out of the swingarm. I've already tried using a bolt with a 27mm socket on one side and a 15mm socket on the other and draw the two sockets together, it worked well for the first bushing but with the second bushing I've already broken three bolts  :-\ any help would be appreciated.

Right now I'm waiting for my welding buddy to have some free time to tig weld all the gussets on, he works night shift all 7 days so I have to be patient for the to happen  :)

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 06:24:10 am »
Step it up to a grade 8 bolt ... or heat the swingarm... or both.

IW

Offline DarcyB

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 05:20:40 pm »
Thanks, I will. If it still ends up not working my buddy that owns VEX performance has a hydraulic press that he is willing to let me use if this doesn't work. I'm planning on getting new rear shock bushings anyway.