Author Topic: 77 550 F rear bearing removal  (Read 708 times)

Offline Clinto

• Enthusiast
77 550 F rear bearing removal
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:41:39 pm »
So I finally got the left hand threaded bearing retainer off and thought I would be good to go.

After some researching on here, I know that the bearings must be driven out from the opposite side of the wheel. I'm trying to get the sprocket side bearing off first. I move the spacer around in the wheel in order to get a lip of the bearing to hit on but since my brass drift wasn't long enough to use I'm using a long flathead screwdriver (I figured I'm replacing the bearing anyway who cares if it gets torn up) and I'm scared I'm running out of lip to hit on as you may be able to see in the pictures:

I've tried soaking it in PB Blaster, heating the area around the bearing with a heat gun and NOTHING is working. Any tips before I tear the bearing up past the point of being able to remove it?

77 CB550F2

Offline db22

• Hot Shot
  • Old and in the way.
Re: 77 550 F rear bearing removal
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:17:14 pm »
Just finished the rear bearings on my '75 550K.  I drove the large bearing out first, with a large flathead screwdriver.  It caused some minor burring of the small spacer, easily removed with a round file.  The small bearing is easy then, using a piece of 1" maple dowel.  The trick is to constantly move the screwdriver or dowel around, to keep the bearing straight as possible.  Use a hair dryer to keep the hub warm, apply WD-40, and expect to spend some time at the task.  It'll come out eventually.
1975 CB550K (rider)
1975 CB550K (shaping up, slowly)
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride. . .

Offline CafeDawg

• Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost!
  • Hot Shot
  • Gone to the Dogs
Re: 77 550 F rear bearing removal
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:23:47 pm »
+1 on db22's approach.  I set my whole wheel on the wood stove to heat up hub, or go buy a small propane torch.  Push the long spacer to one side get screwdriver on smaller machined spacer and drive hard.  I think heat here is a key component just as freezing the bearings aids in reinstall.  Good luck. Oh and I used the old bearings and a piece of wood to drive new bearings in.

Respect
CD
Respect & Understanding. U get what U give!
1976 CB550 basket case cafe rebuild
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=106235.0
1978 CB750F evolving, daily rider
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=89745.0