Author Topic: DSS Electronic Ignition.  (Read 10271 times)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: DSS Electronic Ignition.
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 11:50:29 pm »
these 500/550s have a different assembly to the 750 advancer and dont suffer from the bent bolt/shaft syndrome.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 12:02:46 am »
Correct dave but they do suffer when an idiot, sorry i mean challenged PO, does not clean the end of the crank or back of the advancer so it don't sit square and/or damages the pin so it don't fit right
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 12:14:32 am »
yeah ive seen a couple bryanj with quite a bit of lash which makes the actual mark speak with forked tongue,,wont affect the imbalance setting of the points pair though,some people lack attention to detail and cause #$%*.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 12:47:49 am »
I just poured myself another Jack Daniels Honey Liquer, let the games begin! ;D
Not bad stuff Terry. ;)  I wonder is what kind of Oil would get the most out of a bike using lthis unit.

Yeah, it's deepest darkest winter here Bobby and my throat is a little ragged, so I find the JD (or even JB) Honey liquer's to be rather medicinal. It also improves my singing voice, makes me tougher, and much more attractive to the ladies........... ;D

I like to use the cheapest oil I can get....usually from wal-mart.

Actually you're probably still doing your bike a big favor mate, even Walmart oil will be better quality than that available when our bike's were new.  ;)

MAGNETO'S ! There is no substitute !

Ha ha, no worries Jon, I wouldn't mind a magneto, but as I'll be running my OEM electrics for starter, lights and horn etc, I can't see the point in adding a heavy magneto that might also cost me a couple of HP due to the extra effort of rotating against the resistance of a maggy. Would be cool on a drag bike though! Cheers, Terry. ;D 

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline TRPLE

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 06:12:11 am »
I was looking for the "definitive" electronic ignition thread, but in lieu of that I'll accept the most recent.  I have gathered from a fair amount of reading that almost exclusively, the "advantage" to electronic ignitions is reduced/eliminated servicing of the points.  Are there no systems that take advantage of improved ignition curves through electronics? 

- Matt
'76 Honda CB400F
'72 Yamaha CS5
'09 Guzzi Griso 8v

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 12:52:29 pm »
the dyna 2000 has programmable curves,the boyer brandsden units have the curve electroniclly set in the unit.
http://www.gremlinracetech.com/product/BBMP
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:54:36 pm by dave500 »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 02:05:59 pm »
I might try the boyer on the 1st bike Dave... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 02:12:42 pm »
the micro power with the small coils is their top unit,it shares the same rotor and pick up plate as the micro digital.

Offline TRPLE

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 04:46:32 pm »
I should have noted I have a 400F.  My understanding from various related threads is that Dyna systems are a bite of a strain on the 350 & 400 charging systems.    Regarding the Boyer, you say the curve is programmed into the unit... does that mean it's programmable, or that it has a more aggressive or dynamic curve than stock (but not programmable)?
'76 Honda CB400F
'72 Yamaha CS5
'09 Guzzi Griso 8v

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 05:03:47 pm »
Have you checked out the Hondaman unit?  It is the perfect setup for the baby 4's, I'll be using one on my 350 twin when I get it going.  If you want to play with ignition advance curve, you can do it old school style by changing weights and spring tensions on the advance unit.
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 06:48:19 pm »
the boyer one is non adjustable and is suppossed to be the same as the factory curve.

Offline TRPLE

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 06:46:19 am »
I've read about the Hondaman unit, and it's among the possibilities I'm considering.  I think the cost of a NOS points plate and the Hondaman is comparable to the cost of electronic units.  Right now I'm trying to gather the advantages and differences between the options, and it seems like there really is just one advantage to pretty much all electronic units... decreased or eliminated maintenance.  The unit mentioned earlier in this thread (mfr escapes me just now) is the only one reported to have any increased or adjustable advance. 

In the spirit of not just reduced maintenance but also increased dependability, the Hondaman seems to win hands down.  I've owned various SOHC/4s for 12 years and I can set points fine.  Particularly if I thought I was doing it for the "last" time with the Hondaman unit, i may even do a better job! 

I do admit I was hoping to find something that offered an increase in performance, but those options seem scarce.

- Matt
'76 Honda CB400F
'72 Yamaha CS5
'09 Guzzi Griso 8v

Offline grasscutter

• Enthusiast
  • Love the CB650.
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 05:00:49 pm »
I've read about the Hondaman unit, and it's among the possibilities I'm considering.  I think the cost of a NOS points plate and the Hondaman is comparable to the cost of electronic units.  Right now I'm trying to gather the advantages and differences between the options, and it seems like there really is just one advantage to pretty much all electronic units... decreased or eliminated maintenance.  The unit mentioned earlier in this thread (mfr escapes me just now) is the only one reported to have any increased or adjustable advance. 

In the spirit of not just reduced maintenance but also increased dependability, the Hondaman seems to win hands down.  I've owned various SOHC/4s for 12 years and I can set points fine.  Particularly if I thought I was doing it for the "last" time with the Hondaman unit, i may even do a better job! 

I do admit I was hoping to find something that offered an increase in performance, but those options seem scarce.

- Matt

You've done research?
Or just asked the question in your own thread?
B/C this has been discussed...oh...1000 times.
Come on!  We're burning daylight!

Offline TRPLE

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 07:55:43 pm »
Thanks for clearing it up.

For all the other worthless forums members like myself, Mr. Grasscutter sent me this helpful outline, after also calling me out for my other worthless posts over the years.  So, without further adieu,

Here's the order in which posting should go:
1-Read up on the project you are about to do.
2- Go do the project.
3-If you run into a roadblock, research that roadblock.
4-If it still presents a problem, post a new thread WITH PICTURES! (without pics, no one can really be sure if you are actually working on the project, or just killing time, posting new 'what if' threads.)
5-Discuss options to overcome the roadblock.
6-Finish the project, and celebrate your success!

I didn't even make it to step 2 before falling apart, so I apologize to the community.
'76 Honda CB400F
'72 Yamaha CS5
'09 Guzzi Griso 8v

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 08:50:40 pm »
Trple, ask what you like mate, grasscutter can be a bit rude at times and hasn't contributed a great deal himself, he is neither the "forum police" nor "moderator" so feel free to ignore his rude posts and ask what ever questions you like, the simple fact that there are piles of threads containing answers to your questions means it is done this way all the time. Generally this is a very helpful community so ask away, absolutely no need to apologize at all.... ;)   There are a few recently new electronic ignitions that are available now that a lot of members would not be aware of so grasscutter is way off the mark...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Spike

• Enthusiast
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 08:18:25 am »
My set was just delivered.  I'm not ready for them just yet as I'll be painting the frame in the next week or so before starting reassembly of the 500.  It looks like a quality product!
Any road...anytime
IBA# 6154
'73 CB 500
Concours C14
BMW R100/7