Author Topic: Which electronic igition should i use  (Read 2336 times)

Offline TheBigCB

Which electronic igition should i use
« on: February 15, 2013, 11:21:56 am »
I have a 71 cb750 that I'm going to build and I'm getting close to getting started. I want to run a fully electronic ignition what I'm wondering is what exact type of dyna ignition to use to get the best bang for my buck and I posted a topic here a little while ago about where to find a stage 3 jet kit for my bike and I was referred to hondamans book I cant afford it right now so any help would be much appreciated

Offline KurtK

Re: Which electronic igition should i use
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 11:43:38 am »
I have had the Hondaman's ignition on my 500 for almost three years over 6000 miles it has never let me down.  It was the best money I spent on my bike...thanks Mark for a great product.

Offline TheBigCB

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 11:50:02 am »
would you say hondaman's ignition is better then dyna if so why

Offline knowsnothing

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 11:55:03 am »
I wouldn't say better per say, they are equally good but different.

The hondaman's ignition uses the points.  So if the unit does happen to #$%* the bed, you can pull it out and use the points as you would normally.

If the dyna #$%*s the bed, you are stranded.

But when working, they both work great.
1978 CB750k Green - 811 engine
1978 CB750k Blue - for sale
1974 CB375F Faded Black - had to have that 6th gear
1976 CB400F Red - in many pieces
1973 CB350F TBD - in many pieces

Offline KurtK

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:04:07 pm »
I like that Hondamans ignition is outside enclosed hot point plate.  I have had capacitors fail ,I believe, because of the heat when I was running points.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:17:24 pm »

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 12:50:49 pm »
I use Pamco and it is a great system.

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 12:52:03 pm »
I use Pamco and it is a great system.

Multiple Pamcos in my garage. They all work great and if you were to have a problem, Pete has the best customer service in the industry.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 01:29:36 pm »
Consensus on the board seems to lean towards PAMCO. Guy has good service and a good product and doesn't have suspect quality control issues that crops up here and there with dyna stuff

Also, there isn't stages, that's a ricer thing. Do you mean you want to bump up the main jets, pilot jets, tweak your needle clip position? If so search there are good guidelines. Tell us the setup you intend on running and we can point you in a direction. Tuning is the name of the game tho you don't have a luxury of little reflashes that someone else did.

You could try jets r us or post a want ad on the board. If you aren't really doing any mods you don't have to change anything. For a free flowing exhaust, k&n drop in filter and hotter ignition most guys hit 125 mainjet max and maybe bump up a pilot jet one size, middle clip position on the needle jet.

Stuff like that^^^ you can look up. Search the left toolbar, there is literally 100's of posts about what you are asking that is why most don't rly answer
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers

Offline 74750k4

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 01:37:35 pm »
use a boyer micro power.
http://www.gremlinracetech.com/product/BBMP

Well, I'd be a bit sceptical of any marketing person that came up with using that "digital" coil BS. There is no such thing as a "digital" coil. A coil is a piece of wire, whether you wrap it one way, or another.

Offline Eydugstr

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 02:11:11 pm »
Best bang for the buck would be Hondman's ignition box.  JMHO. 

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 02:15:03 pm »
You say you want to run a "fully electronic" ignition.  All of these options listed, with the exception of the Boyer, still use the stock mechanical advance. 

Offline TheBigCB

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 04:45:52 pm »
thank you for all the replies and the setup I wanted to run was k and n mini individual filters and a kerker header and the bike has an 836 kit in it as well I bought it that way from the original owner and once again thanks for the replies and the advice

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 04:48:31 pm »
Had I of known about Hondaman unit before I bought the Dyna I would have bought it.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 04:50:14 pm »
thank you for all the replies and the setup I wanted to run was k and n mini individual filters and a kerker header and the bike has an 836 kit in it as well I bought it that way from the original owner and once again thanks for the replies and the advice
I would think twice about running Pods, do a search. They have some serious drawbacks.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 05:14:51 pm »
I think the only drawback to hondamans kit is the points remain!  If I went electronic it would be because it is maintenance free.

Offline TheBigCB

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 05:17:06 pm »
Alright it sounds like I should use the hondaman ignition the stock airbox with a very free flowing element like a k and n

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 05:44:39 pm »
use a boyer micro power.

Well, I'd be a bit sceptical of any marketing person that came up with using that "digital" coil BS. There is no such thing as a "digital" coil. A coil is a piece of wire, whether you wrap it one way, or another.

chill out,the "digital" coil suits the digital control box and is not suitable for use on their earlier analouge control boxes,so that dickheads dont use the wrong ones on either system.

Offline TheBigCB

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 07:43:26 pm »
bjbuchanan so basically if i bump the main jet up two sizes, bump the pilot jet up one size and lower the clip on the needle one position does that sound right and what are the stock pilot and main jet sizes and what would the sizes be after i change them and would this be the right setup with an 836 kit a kerker header and pod filters or a stock airbox with a k and n filter and use the Honda man ignition but how much does the hondaman ignition cost compared to the dyna ignition

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 06:31:53 am »
I think the only drawback to hondamans kit is the points remain!  If I went electronic it would be because it is maintenance free.

That's actually a toss up for me. I chose the dyna S for my 550 mainly because I didn't want to mess with points anymore and so far no problems however having a "plan B" that the hondaman kit provides is very appealing as well.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 07:28:39 am »
bjbuchanan so basically if i bump the main jet up two sizes, bump the pilot jet up one size and lower the clip on the needle one position does that sound right and what are the stock pilot and main jet sizes and what would the sizes be after i change them and would this be the right setup with an 836 kit a kerker header and pod filters or a stock airbox with a k and n filter and use the Honda man ignition but how much does the hondaman ignition cost compared to the dyna ignition

Not trying to be a dick, but if you'd slip in a period or a comma every now and then, it would be much easier to figure out what you're trying to say.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 09:10:37 am »
It would get you a lot closer to where you need to be. The 836 kit changes it a bit i don't have any experience with them but you just added 100cc to the engine. Yoi will need to do plug chops to tube it. Search thru the racing section too for more info
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet

Offline TheBigCB

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 09:15:31 am »
Ok thanks for all the info and again thanks for all the replies and opinions. Ill keep researching especially on this forum.

Offline 74750k4

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 10:36:38 am »
use a boyer micro power.

chill out,the "digital" coil suits the digital control box and is not suitable for use on their earlier analouge control boxes,so that dickheads dont use the wrong ones on either system.

ahhh yes...  a digitally wound coil of wire, for a digital control box... yes, very different than an analog wound coil, for an analog box.  Now I'm beginning to see the iight. You are correct sir, I need to chill. Obviously I just don't understand s**t about all this new digital stuff whatsoever. Thanks for enlightening me. i would certainly never make it as a marketeer.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 12:17:44 pm »
they have a vastly different primary resistance and rise time,its only to differenciate between the two,the micro power coils are only pulsed on for a very short time.

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 12:51:49 pm »
74750k4, 

By your logic anyone who buys a cb750 coil must be a dumb@ss because a coil is a coil right? Sure take one from a 4 cylinder efi chevy, you must be the only one in the loop.

Its just product differentiation