Author Topic: Precise holes in square material  (Read 2732 times)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
Precise holes in square material
« on: February 17, 2013, 04:44:49 am »
When I need precise hole in anything rotational, the lathe is the best approach, I can even hold some squarish things in the lathe and cut a hole that is more accurate than drill press.

But when the lathe does not work, the drill press will not help.  Say I need a 20.8 hole in  6mm thick metal, how would you approach it?

I don't have a milling machine and substitute drill press for one does not work - it is not stiff enough for that kind of work.

Ideas?

Offline Cqyqte

• Hot Shot
Re: Precise holes in square material
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:49:51 am »
Four (4) jaw chuck and lathe is the only way I know of my friend.

Offline Steve_K

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:10:20 am »
20.8 mm? that's about 3/4 of an inch.  Most small drill presses don't have a chuck that large.  I use a Bridgeport mill at work and I would drill it undersize and then ream or bore it to size.  If you have a lathe and a face plate and the part is not too long to turn in the lathe you can bolt it to the face plate and then drill and bore it.  A precise hole should also mean being perpendicular to the surface.  Also if you want them exact distance apart a mill would be best or easier.
That doesn't help does it?  How about a hole saw?  The hole may not be exact, but maybe by making the mating part to fit hole might work.  Another way, use a larger hole saw and then make a bushing on your lathe to press in the square material.
I could think of other ways if I know what tooling you have.
Steve
Steve_K

76 CB 550, 73CB750, 86 GSX-R750, 16 Slingshot
Old rides:305 Honda, CL350, 74 CB550
 05 SV1000S, 88 CBR600,92 VFR, 88 Hawk GT, 96 Ducati 900SS, 98 Kaw ZX6R, SV650

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:24:53 am »
I've done a few by pressing a square shape into a round hole and also by using all sorts of files, but if you're looking for a machine shop finish you can look for a shop with a wire edm. (The finished corner will still have a filleted radius the size of the wire though).
Baja native.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:36:16 am »
Try a circle cutter if its a round hole . On your lathe, try to mount an angle plate or tombstone on the crosslide, there is kits for extended table.. 1080 has one on his Atlas.

Boring head is a must have..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:43:20 am »
I have a 1" thick plate bolted to my faceplate, with different bolt patterns drilled and tapped. This is what I used to make spacer/centering rings to mount Yamaha discs to my front hub.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 08:53:35 am »
 You have to think outa thebox, I use a small 4 jaw in my 3 jaw a lot, in this case turning fuel ine spigots onto a custom fitting.. The spigots are 8 mm.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:56:08 am by 754 »
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Steve_K

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 10:50:36 am »
The above posts have good ideas.  Like 754 says think outside the box.  There always more than one way to do something in a machine shop.  I have been down that road many times.  Most machinists are always looking for different ways to do things. 
Lindsay Publicans had a website with old time machinist books.  I believe he has retired, but there is likely other sites.  He had some great books.
Steve
Steve_K

76 CB 550, 73CB750, 86 GSX-R750, 16 Slingshot
Old rides:305 Honda, CL350, 74 CB550
 05 SV1000S, 88 CBR600,92 VFR, 88 Hawk GT, 96 Ducati 900SS, 98 Kaw ZX6R, SV650

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 02:07:29 pm »
 Might be easier to post a drawing and for us to make it.. Take less time than talking about it..lol..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline XLerate

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 04:46:47 pm »
When I need precise hole in anything rotational, the lathe is the best approach, I can even hold some squarish things in the lathe and cut a hole that is more accurate than drill press.

But when the lathe does not work, the drill press will not help.  Say I need a 20.8 hole in  6mm thick metal, how would you approach it?

I don't have a milling machine and substitute drill press for one does not work - it is not stiff enough for that kind of work.

Ideas?

I'm no machinist, not even close, just a lifelong mechanic and fabricator. The following isn't meant as attack or insult, just as information gathering, so please don't be offended if it sounds mean or something.

What do you mean by precise? Is that +/- .01", or .001", or .0001" or .00001"?

Why won't the lathe work, as in what's the particular limiting factor? Overall size or shape of piece to be drilled?

What do you mean by 'metal'? Aluminum, Titanium, Berrylium, Iron, Cobalt, Tungsten, Steel, Magnesium? Makes a big difference in how to answer.

Is it a one-off piece? What sort of function is it supposed to serve or what is the piece or part's purpose or use? What is its value? If it's worth $78,000 you might want to use different methods than if it's worth $0.78.

Can you not pilot drill and ream to size? If not, why not?

Does this situation occur often enough and with enough importance that an investment in tooling is valid? With more precise information provided others, probably not me, can give more accurate advice.

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 05:09:52 pm »
Remove tool post and  compound slide and bolt 'whatever' on cross slide
Hold bit in lathe chuck
It's possible (but not recommended) to either use spacers and/or offset jaws by installing them 'wrong' - out of sequence (in a 3 jaw self centering chuck)
You can also offset tooling by using 1 or 2 reverse jaws, spacers and sequencing.
 I opened up the crankcase mouth on CJ250 to take GS1000 liners using these methods (14mm overbore  8))
If you have a 4 jaw chuck, offsetting is real easy
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 06:39:21 pm »
I like this riddle.

My lathe is a 3 chuck and when I have an odd shape to fit in.....I just make a collet to fit into the center. Typically I just center the item in a cylinder and pour plastic around it. When the plastic cures I remove the item and then band saw in a couple little flex/compression points (not all the way through) so the 3 jaw can really compress both the collet and the item inside the collet.....granted this is typically safe at low speeds and I am usually only either drilling or tapping a plastic.

Have you checked McMaster Carr?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-square-washers/=liwkyi

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 09:10:48 pm »
Might be easier to post a drawing
1+ It's hard to think outside the box without knowing the size of the box. Just what are you trying to do?
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Doggie

• Hot Shot
  • CB550F, CB650c, CB550k, Cb750K
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 09:37:38 pm »
Like someone said, it might be better to just send a Machinist the part to do. I am a Prototype Machinist by trade and would make it for you. Just send me a drawing or sketch of what you want.
                                     Doug

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 09:48:04 pm »
I believe the OP does have machining skills, and this is more of a language issue since English is not his native language, although he often has a better handle on English than some native born Americans.. :-[

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 03:37:04 am »
Gentlemen, thank you for your time. 

I came up independently with Scottly solution, I took off the 3 jaw and found that I can get a piece of steel mounted on the lathe and use that as a face plate for whatever shape I have to fasten - drill and tap holes as needed. 

754 idea of 4 jaw in 3 jaw is quite original, I applaude.

As far as machining, I have more theoretical  education than skill - but I am learning :)

What I am trying to do is a lever to weld on the rear brake pedal to actuate the rear master cylinder - see the picture. 

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 06:24:00 pm »

What I am trying to do is a lever to weld on the rear brake pedal to actuate the rear master cylinder - see the picture.
Before you do any welding, please post a picture of the fabricated lever, showing where you are going to weld it to the brake pedal. It appears to me you would only want a half circle cut into the lever, not a full circle. You can only weld on one side of the split in the pedal, or you will not be able to tighten the pedal to the pivot shaft.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 09:20:59 pm »
I had a hard to hold piece today, the outside width is about .24 and approx 1.85 dia the inside where I had to remove material had a counterbore, 1.75 od and 1.375 id , but only .095 thick.. That lip is what i had to turn down .So I held it on the 95 thou thick part, and then turned that counterbore (and holding material), down tob55 thou.

Looked like this.....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:22:34 pm by 754 »
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 09:40:22 pm »
OK, I give up. What is it? :)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 09:47:20 pm »
Its for a downhill bicycle ..goes between sprockets and frame, keeps chain from jamming if it comes off.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 03:17:45 am »

Before you do any welding, please post a picture of the fabricated lever, showing where you are going to weld it to the brake pedal. It appears to me you would only want a half circle cut into the lever, not a full circle. You can only weld on one side of the split in the pedal, or you will not be able to tighten the pedal to the pivot shaft.

Exactly!  I measured how much difference the bolt makes and it is quite a lot - I don't want a wobbly brake pedal even if it would be only from side to side.

To clarify what I mean by precise, 0.1mm is typical, with a bit of dedication I can get to 0.05mm but that's about it for the old Logan of mine.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:20:08 am by 70CB750 »