Author Topic: New guy here with a question about a 70 CB750  (Read 7216 times)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: New guy here with a question about a 70 CB750
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 02:32:31 pm »
If you feel bad,sell it on here for 700..

I would be first in line if I had. The loot..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 03:38:12 pm »
I honestly can't believe the guy was riding it the way it is. I will post up pics tonight.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 04:15:38 pm »
UPDATE

Pulled the trigger and went at lunchtime and bought the bike. I'm still thinking I paid too much at $500 but time will tell

congrats and there is no way you paid too much .   Even if the project completely stalls you can easily recoup your investment...Larry

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 05:37:18 pm »
UPDATE Pulled the trigger and went at lunchtime and bought the bike. I'm still thinking I paid too much at $500 but time will tell

congrats and there is no way you paid too much .   Even if the project completely stalls you can easily recoup your investment...Larry

You could actually double your investment but get it running and it will be worth $2-3K easily.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline toytuff

• "watching the pinheads"
  • Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 05:43:18 pm »
UPDATE Pulled the trigger and went at lunchtime and bought the bike. I'm still thinking I paid too much at $500 but time will tell

You could actually double your investment but get it running and it will be worth $2-3K easily.

You Texans even dream big!  ;D

tt

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 07:46:18 pm »

Hold that thought I'm uploading the pictures now. You may want to retract that post, lol

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 08:00:39 pm »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 08:25:30 pm »
That's a beauty. I say cafe it! :)
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 08:37:53 pm »
Oooh, changed my mind, don't buy it!    Just kidding, as long as the motor is not stuck and you have a title, it's  $500. 

A few observations:
Has a later model front forks
Has 16" HD rim (common mod back then)
Aftermarket foot pegs
Wiring looks like an electricians nightmare!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 09:19:50 pm »
That's a beauty. I say cafe it! :)

I HATE cafe ing CB's. I really prefer stock look. When Joker machine did that CNC crap to that CB750 on that Cafe Racer show I wanted to cry.

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 09:24:22 pm »
Oooh, changed my mind, don't buy it!    Just kidding, as long as the motor is not stuck and you have a title, it's  $500. 

A few observations:
Has a later model front forks
Has 16" HD rim (common mod back then)
Aftermarket foot pegs
Wiring looks like an electricians nightmare!

Can you tell what forks are on it?
Which rim is off the HD the rear or front? If it's period correct is it cool to leave it be? 
If you are talking about those rear pegs they're going in the trash can
Wiring does suck but the bike came with parts and in the box is a new repro wiring harness so I can sort that out easily I'm sure. I'm actually an electrical guy and Honda's electrical manuals are a dream compared to GM or Ford to work with. Hopefully it passes onto the motorcycle side too.

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 09:41:25 pm »
Also the frame number is lower than the engine is that normal for these bikes?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 09:57:36 pm »
The early CB's had "gators" on the front forks covering the tubes, changed in'75.
The rear rim appears to be the 16" HD, it was done to lower the back for the chopper effect. Some guys like it, especially if they're short. OEM was 18".
New wiring harness is a great idea. Yes, frame and engine numbers should not match, they were manufactured in separate factories and mated later.
Here's a link to the wiring diagram...

http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/WiringDiagrams/MCwiring.php#class

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 10:55:38 pm »
Forks look right but they are chromed..motor number is usually higher than frame..wrong carbs..

Show us the underneath of gas tank..might be a 800..bux bike
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2013, 11:09:44 pm »
The early CB's had "gators" on the front forks covering the tubes, changed in'75.
The rear rim appears to be the 16" HD, it was done to lower the back for the chopper effect. Some guys like it, especially if they're short. OEM was 18".
New wiring harness is a great idea. Yes, frame and engine numbers should not match, they were manufactured in separate factories and mated later.
Here's a link to the wiring diagram...

http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/WiringDiagrams/MCwiring.php#class

First things first. I threw my battery tender on the battery. Previous owner thought that may have been an issue with it too.  Effing battery has no nuts or anything to install the cables to the battery. Found a nut off a bad battery I had then got annoyed and just said screw it and settled on just charging the damn thing tonight. This poor bike has been through a rough life for sure. It's got what looks like a round solenoid with 2 posts on top. One post goes to the battery. The other post is missing it's wire. Found a thicker red wire that is missing the end (for lack of a better description) it's just bare wire strands and I'm thinking it may go to that solenoid. It's red with a stripe actually. Has weird insulation the other wires don't have. I'll check the wiring diagram but if you have any clues or a picture that would be helpful.
I think my goal for now is to get the engine to run and fix whatever is causing it NOT to run before going any further. At that point depending what it is I'll go from there what I want to do with it.
The frame number is is CB750-100XXX   

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 11:10:58 pm »
Forks look right but they are chromed..motor number is usually higher than frame..wrong carbs..

Show us the underneath of gas tank..might be a 800..bux bike

How are the carbs wrong? Are they off a newer CB?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 11:21:34 pm »
Carbs, shocks, aircleaner  oilbucket are off 71. Or later, maybe swingarm too..check for case damage ahead of front sprocket.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 11:31:04 pm »
Carbs, shocks, aircleaner  oilbucket are off 71. Or later, maybe swingarm too..check for case damage ahead of front sprocket.

Yes there is tig welding in front of the front spocket. I figured it must have thrown a chain once in it's life and someone welded the case back up. How did you know?

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2013, 02:59:58 am »
And you were sweating this one out?  Even for 600 it was a no brainer. ;D

Congrats!

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2013, 06:07:16 am »
Here is that KO wiring pic for you. Solid red goes to the fuse box. Red with white stripe goes to the male / female connection you see over the top of the solenoid into the harness. Click to enlarge it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:08:55 am by Johnie »
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2013, 06:28:08 am »
It was fairly common for these bikes to throw a chain and break the case. If repaired correctly, no leaks, should not be an issue.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2013, 06:46:46 am »
Can you post up a pic of the speedo and tach ? Does the ignition key have a plastic fitting attached to it ?  I see a little peek at the ignition but can't tell if its a recessed unit. Those two items make it worth more. Is there a plastic chainguard in your parts box ?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:49:07 am by ekpent »

Offline lwahples

• Enthusiast
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2013, 08:14:29 am »
Congrats on a good buy! Really like the seat!

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2013, 09:10:32 am »
Congrats and welcome to the club...............I've been known to pay more.  Your entry cost is envious.  Yes, we are waiting to see the tank and clocks.

A nice 4-1 exhaust looks good until you want to spend the big bucks on no-number pipes. Please don't attempt to ride the bike before you fix the front brake. Also note the bent rear rim.  Yes, you K0 has a few parts from later models, but the frame, motor (running) title and the parts you have are worth a lot more than you think.

The primary reason the K0-K1 bikes are regarded as 'faster' is the combination of internal and final drive gearing along with a slightly more aggressive cam and timing.  A good trick to 'straighten' that bent fin is to lightly wedge a piece of hard wood or hard rubber between the fins and then run the motor until very hot (10+miles). Then gently push the wooden wedge further in but do not over-do it.  Then ride a few more miles and try to get it close but never go more than the original. I would leave it very slightly upward to prevent it from braking off. Leave the wedge in place until the motor is cold.

You'll be a hero on this board when your finished saving the bike.  It does not have to 100% stock to be a 'hero' project.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2013, 06:21:29 pm »
Thanks for all the replies and the picture of the wiring. Really helpful so far.

I talked to the previous owner again today. He said he got the pistons in it from CB750 supply.com and the cylinders off ebay. He said everything is STD bore. He said the original ignition was broken and didn't work so he tossed it ;( and replaced it with the one on the bike now (guess I'm gonna have to find one)
Overall I think it's missing quite a bit.

As far as the front forks were they originally aluminum or? Caliper is chrome too I'm assuming not correct?
I have to take pictures of the parts. I have a chrome rear fender with a bigger tail light/harness, etc.. that looks original to me but it's been repainted pink w/flames..WTF
Maybe I can strip the paint.... It has a cool CalTrans parking sticker from the 80's.
Also have a Chrome oil tank but the previous owner says it won't fit. What is the original tank like?

Thanks again!