Author Topic: Will my Stock Oil Pump do the job?  (Read 909 times)

Offline Gregorymoto

• SOHC Aficionado
  • Hot Shot
Will my Stock Oil Pump do the job?
« on: March 23, 2013, 08:13:53 am »
Hello all. I would love your opinion on this.

I just picked up a under seat oil reservoir.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181101362490?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So hear is what I'm thinking.
The motor I'm running right now is more or less a stock Cb750 sohc with exception of the valvs and valve springs/retainers, clutch bla bla bla. The motor is balanced from the crank up by.

Right now I have an oil cooler set up on the standard 197? oil cooler adaptor. I want to dump that adaptor and run the cooler inline. I also want to install a spin on oil filter adaptor for that extra protection.
Also the oil cooler comes in handy when summer is hear and I'm racing in the north valley when it's 90 to 100 deg.  But the rest of the year street riding in SF, I dont need it. Now I have a leather cover that goes over cooler now for when it's cold. What I want to do is put in a by-pass valve in.
Will my stock oil pump do the job with all this
My intuition tells me that this is do-able. I was hoping the that Cycle X would have their high volume oil pump ready for sale but their designer/Eng quit and they are now not going to make them. So I was thinking I would do a PSI test before and after the installation. But man that looks like a pin in the ass.
Any thought?
as always thank you for your time.
Yep, i have issues with this sort of stuff.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
Re: Will my Stock Oil Pump do the job?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:25:30 am »
The stock pump is very robust when the o-rings are in good shape.  I would expect it to do fine.  Have you thought about a pressure gauge?  I had one on the K6 I just sold, and it was nice to be able to just look down and see how the pressure was doing.

Offline Gregorymoto

• SOHC Aficionado
  • Hot Shot
Re: Will my Stock Oil Pump do the job?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 12:48:06 pm »
Thanks for your input. Yep I have one on there, but it does not show proper PSI in the line only in the crank. It good to have for sure. I just want to make 100% sure ya know. :) It's the only running motor I have out of my 4 to race this year. I don't want to destroy it.
Hay, your right close to me. Sort of. :)
Yep, i have issues with this sort of stuff.