Author Topic: Goldwings ???  (Read 84445 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Goldwings ???
« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2013, 12:10:17 am »
You loosened the tensioner right? They should slip right on. I used the Gates belts when I did my GL a couple years ago and had no issues with them.

+1 Danny, my new Gates belts slipped right on, it was a piece of cake! Good to know that my valve timing is spot on too, thanks for that info Chickenman! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2013, 05:31:06 am »
Never thought putting 2 t/belts on this Wing would give me such a fit. If it's a piece cake Terry ;) than my cake must have some cement in the cake mix because this sucker is hard to chew and swallow for me ::) Must be doing something thats not right and making a mountain out of a mole hill ;D I wish I had took some up close before pics of markings just to have something to refer back to. Basically right pulley lines up fine and belt goes on with no problem. Left pulley is different story, when marks are dead on belt teeth and sprocket grooves don't line up to let belt slip on sprocket. Only when pulley marks are a little above or below cover markings will belt line up with pulley grooves and slip on. Even trying old belt is the same way as new one. I rotate engine by hand and its smooth and feel no interference in either above or below mark settings. The radiator is still off but should I try to crank it and see if it will start :-\ I've read horror stories on GW sites and also what Stu said in a few post back of owners cranking up their Wings when things weren't quite right and marks were off enough to bend valves and destroy engines.

I've done all the work on both CB's and never had a problem with anything. But I guess this GW is a different animal. Im not going to throw in the towel, I will get it right!!!!!!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:43:24 am by dhall57 »
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2013, 05:43:04 am »
Can you post a couple photos of what you are dealing with here?
Is the tensioner moving appropriately?
How do the marks on your second belt line up with the right belt?

I would not want to risk it either.

Are the plugs out and tappets backed off? Curious which method you are following...

Deep cleansing breaths and think calm thoughts, not worth stressing yourself out
yet ;D

David- back in the desert SW!

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2013, 05:46:19 am »
I wonder what MReich breathed on GW heads would do for the bike? (Other than provide fewer dollars in your wallet.)

Offline 78 k550

• Master
« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2013, 05:46:30 am »
did you try another set of aftermarket belts? Maybe they where packaged wrong.

Paul
Paul
Littleton, CO

76/77 CB 750F, 
75 GL1000, (AKA GL1-242 NGWClub),
76 GL1000 LTD
84 GL1200 Standard
6 Bultaco's= 42, 49, 121, 152, 167, 188

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2013, 06:05:04 am »
Will post some pics later when I get home from work.

No same belts. All markings on belts and boxes match up. Don't think its belts. I think its me doing something wrong.
1970 CB750KO
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:32 am »
I know when I did mine the 1-4 side was the one that gave me the most problems because the way the cam is oriented when you remove the belt pressure from the rockers will make the cam rotate slightly.

On my bike that pulley was not "dead on balls accurate" (to quote a favorite movie) in how the pully mark lined with the case mark. But the amount that it was off was less than a belt tooth, unlike that last picture in your series above.

If you know that the marks were correctly lined up when you started, you can loosen all 4 rocker adjusters to take the pressure off the cam, which will allow you to rotate the pully with your hand to get it in the right place.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:04:45 am by Bankerdanny »
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
  • '75 CB750K + '67 CL90 + '71 CT90
    • PseudoMoto
« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2013, 11:10:15 am »
^ +1  though mine is an 1100. Not dead-on, but REALLY CLOSE. Runs like a champ.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2013, 04:41:05 am »
Never thought putting 2 t/belts on this Wing would give me such a fit. If it's a piece cake Terry ;) than my cake must have some cement in the cake mix because this sucker is hard to chew and swallow for me ::) Must be doing something thats not right and making a mountain out of a mole hill ;D I wish I had took some up close before pics of markings just to have something to refer back to. Basically right pulley lines up fine and belt goes on with no problem. Left pulley is different story, when marks are dead on belt teeth and sprocket grooves don't line up to let belt slip on sprocket. Only when pulley marks are a little above or below cover markings will belt line up with pulley grooves and slip on. Even trying old belt is the same way as new one. I rotate engine by hand and its smooth and feel no interference in either above or below mark settings. The radiator is still off but should I try to crank it and see if it will start :-\ I've read horror stories on GW sites and also what Stu said in a few post back of owners cranking up their Wings when things weren't quite right and marks were off enough to bend valves and destroy engines.

I've done all the work on both CB's and never had a problem with anything. But I guess this GW is a different animal. Im not going to throw in the towel, I will get it right!!!!!!

Yeah mate, a PO had made his own timing marks on my engine and ignored the factory marks,  so I just used those marks, and as you've suggested, I fired it up with the radiator off, and it just purred into life. I wondered at the time if I might have accidentally put the timing out by a tooth, but it runs perfectly, and Chickenman has reassured me that I'm right, with his comment that if you're out a tooth either way, you'll be bending valves.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to replace the belt as close as possible to the mark, then (with the plugs out) wind it over by hand and make sure there's no "piston to valve" resistance, and if all's good, fire that bad boy up. Or alternatively, trailer it over to Chickenman's place and wait in line, behind all the other nervous Goldwing owners............ Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline chickenman_26

• Hot Shot
    • Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2013, 06:47:25 am »
Yeah mate, a PO had made his own timing marks on my engine and ignored the factory marks,  so I just used those marks, and as you've suggested, I fired it up with the radiator off, and it just purred into life. I wondered at the time if I might have accidentally put the timing out by a tooth, but it runs perfectly, and Chickenman has reassured me that I'm right, with his comment that if you're out a tooth either way, you'll be bending valves.
Actually Terry, I said it would bend valves if it's out more than one tooth either way. One tooth out will just foul up the compression and cause an unstable idle. So if a person checked compression and found the numbers considerably lower on one bank than the other, that would be a clue...

I don't know what's up with your PO's custom cam timing marks. The cam wheels often have dots or lines near the timing marks that some mistake for the actual timing mark. The correct mark on the wheels is an arrow. If the cam timing appears to be 1/2 tooth off on either side, it's likely due to incorrect belt tension adjustment. Regarding the "nervous Wingers", the ones who managed to ride their bike over actually weren't concerned about the belts. They showed up for carb adjustment to correct a bad idle after a belt install.

Stu

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:07:22 am by chickenman_26 »
MCN DTF

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2013, 07:27:51 am »
Given dhall lives about 2000-2500 miles from chickenman I don't think he will be driving over in his pickup with the wing in the back.

Looking forward to the photos of both sides so it can get sorted out.

Offline chickenman_26

• Hot Shot
    • Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2013, 07:40:23 am »
Parallax error may be part of the issue here. That is, both the crank and cam timing marks seem to change relationship as you move your head. For the crank marks, they need to be viewed looking straight down past the upper frame rail - you should barely be able to see the timing hole in the case. And be certain you're aligning the TDC mark (not the F mark) with the case notches. For the cams, the marks must be viewed straight on, with your eye at the same level as the marks. If you alter your head position slightly above or below that level, the relationship of the marks will appear to change.

Stu
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:43:00 am by chickenman_26 »
MCN DTF

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2013, 01:24:39 am »
Actually Terry, I said it would bend valves if it's out more than one tooth either way. One tooth out will just foul up the compression and cause an unstable idle. So if a person checked compression and found the numbers considerably lower on one bank than the other, that would be a clue...

I don't know what's up with your PO's custom cam timing marks. The cam wheels often have dots or lines near the timing marks that some mistake for the actual timing mark. The correct mark on the wheels is an arrow. If the cam timing appears to be 1/2 tooth off on either side, it's likely due to incorrect belt tension adjustment. Regarding the "nervous Wingers", the ones who managed to ride their bike over actually weren't concerned about the belts. They showed up for carb adjustment to correct a bad idle after a belt install.

Stu

No worries Stu, thanks. for that, I guess mine must be spot on, because it just purrs, it truly is a a thing of joy! Cheers, Terry. ;D 

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2013, 03:18:45 am »
Yeah it would be a nice little road trip for me. But I'm on vacation all next week so I could do it Stu ;) Lets see I'm looking at a 32 to 33 hr drive or so if I leave Climax, NC here in another hour or so(7:00am) and drive non-stop(except for gas and bathroom stops and a little food)I should be knocking on your door sometime later Monday afternoon ;D Your 3 hours behind me here in NC so 1:00 or so Monday afternoon your time.

The best part though is, I'll be only about 6hrs away from LA from Stu's place and maybe I could tract down Marcia Brady!!!!!  8) 8)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:52:43 am by dhall57 »
1970 CB750KO
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2013, 03:27:11 am »
 :) :) Just put a new factory thermostat and seal in and getting ready to put radiator back on. Than I can crank her up and get it to operating temp and see how she'll run and and tinker with the marks some more if I need to.
1970 CB750KO
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2013, 06:40:27 am »
Did you get the belts on?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2013, 05:54:57 pm »
You can run it for a few minutes with the radiator off Dwight, just to make sure you got your timing right. That'll save you farting about draining coolant and removing the radiator again if you muffed your cam timing.

After re-reading Stu's post, I'm wondering if Danny's timing is out slightly, as he's been saying here and on the Naked Wing site that his idle is pretty rough at the moment? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2013, 08:55:04 pm »
I have wondered about that too Terry. But I have checked and rechecked. I think the timing is fine. I still think I have a carb issue.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2013, 10:07:12 pm »
No worries Danny, the CV carbs of the era were pretty sensitive. I had all sorts of drama's with the CV's on my 1980 CX500 to the point that I binned them and replaced them with new Mikuni's, which have been superb.

My GL1200 carbs could probably do with a rebuild after 97000 miles and no maintenance, (sadly my "new" 27000 mile engine didn't come with carbs) but while it's running so well, I'm just gonna ride the wheels off it! Cheers, Terry. ;D 

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
« Reply #194 on: May 19, 2013, 05:50:28 pm »
Here's my current marks. Bike cranks up and idles pretty good. Bikes seems to do better with left pulley mark just a tad below mark than above mark. This is where I'll leave it for right now. My problem was trying to force the belt on the left pulley while it was dead on the mark. Thought if the right side lines up than the left has to also. Just not going to happen on the left side. The best I remember bike seems to run like it did when I brought it home several weeks ago. So I'm happy :) Carbs definitely need to come off bike and gone through and cleaned. I knew that when I bought it and I know that will make a big difference, just like it did with my 750's. Radiator is back on with fresh coolant and new hoses(OEM no longer available) so got what was suppose to work with some slight mods. Hope they last for a while, don't want to go that again. And also new thermostat and rad.cap and best of all no leaks ;D
Also took coolant tank off to clean it out and found the PO had done a little patch work on the back side. Doesn't appear to be leaking so I guess I'll put it back on and continue to use it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:34:10 pm by dhall57 »
1970 CB750KO
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #195 on: May 19, 2013, 06:46:51 pm »
He may have been a roofer since it looks like he used roofing cement on that beautiful repair!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #196 on: May 19, 2013, 10:10:08 pm »
Could be black rtv, if it is flexible...
The cv carbs are particular and really need a thorough ultrasonic cleaning. Chasing the holes in the jets with properly sized numbered drills doesn't hurt and definitely polishing the exterior of thebrass bits is in order.
 Carb problems are a pain...

Glad you have her running better and you can rest easy knowing you don't need to worry about the belts and hoses.

A step closer to having her sorted to enjoy riding.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #197 on: May 19, 2013, 10:14:25 pm »
Castrol Super Clean can strip the clear coat on the carb domes if you want to polish them. They clean up and polish up nice, but on the wing they aren't very visible. The bowls take more work cleaning seams and sanding to 600 to polish up nice if you want to go down the slippery slope of polishing.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #198 on: May 20, 2013, 02:47:37 am »
Good work Dwight, well done, and on to the next! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #199 on: May 20, 2013, 10:08:15 am »
Thats how my 1-4 side pulley looked when I was done too.