Author Topic: Steering Bearing Question  (Read 1873 times)

Offline TRPLE

Steering Bearing Question
« on: May 16, 2005, 06:56:42 am »
I have a question regarding tapered steering bearings. They are being installed on a '72 CB450, but I know that this is a very similar process on all bikes of this vintage. I installed them on my GT550 and the job was easy. My roommate is installing them on the 450 and its giving him problems. The issue is that as you tighten the nut that holds the upper bearing in place (The one that you have to tighten with a hammer and screwdriver), the steering effort increases. Even at finger tight it requires noticeably more effort to turn the triples. Not that it hangs up or anything, but on my GT there was almost no effort.

Two questions then:
1. Should steering effort increase at finger-tight on that retaining nut (the one with the big collar)?
2. How tight should that nut be installed? Finger-tight plus a tap, or full-on hammer-it-like-a-nail tight?

- Matt
'76 Honda CB400F
'72 Yamaha CS5
'09 Guzzi Griso 8v

Offline CB500_k2

• Hot Shot
  • Wrenching makes a good retirement.
Re: Steering Bearing Question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 08:11:59 am »
I would recommend that you first check to be sure that there is no interference between the steering hub and the lower triple.  I am not familair with your bike but for the CB500s it is necessary to put a spacer in before the lower bearing to get enough clearance.  This if from painful personal experience and I am now waiting for a replacement bearing set to correct a similar problem on my project.  There is some good information in the archives which describes how to set the proper preload on tapered bearings.

Good luck.
Too many bikes -- too little time
1973 CB500
1974 CB350 - sold
1975 CB400F SuperSport
2000 Ducati Monster Dark

Offline TRPLE

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 11:47:25 am »
I'll take a look at the other resources. There was a spacer included with the kit, and that was installed in the proper location.
'76 Honda CB400F
'72 Yamaha CS5
'09 Guzzi Griso 8v

jesse

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 04:32:06 pm »
i have put in several sets of the tapered bearings,mostly in 750 and 550 models.i did however put a set in a cl77 which is similiar to your cb450.i believe the spacer had to be cut to a smaller diameter to avoid rubbing on the rubber seal that is on the steering shaft.this may be why you have a sudden increase in steering effort.when all is right i tighten the bearings untill the steering gets to tight for comfort then back the bearing nut off half a turn.then tigten the jam nut and check for binds in steering.it is hard to overtighten the tapered bearings as they are very forgiving.probably better to err on the side of too tight rather than too loose.