Author Topic: New guy here with a question about a 70 CB750  (Read 7215 times)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: New guy here with a question about a 70 CB750
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »
OEM forks and caliper were aluminum, not polished or chromed.
By ignition, do you mean the points plate?
The K0 had a small taillight, much bigger K2 on.
The OEM oil tank was steel and painted black, it's n your 4th pic above.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2013, 07:05:48 pm »
OEM forks and caliper were aluminum, not polished or chromed.
By ignition, do you mean the points plate?
The K0 had a small taillight, much bigger K2 on.
The OEM oil tank was steel and painted black, it's n your 4th pic above.

I thought someone said the oil tank was off a newer model.

By ignition I meant where you turn the key

I have the smaller tail light on it now in the pictures. The bigger one is on the second rear fender I have.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2013, 07:37:38 pm »
The oil tank you have is off a later model but look similar.
Oh, the ignition switch.  Do you have one?
It would mount under the tank on the left.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2013, 07:51:18 pm »
The oil tank you have is off a later model but look similar.
Oh, the ignition switch.  Do you have one?
It would mount under the tank on the left.

Yes that's where it is now. Guy told me that it was replaced but it has what looks like an OEM Honda key. Not sure on that one.

Just went out and hooked up the starter cable to that solenoid and then sprayed a little brake cleaner into the carbs to prime them and hooked up the battery and tried to start her. Found out that the off/run switch doesn't work it's always on. The starter wouldn't shut off unless I turned off the ignition. It turned over then made a bad noise like the bendix in the starter was bad. turn, turn, turn, wingggggg! Then if I wait and try again it cranks then winggggg!
Finally after a few more sprays and cranking she roared to life and scared the piss out of me since it has no pipes on it.... then it died because I have no fuel tank hooked up.
I really don't know why I punish myself with these type of projects....;)
Like I don't get enough of this crap at my job working on Honda cars.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2013, 05:01:44 am »
It really is a testimonial to what Mr. Honda produced...that we can take a 42 year old bike that had minimal maintenance over the years...not run in many years...looks like it should never start...and with minimal work she fires up. I mean Honda has or had something special going on back then. Many of those engineers are probably gone now yet we get to enjoy the fruits of their expertise. Vintage Honda's Rock!!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 05:04:56 am by Johnie »
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2013, 10:22:41 am »
It really is a testimonial to what Mr. Honda produced...that we can take a 42 year old bike that had minimal maintenance over the years...not run in many years...looks like it should never start...and with minimal work she fires up. I mean Honda has or had something special going on back then. Many of those engineers are probably gone now yet we get to enjoy the fruits of their expertise. Vintage Honda's Rock!!!

Yes I agree. It's too bad he's gone and they have relaxed and let Americans take over American Honda. The stuff produced now couldn't hold a candle to the early stuff IMO.

Offline gravygrabber

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2013, 09:13:46 pm »
I'm going to start a new thread in the project section for this bike and get started fixing it. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Offline stickman

• Enthusiast
  • A vintage 750 is a terrible thing to waste....
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2013, 06:24:15 am »
Good find there GravyGrabber and welcome to the forum.

I did notice the frame has been cut and rewelded above the engine.  Easy to clean up when the time is right.  Lots of parts from lots of years are interchangeable on your model.  So the decision you need to make early is am I going for an original resto or for an everyday rider that I can enjoy.  My suggestion is to get it running, make it safe, and ride her and in no time you will either get your answer on which way to go or decide you want to go a different direction.  There's loads of good used parts out there i.e. eBay, and many repo parts now some of which are very reasonable.  IMHO you could not have found a better bike to spend your evenings and weekends with.  Enjoy the journey.   Stickman
Ed Jones, Lenoir, NC
1971 CB750, 1994 Kaw police bike KZ1000