Author Topic: The story of Zinc, and why SOHC4 engines need it in oil.  (Read 35859 times)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: The story of Zinc, and why SOHC4 engines need it in oil.
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2018, 09:57:11 am »
Mark,

Have you tried Kenny's gaskets from CycleX? Coated metal. I just picked up a bunch as I needed a valve cover replacement.
Nope, haven't seen those in real life yet. If it's a head gasket, watch the thickness? Or, a base gasket, same thing...

Not sure about those Mark. These cover gaskets are unlike his MLS head and base coated gaskets. Thickness 1.2mm. Side Cover Gaskets: Alloy with Foamet coating is the same combination used to stop old Harleys from leaking.

Text pics coming.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2019, 10:00:40 am »
Guess I will be returning the 4t 10-40 synthetic Racing oil I bought. On the back side it says adapted for clutch and transmission. API SM ma2.

These are the ones I have looked at for replacement:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 02:30:12 pm by mathias2803 »

Offline Infest1382

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2019, 03:27:36 pm »
I run the cheap STP Zinc additive in all of my old machines. I wish more people did the same. Thereā€™d be a lot more on the road that way!
1972 CB750
1973 CB750
1977 CB750 Super Sport

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2019, 07:00:12 pm »
Guess I will be returning the 4t 10-40 synthetic Racing oil I bought. On the back side it says adapted for clutch and transmission. API SM ma2.

These are the ones I have looked at for replacement:

I don't know much about the bottom one, but it has the right 'base' (mineral) oil and weight for these Fours.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Tomshep

« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2019, 10:04:00 am »
Interesting debate. I run a 400 in the UK. Looks like I ought to use 15-40 Diesel oil during the Winter and a 20-50 in the Summer.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2019, 07:02:34 pm »
Interesting debate. I run a 400 in the UK. Looks like I ought to use 15-40 Diesel oil during the Winter and a 20-50 in the Summer.

I surely would! But then, the Baby Fours will feel the extra drag of the 20w[n] base oil more than the larger engines. For a long time there was a 15w50 oil available in a non-detergent diesel formula (here in the USA) from Shell (Rotella), which would likely be better for the small ones in hot weather. Viscosity numbers are all about the temperatures: when I was last in UK it was both hot and humid, and I remember thinking about my 750 then, and which oil I would have used (but I didn't have the bike with me, dang...). Back in the 1970s, Castrol made a 10w50 (which I used for my 750 in the wintertime) which I used to sell to the 3 CB350F owners out of my shop, and those bikes ran like (mechanical) Swiss watches!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2020, 03:28:17 pm »

Our member Ofreen has been using the Golden Spectro synthetic for a long time: he only has a small weep somewhere that comes and goes.

Just a small correction.  Golden Spectro is no doubt fine oil, but I have been using the Spectro Heavy Duty 20w50 all these years.

Some have said they have trouble finding Spectro 20W50 HD.  I just ordered some off Amazon for a decent price shipped --

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RL79DF/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A37XXUG3ZCSOX0&psc=1
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 03:30:38 pm by ofreen »
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon