Author Topic: Road racing question (very basic)  (Read 8036 times)

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
Road racing question (very basic)
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:14:26 am »
I have question for those who are doing it or have done it. I have extensive experience in dirt car racing when I was younger so I find myself, later in life missing that thrill you can only get from competition. I do know that that experience really gives me no background for motorcycle racing other than being prepared to open my wallet. My question is basic. I have multiple cb750's to scavenge and am slowly amassing some cb350 parts as well. Should I just build the 750 and ride conservatively or would I learn more riding the 350 and then moving up. The place I will be taking it is in Oklahoma and I don't believe it is sanctioned. They have a required one day course as well as regular safety gear requirement. Any further advise would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:18:04 am by roach carver »

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Road racing question (very basic)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:16:31 am »
Here's an old pic of my car from back in my glory days

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 10:08:47 am »
You've got an exact understanding of how it goes with that wallet comment. Before you make a decision on what to ride, try to pinpoint closer the class structures. There always seem to be a class for the CB350, and it wouldn't be much fun if your 750 was badly out gunned by more modern bikes. Try contacting BigBob, he's been racing a CB750 for a long while. Either way though it's about having fun. Any past racing experience will help you on your bike.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 10:57:36 am »
Hey Brent. Thanks for the info. As a side note I havent forgotten about your "friend". I keep thinking I will eventually cross paths with him.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:47:56 pm »
I should have let you know the guy manned up and I got my loot so deleted my bad mouth thread.  ;D

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:51:05 pm »
Good. Very glad to hear it.

Offline anders288

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 05:39:02 pm »
Your talking about vintage racing right?

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 06:36:50 pm »
Your talking about vintage racing right?
yes. not interested in modern bike racing. just want to get out and play

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 07:05:06 pm »
I am not an experienced road-racer.............but I would build the CB350 to be a legal runner with the BEST front brake and tires you can get...................When you feel confident that another 100 lbs. of won't bother you, then study the builds on this site to glean the finer points of getting the center of gravity low and the brakes right.....Its all about having fun :) :) :)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 07:47:55 pm »
I'm not a racer but if I was considering it, I would learn on my 550 and work my way up to the 750. 

Where in OK?   I've driven a race car on the circuit at Hallet, great track. 
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 09:43:54 pm »
I do road race and would suggest the 350. youll learn much more with a light and nimble bike that you can place on track where you want.
after four seasons on a CB500-4 i switched to a 750-810 kawi for the last two years and wasnt really happy. this year i am switching back to something lighter and smaller.

lighter on wallet too, or on your foot when it falls for that matter.....

Offline Greg H

• When two cams is one too many .
  • Hot Shot
  • Still crazy after all these years .
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 01:12:55 am »
Are there any track day/race schools near you ?, there are plenty over here in the  UK and are a relatively cheap safe way to get some track time . I reckon that a 350 fitted with decent tyres/suspension/brakes would be the way to go without breaking the bank . Whatever you choose to use enjoy  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 04:44:48 am »
TimV840 is a member here and has two CB350 race bikes. He's a rocket on those bikes and could for sure point you in the right direction on set-up. There are lots of cool 750's out there, just need the right class.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 05:01:28 am »
I'm not a racer but if I was considering it, I would learn on my 550 and work my way up to the 750. 

Where in OK?   I've driven a race car on the circuit at Hallet, great track. 

It is hallet. Thanks for all the info. I think I will start gathering up some more 350 parts.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 05:30:16 am »
I've been to Hallet a few times, my brother has raced SCCA cars there. It's a great, no frills track, was run by the Stevens family for years.  1.8 miles, 10 turns with elevation changes makes it a blast. I was able to jump in his car on a test day and run about 10 laps. 
I would love to get my 550 on that track!

http://www.hallettracing.net/trackmap.html
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 06:15:17 am »
Steve, I think they do a "run what you brung"type of deal where you remove or tape all glass and maybe a few other things. They require that you take their class and then they put you into groups. I suppose based on skill/speed. Leathers gloves boots and newer helmet are required.

Offline captain awesome

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 02:02:28 pm »
I'm still surprised that between OK, KS, AR, and TX there aren't any vintage races sanctioned by the bigger clubs.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 04:03:02 pm »
Steve, I think they do a "run what you brung"type of deal where you remove or tape all glass and maybe a few other things. They require that you take their class and then they put you into groups. I suppose based on skill/speed. Leathers gloves boots and newer helmet are required.

That sounds great.  How long will it take you to get your 350 together?

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 04:19:04 pm »
That sounds great.  How long will it take you to get your 350 together?
Hah! I have to decide what to do. I have a basket case with no title that seems like the logical choice. I also have an sl350 that looks like it would make a better bike. better tube frame, better front end but I hate to use an SL due to the "rarity" I guess. I am going to look at a stock cb350 on wednesday so we will see how that goes. If I could just get a stock one and strip it, do wheels, tires, brakes and maybe neck bearings then it probably would not take long. If I were to build the basket case, it would be complete motor build and frame up rebuild. I would like to start with a complete bike at this point. Still need to get some leathers gloves boots etc.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 11:49:13 am »

got my starter bike. Already has carbs.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 11:53:40 am »
Oh yeah, thanks Brent for the info on Tim. That guy had a lot of info to share.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 12:47:17 pm »
Wow what a beauty. Yea Tim knows his way around a motorcycle!

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 01:55:27 pm »
good luck then!

somewhere on the net there's an excellent CB350 racing preparation FAQ put together by some nice guys, will try to google it up.

I know sohc4 is the friendliest forum out there but most of the 350 guys use the wera vintage forum or vintagebikeracing.com

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 01:56:58 pm »

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 02:10:40 pm »
Thanks, looking (lurking) around there now.