Author Topic: Vintage racing, where to start?  (Read 11084 times)

Offline Chris Tyler

Re: Vintage racing, where to start?
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2011, 02:53:41 pm »
Hi

In England we have a new class called aircooled 500 its for street engined bikes 70s to 80s.
It was won by Suzuki 500 twins the first year. This year it was a Dave Kirby framed Honda 500 single.
Ft500.
Mind you the rider is lighter than the bike!
Not that me & my pillion mind, you understand!
Chris

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2013, 10:29:51 am »
Bumping this thread for Roach Carver..
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2013, 07:42:48 am »
Thanks Scottly! I just found it. I have a few rides to prep for and then I think I will put my energy into this venture.

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2013, 06:54:25 pm »
I had already gotten a slow start on the FT500 project, so your thread gave me a much needed kick in the ass. Henry's widow graciously gave me his hot-rodded XR500 motor. After seizing the stock motor, trying to out-run a pissed off truck driver on I-5, (by roosting him when merging onto the interstate from the dirt shoulder with the front wheel pointed in the air) he threw the White Bros catalog at it: high compression piston, cam, Super Trap exhaust, and bigger carb. Those changes REALLY woke the motor up!
I've gotten the FT motor started, and it runs OK, and is in good shape, but the last time the XR motor was run it was burning oil. I think I'll start with the cam and carb and see how it runs.
The swing arm needle bearings on the FT need to be replaced, and of course the brakes need attention. All things considered, I should be able to make the FT into a "budget racer", if there is such a thing. ::)
Also, 754 Frank has me thinking more about flat-track these days. ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....