Author Topic: Cafe handle bars  (Read 2642 times)

Rocking-M

Cafe handle bars
« on: July 20, 2006, 12:31:48 pm »
I don't think I want any seriously dropped bars but what do y'all think would be best?
Got any pictures?

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Offline cbjunkie

• Master
  • ...know what i'm sayin'?
Re: Cafe handle bars
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 12:34:51 pm »
for non-stock look without the lean-in of a strict cafe...

drag (flat) bars...

oops.
1971 750K1
1972 CB350 (deceased)

sometimes naked, sometimes mad -
now the poet, now the fool -
thus they appear on earth,
the free men.

Rocking-M

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 12:46:51 pm »
I'm thinking drag bars now :) thanks for the pics.

Offline angeldeville

• Hot Shot
  • You meet the nicest people on a Honda!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 02:31:34 pm »
I went to the local shop and got a set of clubman's, GP touring, and Drag bars, and tried them on the bike to see what i liked best, the bars were between $10-$20 each so it wan't an expensive endeavor,
now I have bars for the next project or two. i ended up using the clubmans on my F and GP touring on my 350, and the drag bars are still awaiting a home.
76' cb750f custom
69' cb750 sandcast
69' CT90
Amen Saviour 750 Chopper frame
and enough parts to build about 6-7 more bikes

Offline 78_SaltLick

• Hot Shot
  • Honda 1974 550
    • Custom Drum making
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 03:45:38 pm »
I went to the local shop and got a set of clubman's, GP touring, and Drag bars, and tried them on the bike to see what i liked best, the bars were between $10-$20 each so it wan't an expensive endeavor,
now I have bars for the next project or two. i ended up using the clubmans on my F and GP touring on my 350, and the drag bars are still awaiting a home.

man i really dig clipons, had a problem with clubmans just couldnt get the angle right and somehow my back hurt.
Gold sparkle is the place you outta be.

scout18

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 05:00:10 pm »
I just switched to clip ons on my78 750f . I had to put the original caps for spacers to raise them up and use a K style cap with the lights in it to hold them down. Now it is just about right, but I am thinking clip ons. anyone want to trade? . Who sells cliop ons for a resaonable price?

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 05:53:11 pm »
I had some "superbike" bars on my scoot , before I switched to a set of clip-on's I got off Ebay for a whopping $35..
I placed them ABOVE the top tree, to help aid with my bad back , as most people put them UNDER the top triple tree.
I thought they were gonna kill me , but after riding with this setup pretty much the whole summer, they are quite comfy...

Superbike bars (which are 4 sale by the way)  ;D ---->

Clip-On Bars ----------->

If you need better pics let me know.....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 05:57:24 pm by ProTeal55 »
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline pmpski_1

• Hot Shot
  • Beast V and Beast I
    • My CB550 related blog on MSN Spaces
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 11:14:12 pm »
I bought a set of clubmans, but never got around to putting them on. I bought another bike that had the flat drag bars, and ended up putting them on my 550 couple weeks ago.

I really like the drag bars. I'm usually doing short rides to and from work or around the neighborhood and my back never gets sore. However, if I don't pay attention to how I'm riding I end up putting all my weight on my my wrists or palms and my hands begin to hurt. Not a big deal on my short rides, but I wonder how it would be on a 100+ mile day.

Also, getting the wiring through the drag bars has to be a lot easier than the clubmans. One thing that surprised me is how compact the drag bars were. I didn't think all of the components were going to fit.
Beast   I: 1974 CB550K
Beast IV: 1976 Chevy Blazer
Beast  V: 2003 Buell XB9S

VitaminCB550

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 07:32:42 am »
ProTeal,

What's the deal with that cool headlight?

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 07:35:18 am »
ProTeal,
What's the deal with that cool headlight?
Ya like that huh ?  ;D
I picked it up from my old V-twin/Custom shop.
It is from a company called ADJURE, and runs a H4 bulb.
Kinda gave a modern look , & a ton more light to the bike...

scout18

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 06:17:45 pm »
your clipons look like they are the same height or so as dragbars.  Ilike that headlight too. How many watts is it?

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 05:47:19 am »
your clipons look like they are the same height or so as dragbars.
Yup.
I borrowed a set of drag's from my buddy , was happy with the "feel" , but liked the look of the    clip-on's. I also angled them in a bit to get alittle more "racer" look.  ;)
I like that headlight too. How many watts is it?
45watt H4 bulb. Gives off A TON more light than the stocker sealed unit. This is obviously because of the brighter bulb, but the diamond cut reflector has allot to do with it as well...
You can walk into any Harley / V-twin shop that is a Drag Specialties dealer and order one up.
Just make sure it is a 7''...

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 06:08:38 am »
I'm planning on moving from drag bars to Tommaselli adjustable clubmans.  The feel of clipons, a little more option in terms of placement, and no wondering what to do with the triple tree clamps.  Also no problem with leaving the stock headlight ears on.
Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Andrew Foss

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 05:10:47 pm »
i have drag bars too, no pics tho unfortunatly...the only thing to watch for is the front brake MC. my brake handle is at a weird angle for now until i can get ahold of somehting better. i rode from philladelphia to western mass in a day (5 1/2 hours with 3 gas/stretch stops) and had no issues with comfort, though i am a smaller guy (about 140 lbs and 5'8" maybe) it seemed like the wind held my weight up (between 70 and 85 most of the trip) and i was very comfortable.
-andrew

Rocking-M

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 06:03:04 pm »
Wish I could find a local bike shop that stocked a few bars. I ain't to fond of having to order everything.
I guess living in the sticks has a few disadvantages. But worth it.

Offline DammitDan

• Jedi
  • Master
  • Slowly returning to the Honda flock...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 09:09:12 pm »
I have GP touring bars on my bike...  They're comfortable enough on longer trips (although the longest I've ridden is only about an hour and a half nonstop).  Unfortunately the wind buffets me around quite a bit at 70-80mph, but that's what I get for going without a fairing.

And if I were just a little bit smaller, I would fit the bike perfectly.  Unfortunately 6'2 is a little big for a cb650  ;D
Signatures are for wimps!