Author Topic: Orphan  (Read 32989 times)

Offline Joel

• Hot Shot
Re: Orphan
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2008, 08:53:17 pm »
Hey here’s an interesting trick. The Buell M2 headlight mounting brackets were the only 43mm brackets that I could find but they just didn’t work out so I found these really cool T-bolt stainless steel clamps and fabed up some custom headlight mounts. These where so easy to make that you can easily play around with angles and dimensions till you get the right setup for you. The T-bolt clamps also come in many sizes so this should work for any fork diameter.

Are the two bracket pieces 1/8" thickness?

Offline Jeff

• Hot Shot
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2008, 09:59:07 am »
Finished café seat ready for the pad and upholstery.   

Badass. Need more photos from more angles please ;D

Jeff

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2008, 10:33:43 am »
NIce work there FJ
Do you have anymore pics between the stages of making the plug and then making the mold.  I am doing the same thing right now and I have my plug nearly complete.  What did you finish yours with to make so smooth, and what was your method from making the mold to leave such a nice inside finish? Thanks

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2008, 10:37:01 am »
Thanks for the advice on the finish coats of the mold plug.
I understand that I will need to apply gel coat to the mold before I lay in some glass, I was just curious as to how you got the shiny, smooth surface inside the mold as shown in your picture. I would like to be able to get a semi smooth surface inside the mold before I lay in some gel coat.
Hopefully I will update my build this weekend, and thanks for the interest in it.  To tell you the truth, I was building just a one off seat with lots o filler, but the beaty of your seat results made me change my mind and to do it right.

Any upholstery updates? 

Offline StrongPerf

• Enthusiast
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2008, 03:52:27 pm »
Simply beautiful!

Ever think of making a shortie version of the rear fender?

Offline Jeff

• Hot Shot
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2008, 04:40:10 pm »
That really is quite impressive. Nice job. How high does the back of the seat hump rise in relation to the top of the tank?

Jeff

Offline Jeff

• Hot Shot
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2008, 10:06:43 pm »
While your first draft was excellent, especially because it's home built, it wasn't shaped quite right, for my tastes. Far better than I could do, though.

However, version 2 looks just about perfect. And you use the stock hinges, correct, so you still use the key to open it? You making any more?

Jeff

Offline Jeff

• Hot Shot
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2008, 12:17:45 pm »
However, version 2 looks just about perfect. And you use the stock hinges, correct, so you still use the key to open it? You making any more?

The stock hinges fit perfectly but the factory lock sticks out from the frame so far that the seat would have to be considerable wider to clear it. I am going to make a pin that will fit through a hole in the factory lock mount and will be secured with a pin clip. Most of the factory lock mount will then be trimmed leaving a small low profile bracket.

I was planning on making another seat or two before selling the mold. Interested?

I'm not interested in buying the mold, but might be interested in a seat depending on cost. When you have an idea what it'll cost, shoot me a PM or something.

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline gold72

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2008, 05:41:25 pm »
wow looks great
bring that racer to the city and lets go for a ride
1972 cb500

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2008, 07:47:49 pm »
Good job Jimmy, you've found a better balance this go-round.

Offline jbot

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2008, 08:32:04 pm »
Hey here’s an interesting trick. The Buell M2 headlight mounting brackets were the only 43mm brackets that I could find but they just didn’t work out so I found these really cool T-bolt stainless steel clamps and fabed up some custom headlight mounts. These where so easy to make that you can easily play around with angles and dimensions till you get the right setup for you. The T-bolt clamps also come in many sizes so this should work for any fork diameter.

absolutely killer idea.  I love the industrial look.  I'm looking into building a headlight bracket myself.  I'm fighting hard not to steal your idea.  :)

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2008, 11:23:17 am »
Dude how much would you be selling seats for if you are producing them..Shoot me a pm with a price of both a seat and a rear fender please.
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2008, 01:36:55 pm »
That is some seriously top notch workmanship! Wow is an understatement.

That first seat construction picture looks like the worlds biggest marshmallow. ;D
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline SUELZER

• Active
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2008, 03:56:36 pm »
Geeesh Jimmy, i'm totally impressed by the quality craftsmanship! Sooo many new ideas on areas i might improve my ride.
Top notch!

your original "ears" on your old forks...i'm looking for something like that so i can get rid of those obtuse turn signals on the front. where'd you find those and/or would you consider selling the one's you're no longer using? heck, while i'm at it, what about the forks? never hurts to ask  ;D

~christian
1976 cb550F
1976 Honda 550F
1993 Ducati 900ss
1979 Honda 750F

Offline Psychoblue23

• *Hella-NorCal*
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2008, 05:09:25 pm »
Just looked through this whole thread, amazing work. The front end is so sick!

Wish I had the tools and time to do this same setup. I bet it rides hella nice!

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2008, 05:25:05 pm »
FunJimmy: You're my new hero. I want to be just like you when I grow up  :D

Offline KeithTurk

• Hot Shot
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2008, 07:24:40 am »
I've just really noticed how inadequate the front fork assembly is.

On my touring 550 with the Wind Jammer the front forks wallow like a PIG over bumps when going slow...   I'm sure there are swing arm issues as well.. but something like your conversion is going to be in my future...

Thanks for the build pic's... Very nice...

K

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2008, 08:12:13 am »
Psycho

Thanks for the complements.
Yup, you’re right. It handles better that I could have hoped.

FunJimmy: You're my new hero. I want to be just like you when I grow up  :D

Iggy

Thanks for that. Feels good to actually laugh out loud.

Hey I'll be in town for the International Motorcycle Show in December.
If you're headed that way, lets meet for a pint.

Jimmy

I was thinking about going to that (just down the hill from me) and there's quite a fine brewery just across the street (more or less) so absolutely!

Offline d3buttz

• More than just an
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2008, 01:17:39 pm »
v
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 02:35:37 pm by d3buttz »
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80508.0

1975 cb750f
1975 cb550k
1972 cb350k
1974 tl125
1996 Nissan pathfinder
1972 Datsun 240z
2002 Nissan sentra se-r spec-v

TheFox

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2009, 10:42:01 pm »
Hey Jimmy, now that you've got the bike tore apart again, could you get me some better measurements of that Dresda swing arm? I'd really like to put one together and need some accuracy. Thanks man.

Brad

Offline unkle fester

• Enthusiast
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2009, 03:31:21 pm »
Lab Metal is a good filler and can be powdercoated..........http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/labmetal.html

Offline raymond182

• 1971 CB500, 1972 CB500, 1978 KZ1000, '76 CB550, 1999 ZRX1100
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2009, 12:49:05 pm »
550i as in fuel Injected?
Res Ipsa Loquitur, but what does it say?

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2009, 04:37:40 pm »
  Jimmy, what is the metal assemply held down by the phillips screws in pic 1117 meant to do?  Never had my cases down that far.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline aussie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2009, 11:14:36 pm »
Thanks guys.

While the engine is getting the full treatment, the painter has possession of all my bodywork, and I’m sp stoked with the direction it’s heading.

No pictures to show yet, but of the several themes that we discussed, he agreed that “Project CB550i Interceptor” was the most interesting. I’m not a great color guy especially when it comes to multi color schemes, but you know you’ve got the right guy when he can tweak a concept and balance the proportions to perfection right before your eyes.  Stay tuned.

Jimmy

What about just a hint ;D

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2009, 07:41:30 am »

You can def see the 1st gen Interceptor as inspiration of this build!! Looks great man!
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)