Author Topic: chain guard  (Read 3527 times)

Offline stearmandriver

chain guard
« on: December 19, 2006, 03:16:34 pm »
I am in the early stages of a complete teardown and restomod of a 75 K5.  I intend to do a full cafe style bike and have cleaned up quite a bit of the unwanted pieces on the frame.  I do have a question concerning the stock chain guard.  Is it possible to use a dry style Teflon lube on the chain and do away with the guard completely?  Has anyone removed their guard only to wish they never had?  This bike will only be ridden on nice days with very little encounter with the elements hopefully.  I think the correct answer is to loose the factory guard and make my own less obtrusive unit, using the stock mount locations. What do the members think?  Your opinions are held very highly!

Thanks for any reply.

Dave
"Everyone needs to be passionate about something, anything...  I'll help you collect acorns if thats your thing, just don't sit there and tell me your bored!"

Offline DME

• Hot Shot
Re: chain guard
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 03:31:32 pm »
Made my own out of stainless steel. Very minimal but it fills its purpose.

Pics here: http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/Daniel+Melander/

I wouldn´t run without it, as it protects the bike (and me...) from the crud that almost always will throw off the chain...

The chainlube that stays on the chain without any of it flinging off is still to be invented  ;)

Cheers and good luck with the build!

Daniel

Offline stearmandriver

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 03:39:30 pm »
Thanks Daniel!

I can't believe I get a reply from the owner of the bike I look to for inspiration.  I saw your guard and will do my best to reproduce.  Your bike is gorgeous.  I have been trying to find an old tank to chop up for my tank stretch.  Keep up the good work and thank you for the reply.  I had a feeling I needed some type of guard, now I  know.

Dave
"Everyone needs to be passionate about something, anything...  I'll help you collect acorns if thats your thing, just don't sit there and tell me your bored!"

Offline DME

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 03:42:15 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, looking forward to see what you´ll end up with  8)
Cheers
Dan

Offline paxtonpony

• Hot Shot
  • Up the Irons!
    • My Pics
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 03:44:19 pm »
Wow, talk about subtle.  That is awesome, very well done!  I've looked at this bike several times and never noticed that.
1969 CB750K - Wrecked
1978 CB750K - Sold
1992 GS500 Streetfighter - Sold
1975 CB750F - Sold (sniff, sniff)
1994 VFR750F - Sold
1990 GSXR 750 - Sold
1999 CBR1100XX - Sold
2000 Triumph Legend TT - Bike of the week for me?
1992 Mustang - Paxton powered (12.02@115mph on street tires) and For Sal

Offline hymodyne

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 04:40:19 pm »
here in Mass, its needed to pass a vehicle inspection...

hym

"All things are ready if our minds be so."

Offline doug_id

• Hot Shot
    • My Cafe 550 Project Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 05:42:50 pm »
I decided to go without on my cafe project.   I then hacked off the mounting points as well.   I have gone without on several different bikes and never had a problem with stuff flying off the chain.   

Doug
02 Concours
78 CB550
06 Stella 150 2t Scooter

kettlesd

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 05:48:56 pm »
If this is to be a "Sunday only" bike you ride twice a year... where you cart it to the show in the back of a hermtically sealed truck, the i say go for it.. whatever floats 'yer boat. But if this is to be a daily rider then i would dfinitely keep the chainguard there - in one form or another.

Offline Klark Kent

• You are in serious trouble if you think I'm an
  • Expert
  • Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration don't fail me now
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 05:51:24 pm »
or youre not 
lubing your chain enough.  ;)
 ;D
-KK
-KK

75 CB550k
76 Moto Guzzi 850T-3FB LAPD- sold
95 KLR650
www.blindpilotmovie.com

download the shop manual:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0
you'll feel better.

listen to your spark plugs:
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

Offline dakeddie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 06:04:07 pm »
I removed my chain gaurd when I installed a new x-ring chain and new sprockets.  Looks alot better in my opinion.  Also, I don't get stuff flinging off... with a dry lube like PJ's lube for o-ring chains, I believe you are supposed to wipe away the excess lube.

Hop on a Honda

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 11:33:32 pm »
Re Chain guard

Hop on a Honda

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 11:40:40 pm »
Opps.
The chain guard is there for a good purpose. Ask a guy from just north of Sydney Australia.
Just recently the chain joining link let go and the guard took almost all the force .
It the guard was well and truly junked!. Also his wife was riding the CB 750 and no doubt her leg and the engine casings were saved. The link obviously was not checked.
Dave

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 06:06:58 pm »
Opps.
The chain guard is there for a good purpose. Ask a guy from just north of Sydney Australia.
Just recently the chain joining link let go and the guard took almost all the force .
It the guard was well and truly junked!. Also his wife was riding the CB 750 and no doubt her leg and the engine casings were saved. The link obviously was not checked.
Dave

Its not the first time that sort of thing has happened. Guard is there for 2 reasons, 1stop crap dropping on chain 2, prevent damage to ride if something lets go
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline stearmandriver

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 12:20:28 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  I will be making a custom guard for the project.  The stock guard works perfectly, it just looks hideous! 

Thanks
Dave

Hop on a Honda

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 08:00:37 pm »
I'll swap you a guard for a ride in the Steerman.
Better still a good CB 750 for a Steerman
Have a Happy Christmas
Dave in Australia.

Offline stearmandriver

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 10:58:00 am »
My bird has been sold, but I am restoring one that should be ready in a year or two.  When I get it back in the air, I'll give rides to any of you SOHC people who show up with gas money!  Especially someone who comes from "down under".

Dave

Hop on a Honda

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 12:59:21 pm »
Great offer
where is your AO
Dave Australia.

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 01:18:54 pm »
I never saw a racebike w/ a chainguard. Just make sure its new chain.