Author Topic: Just Acquired - 77 750F - Some Questions/Advice  (Read 2495 times)

ginobass56

Just Acquired - 77 750F - Some Questions/Advice
« on: May 16, 2005, 11:03:52 am »
Hello All,

I am the happy owner of an 81 750K DOHC which I brought back from the dead after 16 years of neglect, and have just acquired a 77 750F that has been sitting down the road from me next to some lady's garage for quite a while. $50, with title!! (in NY, no title, you're SOL - parts bike). It's pretty much intact and in cosmetically much better condition than the 81 was. Still rough, though, lots of work ahead. It's either a diamond in the rough or a black hole, not sure which yet. Not terribly familiar with the SOHC world, but you guys are so here goes:

1) Bike has 4-1 exhaust, is that stock for a 77 F?

2) Bike has no center stand (I really miss that) - is that normal for an F? If one can be installed, what other years/models will fit so I can start the hunt.

3) I see these references to 'K0' or 'K2' etc. or 'F1' or 'F2' when people speak of the various SOHC models. The DOHCs don't do that - it's an F or a K, period. What is the significance of this designation, and how do I determine which one applies to the 77?

4) Keys - the lady who I bought the bike from, while she was able to locate the title after months of searching, did not have the keys. Has anyone else had this situation, and how did you resolve it? The key apparently does the ignition, the gas tank cover, and it looks like the seat has a lock/hinge to it to get to the battery, etc (the 81 does not - two bolts hold the seat, there's only a helmet lock).

5) It appears that one would need to remove the gas tank to get to spark plugs 2 and 3 - is that so? I want to get some Marvel oil into the cylinder bores for a good soak. Does the tank need to go to get the valve cover off? I'd like to check the top end out too before I try to turn it over

6) I'm not familiar with the SOHC dry oil sump. The DOHC has a wet sump, oil is in crank/tranny case, no oil tank. I looked in the oil tank of the 77 and it's bone dry. Did not pull crankcase plug or filter yet on the outside chance that there's some oil in there. I want to be sure there's sufficient lube in there before I try to turn it over (not start, just spin free).

Well that's about it for now. Clymer from eBay is on the way. I'll try to get some pics up. Any input greatly appreciated!!

Lumbee

Re: Just Acquired - 77 750F - Some Questions/Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 11:14:22 am »
1) Bike has 4-1 exhaust, is that stock for a 77 F?

Yes

2) Bike has no center stand (I really miss that) - is that normal for an F? If one can be installed, what other years/models will fit so I can start the hunt.

No, not normal, should be able to get one for it...check ebay, or go to forsale/wanted section and post.

3) I see these references to 'K0' or 'K2' etc. or 'F1' or 'F2' when people speak of the various SOHC models. The DOHCs don't do that - it's an F or a K, period. What is the significance of this designation, and how do I determine which one applies to the 77?

http://hondachopper.com/modifications.html

4) Keys - the lady who I bought the bike from, while she was able to locate the title after months of searching, did not have the keys. Has anyone else had this situation, and how did you resolve it? The key apparently does the ignition, the gas tank cover, and it looks like the seat has a lock/hinge to it to get to the battery, etc (the 81 does not - two bolts hold the seat, there's only a helmet lock).

Your screwed!!!   ;D Nah...not sure I can help there...let someone else take that one...

5) It appears that one would need to remove the gas tank to get to spark plugs 2 and 3 - is that so? I want to get some Marvel oil into the cylinder bores for a good soak. Does the tank need to go to get the valve cover off? I'd like to check the top end out too before I try to turn it over

You can get to plugs 2/3 is just a pain in the butt.  U won't like this...not only does the gas tank need to come off, but the engine needs to come out to remove the valve cover.  :'(

6) I'm not familiar with the SOHC dry oil sump. The DOHC has a wet sump, oil is in crank/tranny case, no oil tank. I looked in the oil tank of the 77 and it's bone dry. Did not pull crankcase plug or filter yet on the outside chance that there's some oil in there. I want to be sure there's sufficient lube in there before I try to turn it over (not start, just spin free).

This is normal, over time if a bike sits the oil will leak from the oil tank into the case, the case is probably full of oil..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 11:15:53 am by Lumbee »

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 02:01:20 pm »
Not much to add to Lumbee's very good advice.  But, a couple things...
While the stock bike did have a 4 into 1 exhaust, these were routinely replaced with aftermarket types.  Some of these replacements interfered with stock centerstand operation and owners simply removed the stand and discarded it.  I think only the 77 and 78 frames used the same centerstand, but I don't have any earlier models to verify.

While a key will operate the gas tank latch, they aren't really keyed.  Just about any key inserted will open the latch.  A competent locksmith can make a new key for your locks.  Either call them out or bring your ignition switch/lock to them to have a new key made.  Stock, the ignition key also operated the seat lock.

While the clymer manual will be of some help, I've found them to be dissapointing and sometimes misleading for the later model SOHC4 bikes especially.  I bought my Honda CB750 Shop manual with all the supplements for the later models from www.Helminc.com.  I find it WAY more useful than the Clymer.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 02:15:29 pm »
in NY, no title, you're SOL - parts bike.

Totally not true... I use title services all the time in NY never had a problem. Anyway.

Congrads on your new purchase. you'll find that while a DOC bike may have power, no bike has character like a SOHC 7fiddy. One of the things that I always disliked about the supersports was that SOHC honda disc brakes are not the best. YOu probably have one of the few years where they were better than most, but just becareful. So Lets see some pics of the new bike.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline Dennis

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 02:19:04 pm »
As far as the keys, I have purchased keys just using the lock code number up to the F model. That would be '76 model year. I don't know about anything later, don't know if they changed lock style after '76.
If you can see a number on the lock, you can probably purchase a key somewhere.

Offline Warlock

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 05:46:59 pm »
Greets,
There is a seller (ttm14gbr) currently on Ebay offering vintage NOS factory Honda keys. Check the number on your ignition switch against the numbers he is offering. You might get lucky....
Ride On...

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 06:00:55 pm »
Sources for keys:

http://www.cmsnl.com/keys.php?category_id=125 - Europe

http://www.reproductiondecals.com (go to More Info / NOS Keys) - Canada

http://www.hondakeys.com (duh!) - USA
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 06:02:50 pm by tintin »
Roule comme dans les annĂ©es 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 05:17:45 am »
I have a centerstand for that bike.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

ginobass56

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 09:18:18 am »
Thanks to all for the great info  ;D