Author Topic: Anyone land speed racing at Loring, Maine or the Ohio mile  (Read 8293 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
Anyone land speed racing at Loring, Maine or the Ohio mile
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:46:14 pm »
Curious if there are any Honda sohc4s doing either event this year, past years, or are planning to in the future!

George

Offline johno

• Expert
Re: Anyone land speed racing at Loring, Maine or the Ohio mile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 06:54:24 am »
Nor familiar with those places, only been to LA ,   What type of tracks are they George ?    salt lake or airstrip,  sea level or high ?

Do the racers get plenty of runs ?

cheers Johno
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline Sprocketwerx

• I'm just a motorhead, can't leave nuthin alone!
  • Enthusiast
  • I like 'em fast and clean
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:33:36 am »
I want to go to Ohio but no time to put something together.
Maybe when my bigbore motor is back together, prob next year.
Dan "Sprocket" Harris
Sprocketwerx Motorsports

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:26:58 pm »
Loring is an airstrip in my neck of the woods. Long enough for the 311mph bike record. I'm told that you don't get lots of passes, but never been there.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 01:55:45 pm »

Loring, Maine:

http://www.lta-lsr.com/Pages/default.aspx
http://www.lta-lsr.com/Pages/Track.aspx
http://bangordailynews.com/2012/07/10/sports/car-motorcycle-competitors-to-seek-record-speeds-at-lorings-land-speed-races/

Ohio Mile:

The East Coast Timing Association has relocated their standing mile land speed record meets from Maxton, North Carolina to the Wilmington Airpark in Wilmington Ohio for 2012 onward. There is a 9000 foot long runway that is supposed to be the smoothest regularly operated standing mile venue in the country.

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

George

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 03:25:03 pm »
Thanks George, great links. :D
Must be a lot of interest there, having the smooth bitumax surface would be good, I see they have the fastest conventional motorcycle record there at 311 mph, baby thats cookin.
Must be a popular track , Ohio has people on a waiting list waiting for entry so good for the sport.
In a world of enforced speed limits Every old fart wants to go fast occaisonally to get their youth back.

Cheers George .... Johno
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 03:41:47 pm »
If you need to know anything about LSR in the States, ask this guy http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=profile;u=5583 He ran Maxton and now runs Loring.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 04:28:46 pm »
Sam........I know Keith has the fastest Camero in the world (according to Keith) but several hundred others would put up a BIG argument about who knows what is going on in the North American world of land speed racing.  Keith is a great guy....he even sells things at swap-meets.......and tells a good story over a beer or 3.

Take a look at www.landracing.com for more info
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline KeithTurk

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 08:30:33 pm »
I think the term now is that I "have" owned the worlds fastest Camaro... there are two others that are faster now... but hey that's what records and speed is about...

I am a member of 6,  200mph clubs in the US and have been to Lake Gairdner 3 times in Australia...    While I don't know it all.... I'm fairly well Versed in this venue....  and I do co-own and run the ECTA ( which is the Ohio Mile )...

There are only 3 SOHC 750's that have run with the ECTA over the years and they rarely break 100mph in a Mile... fun stuff and great bikes... just not Busa fast....

K

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 08:59:49 pm »
There are only 3 SOHC 750's that have run with the ECTA over the years and they rarely break 100mph in a Mile... fun stuff and great bikes... just not Busa fast....

K

Keith,

Thanks for checking in.  I am a bit surprised that you haven't seen more cb750s on the land speed courses.  So many of these bikes are still out there, with great HIPO aftermarket support, many of which are noticeably more powerful than stock.  Some dragbikes have hit 140mph plus in the quarter...

Are there many vintage bikes in general out there in land speed world?  I know there are some, but cars and newer bikes seem to be the most common.

I think Bill Benton should take the chapman framed Tiger up to the Ohio Mile ;D.  So what class would he be in?  No fairing, lay down dragster chassis, single engine, 836cc, N/A... 

George

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:41:36 pm by gschuld »

Offline KeithTurk

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:37:19 am »
a laydown Triumph Tiger would run in an Altered Push rod class based on the CC of the bike.   I just looked up the record for Wilmington and it's open... ( nobody has run on the 750cc pushrod record )....

As for the Honda's... I should have said "Barely" rather then Rarely....    the fastest one I remember is around 106...  it was a restored F model the guy had loved on for a while...    We simply haven't seen any hot rodded SOHC bikes

As a kid I grew up around RC Engineering....  there is no doubt SOHC 750 can haul several different kinds of ass....  and frankly if you guys really cared,  we could create a class for them....  it's not really a big deal to us... and it might make for an interesting challenge.  We would simply need to have 4 members come to us with entries.  ( it's not quite this easy... but pretty close to it.. )

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 02:10:21 am »
I remember that guy Keith but I did a search and couldn't come up with anything.
I remember thinking at the time, any decent 750 should have topped the speed he did but like you said, it was his pride and joy, perhaps he didn't want to push it to hard.
I often wonder how fast the Samauto drag bike would be if it wasn't geared right down for the quarter.
It runs 116mph at the end of the quarter with 10,000 on the tach and ran on to 13,500 when the throttle stuck open, with a quarter fairing and some tall gearing, it might run, (insert your guess here)  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 04:50:36 am »
Go for it Sam!

Actually Keith, I was referring to Bill Benton's cb750(836cc currently) powered mid 70s vintage lay down dragster.  It's name is the Tiger, no relation to Triumphs. 

Currently vintage cb750 based bikes would have to compete on an equal basis with modern bikes based on their CC category correct?  I understand that the Loring event now has a separate class (classic) that separates out 1956-1986 vintage machines.  That would certainly make the owners of a 70's bike feel more capable of competing and earning a record.

Do you offer something similar?  Perhaps I missed it.  If not, it may be worth considering.  An OHC 750 in the 750cc and/or 1000cc restricted to a class with 1956-86 vintage engines could fair quite well if set up properly.  Throw just about any Mike Reick engined bike out there it will scoot!

Perhaps the Samauto could test the waters...

George

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 09:18:00 am »
The CLASSIC class began last year for AMA-BUB at the Salt Flats. A few sohc bikes are in the planning stages.  Sam and others...........gear it right and go for it 8) 8) 8)

My guess is the SAM-AUTO would run at 149 mph in the 1000cc class and maybe top 150 with partial streamlining.  Speed-rated tires are somewhat limited for sizes.  The BIG difference is running the motor wide open for more than a mile.........and then proving it in the opposite direction ;)

I will be at BUB in late August with my Triumph Cub. A few others on this board are planning to attend.  More are welcome..........bring your own bike and $$$$. I'll buy you a cold beer.  Competitor registration should open any day now :) :) :) :)   
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 08:42:07 pm »
Our problem is, we have rocker arms but an overhead cam. We're lost between the pages in the rulebook. Some where after the pushrod era and before the twin cam monster engines from the new bikes.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 08:44:52 pm »
I've been wanting to take my 567" chevy dragster/ potential lakester to Ohio but I'm barely able to keep it on the strip recently.  Just the tires and wheels needed go beyond my budget.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 02:14:11 pm »
Out of curiosity(like I could stop myself ;)) I e-mailed Joe Daly from the Loring Timing Association.  He serves as:

Motorcycle Technical Director
Name:  Joe Daly
             (516) 872-9387

Joe Daley serves as the Motorcycle technical director for the LTA.  Joe is retired from the NYPD and is a facilities manager for American Airlines. He has decades of drag and LSR racing in the Special Construction Pushrod classes and is one of the best assets our organization has. He is also the only guy we know that can wear a white long sleeved shirt all day teching bikes and not get a spot or crud on it.

Contact Joe with questions regarding: Motorcycle classes, motorcycle rules and technical questions. 

And this was his response:  (How small the world is regarding HIPO 70s cb750s)

George - Your interest is noted and the reason for the "Classic" engine class was to provide an opportunity to race the pre crotch rocket engines in a category that they would be competitive in.  My brother Tom raced and holds the Production record for Classics on his 1974 CB750. He purchased it new 40 years ago. I drag raced a 750 Honda with a big stroker back in the mid 70-s. I have a  D-K frame for a Z1 that I will eventually find a suitable power plant for.  The safety rules are fairly straight forward and resemble a lot of drag racing rules.  Only concerns are tires rated for realistic speeds that are newer then 10 years old. Doubt you would need ZR rating. Riders safety equipment is the same for all.  At Loring 100 HP should translate to the high 150-s based on experience. I personally race a 72" drag frame powered with a 1000cc Sportster engine that puts out 90 HP and runs low 150-s.

Last year was the first year for the Classic powered classes and it is still wide open.  Looks like Tom's is the only record for Classic;

TOM DALY   FAIRWAY MOTORSPORTS    P/PC-750/4    108.166mph      FINAL

So the field is wide open .... Would love to see some old time drag machines raced competitively again.

Joe Daly

FWIW, there you have it.  Who wants to be in the record books!  I'm not sure what provisions the East Coast Timing Association (Ohio Mile) and the Bonneville Salt Flats rules are exactly regarding the classes and potential competitiveness of 70s vintage cb750s, but the Loring guys sure seem to be encouraging our kind of bikes to run. 

Just a thought...

George   

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 04:21:10 pm »
108 MPH is beatable guys, go to it.... 8)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 07:33:34 pm »
From the Loring Timing Association rulebook:

CLASSIC (C) Any 4-stroke air cooled motorcycle engine:  MOTORCYCLE ENGINES ONLY.

A: Manufactured between 1956 and 1986 inclusively.   
B: Extensive design and modification of engine allowed. 
C: Alteration of cooling fin design, size and placement is allowed. 
D:  Any system designed to enhance cooling is not permitted.
    (This includes, but is not limited to water injection, nitrous oxide
or water spray systems, radiators, enlarged oil capacity or modified
oil systems.) 
E: Fuel delivery may be modified or upgraded but OEM carbureted
bikes must remain carbureted.  F: OEM fuel injection may be retained,
modified or replaced by carburetors. G: No non-OEM engine
management allowed. 
H: One distributor or magneto allowed. 
I: Computers are allowed for data collection purposes only.

George

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 02:27:18 pm »

Why go to Ohio when I have a ticket with 116mph on it.  ::) after 1320 feet. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 03:21:58 pm »
True, but that 108mph was in the heavily restricted production class, 750cc limit, even stock exhaust required.  Not that a freshly tuned dead stock 69/70 K0 shouldn't be able to beat that number fairly easily...

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 03:33:09 pm »
You're right George, it would.
I rode a stocker when they first came out in the UK. It peaked in 4th across the line. We didn't have terminal speed traps back then but it didn't take rocket science to figure how fast it was going.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 04:44:34 pm »
Sent an email inquiry to see if there's a 'Classic' class for the sidecar. ;D ;D ;D ;D
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Sprocketwerx

• I'm just a motorhead, can't leave nuthin alone!
  • Enthusiast
  • I like 'em fast and clean
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 07:06:48 am »

Why go to Ohio when I have a ticket with 116mph on it.  ::) after 1320 feet. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Because you don't have to shut it down @ 116, more room to go even faster!
;) :) :) ;) :D :D :D :P
Dan "Sprocket" Harris
Sprocketwerx Motorsports

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 01:28:56 pm »
It didn't do 116 because of the track...it did 116 because it is geared down to hell.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92