Author Topic: 836 kit with 12:1 compression ratio, opinions  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
836 kit with 12:1 compression ratio, opinions
« on: May 16, 2005, 03:01:37 pm »
Hi All,
just looking for some opinions on this kit.  Has anyone used this?  What cam did you use?  What carbs?  Were you happy with the performance?
I am puting together a spec chart for my CB750 Dunstall replica.  This is the motor spec I am thinking of going with:
836 kit 12:1 CR
Megacycle 125-65 cam
Port & polish head
Race valves, stainless: oversize inlet, stock exhaust
Ti-retainers and Hi Perf springs
lightened rocker arms
Adjustable cam sprocket
Hi Perf cam chain and tensioner
Falicon con rods
lighten and polish crankshaft
lightened alternator
transmission undercutting
30mm Mikuni carbs
Dyna S ignition and Dyna Coils
Any opinions or additions to the spec?  All opinions welcomed.
Thanks
Rookster

Offline oldbiker

• Expert
  • I HATE RAIN
Re: 836 kit with 12:1 compression ratio, opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 02:08:41 am »
At 12-1 compression you will need very good gas to avoid detonation which will eat through your pistons.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: 836 kit with 12:1 compression ratio, opinions
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 04:35:03 am »
That's a nice list. I wouldn't use 12:1- it is to high for the street and doesn't allow you to mill the head or, more importantly, deck the cylinder to improve squish. 10.5:1 is about it with good chamber work. For the money I'd go with Carrillo rods. A Dyna 2000 is light years ahead of the Dnya S- for the money you will be spending you have to get one. The lightened rocker arms are not worth the money. If you want to effectively lighten the valve train you have to go for the 5mm valve kit. which is really nice but pricey. I assume you'll be using the M3 cam chain tensioner- I have one installed in my engine and it seems to work fine. I'd go for the 125-75 cam to get everything out of the oversize intakes, port work and large carbs. You will need a Falicon adjustable cam sprocket too. I have a new Tsubaki heavy duty cam chain for sale- the thread is on the first page in the "For Sale" section here.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 05:02:41 am by MRieck »
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"