Author Topic: CB350F still smoking after 2 rebuilds... Ideas anyone? NEED HELP.  (Read 24041 times)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: CB350F still smoking after 2 rebuilds... Ideas anyone? NEED HELP.
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2012, 01:19:13 am »
these have a wet sump no scavenge.

Offline KRMK3

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2012, 02:08:19 am »
Thanks, not familiar with the 350F !

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2012, 02:29:13 am »
no sweat,only the 750 was dry with the separate oil tank.

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2012, 04:06:05 am »
White smoke can be caused by a rich condition, although it isn't common. 
Blue smoke is caused by burning oil, although synthetic type oils can look almost white.
Black smoke is caused by a rich condition where the mixture can only partially burn.
White smoke is caused by a rich condition where the fuel doesn't burn at all and is usually accompanied by a miss.
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline craywm

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2012, 05:59:48 am »
It was a blown head gasket all

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2012, 06:39:58 am »
Just a thought but did you check the ring end gaps in the bores to see whether they were within spec before re-assembly ?  From the video it seems to be burning oil and it looks to me like it is a piston/bore/ring problem and not valves/guides. A rich fuel mixture wouldn't show itself with blueish exhaust smoke. Is the oil pump scavenging properly, if not that may be the problem.
   Good luck with it.   
What is the relationship of the oil pump scavenging to smoking? I ask as I have a rebuilt CB750 that smokes and I just realized the stopper valve on the scavenge side of the pump was stuck open. The symptom was the oil tank kept draining out into the crankcases.

I thought the 2 were unrelated, till you made the comment.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 750resurrection

• Hot Shot
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2012, 07:34:02 am »
Nice, answers !!! Love it I love it.

Good luck cray on the next head gasket and McRider very interesting - that's a nice easy fix if it turns out.

Offline KRMK3

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2012, 12:07:03 pm »
Just a thought but did you check the ring end gaps in the bores to see whether they were within spec before re-assembly ?  From the video it seems to be burning oil and it looks to me like it is a piston/bore/ring problem and not valves/guides. A rich fuel mixture wouldn't show itself with blueish exhaust smoke. Is the oil pump scavenging properly, if not that may be the problem.
   Good luck with it.   
What is the relationship of the oil pump scavenging to smoking? I ask as I have a rebuilt CB750 that smokes and I just realized the stopper valve on the scavenge side of the pump was stuck open. The symptom was the oil tank kept draining out into the crankcases.

Probably more appropriate to classic British machinery than a CB750K Honda MC (as the Honda has a reasonable sump below the pump) but any build up of excess oil in the bottom of the engine crankcases through poor scavenging or gravity leakage through the oil pump when left standing will usually end up being sprayed up into the cylinders by the flywheels/crank webs causing over-lubrication. This can cause the motor to emit smoke when running. With 'wet-sumping' through standing the symptoms soon disappear when engine has run for a few minutes i.e. when the pump has shifted the excess oil back to the oil tank.         

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2012, 01:40:49 pm »
   Good luck with it.   

Probably more appropriate to classic British machinery than a CB750K Honda MC (as the Honda has a reasonable sump below the pump) but any build up of excess oil in the bottom of the engine crankcases through poor scavenging or gravity leakage through the oil pump when left standing will usually end up being sprayed up into the cylinders by the flywheels/crank webs causing over-lubrication. This can cause the motor to emit smoke when running. With 'wet-sumping' through standing the symptoms soon disappear when engine has run for a few minutes i.e. when the pump has shifted the excess oil back to the oil tank.       
While waiting for your answer, I sortof came up with that on my own. Mine sumped it all, 3.5 qts and never refilled the tank for as little as i've run it.

Here's hoping. I should get it back or near back together tomorrow. (Pump's out and apart right now)
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline craywm

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2012, 08:54:56 pm »
Just to be clear, it was a head gasket blown because of warped head. Remachined and should be fine, ill post upon rebuild! It didnt smoke before my first rebuild so it cant be anything else but the head gasket.

Offline KRMK3

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2012, 04:28:20 am »
Glad you've found the problem !
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:30:08 am by KRMK3 »

Offline camelman

• Man... Myth... Legend
  • Master
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2012, 10:00:37 am »
I'm glad you got it figured out.  I'm in your boat now too though.  Something's given up the ghost on my 350F (I loaned it to a friend for a few months) and it is burning oil now from all four cylinders.  The rockers are pretty where they contact the cam too... ugh!  It still runs fine, but I'll be burrowing into it to figure out the issue.  Where did you decide to source your new head gasket and rubber dowel gaskets from?  I'm planning to contact Honda since I'm not sold on the quality of the VESRAH (or other) kits these days.

Camelman
1972 350f rider: sold
1972 350f/466f cafe: for sale
1977 CB400f cafe:sold
1975 CB400f rider: sold
1970 CB750 K0 complete bike: sold
2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 rider

We've got to cut it off... and then come down on rockets.  (quoted from: seven minutes of terror)

Online HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2012, 09:56:01 pm »
I'm glad you got it figured out.  I'm in your boat now too though.  Something's given up the ghost on my 350F (I loaned it to a friend for a few months) and it is burning oil now from all four cylinders.  The rockers are pretty where they contact the cam too... ugh!  It still runs fine, but I'll be burrowing into it to figure out the issue.  Where did you decide to source your new head gasket and rubber dowel gaskets from?  I'm planning to contact Honda since I'm not sold on the quality of the VESRAH (or other) kits these days.

Camelman

I just finished a 400F, got those parts from Honda. Good thing it was Sochiro's favorite bike!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2012, 10:04:45 pm »
How did you check the valve guides???
Did you measure the wobble the way the book shows you?
Or did you just put a valve in a guide and say that feels good.

Not one word about measuring the cylinders and the pistons.

Offline craywm

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2013, 07:23:39 pm »
Just so people know, I had to rebuild again and redid the entire top end again. used same valves and valve seals. Its still smoking now but I only put 4.5 miles on since I rebuilt it. hopefully the rings break in.

Offline nivlac

• Old, bold and startin' to mold
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2013, 12:46:35 pm »
I hate that for you buddy.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2013, 01:35:51 pm »
Just so people know, I had to rebuild again and redid the entire top end again. used same valves and valve seals. Its still smoking now but I only put 4.5 miles on since I rebuilt it. hopefully the rings break in.
Seems replacing the valves would be desirable, and certainly the seals mandatory. Why did you not?   :o
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline craywm

« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2013, 05:14:56 pm »
I actually meant to put new valve seals but same valves. I cleaned the valves and they still had a lot of life. just sucks that even though they were pretty before they aren't now! I just put 20 miles on the new engine and the smoke has reduced considerably. still a good amount left. most likely crappy exhaust residue from burning oil before was causing a lot of smoke. anyway im hoping by atleast 50 miles it will be broken in fully and not smoking so I can change the oil and do some fine tuning. how long do your guys engines usually take to break in? i.e. rings seating? Ive never had smoke like this before on an engine rebuild.. Ive done a few in the past. is this a Four thing?