Author Topic: Restoration Project Completed...  (Read 1727 times)

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
Restoration Project Completed...
« on: May 04, 2013, 03:56:27 pm »
I did a moderate rebuild for a friends father.  My friend wanted to restore his fathers 72 Kawasaki F7 for his 65th birthday.  I lost all the before photos when i wiped my phone, but here is the finished product.

All work was done by my friend and myself.  Paint was done by me.  This was a resto on a budget.  Managed to spend only a few hundred on parts and materials.  Night and day transformation.  Thanks for looking.
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

Drink fast, drive slow, but ride it like you stole it

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline MOONDOGNYC

• BLOOD, SWEAT AND GEARS
  • Enthusiast
Re: Restoration Project Completed...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 04:05:10 pm »
Very cool !
1977 CB750F

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 04:10:21 pm »
very nice. you got to love little smokers.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline gto_ron

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 05:14:02 pm »
You did a nice job!

Ron

76 CB750K
72 CB350F
64 GTO

why yes, I am old-school, so what? 

These are the good old days.

Offline jason41987

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 05:59:29 pm »
never seen many old kawasakis before, but that one is absolutely gorgeous

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 08:05:56 pm »
 Did you need to do an overbore?
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline Brookesy in Oz

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:07:33 pm »
Nice work. Some of the guys here have decided to fix up some old "chook chasers" in a bid to recapture our youth. (It won't work but could be fun) So far 1x Kawasaki KV100 1x (very early) DT175, 1x XL175 & 1x XL185.
Honda CB750 K1 - awesome
Honda CB450 K5 - current project
Honda CB750 K2 - sold
Kawasaki Z1000 - sold

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 05:43:17 am »
Thanks for the kind words.  I didn't need to do anything to the motor other than clean the carbs, and degrease the motor itself.  The bike was well taken car of, just not ridden since '95.  Cosmetically it needed help.  It had dents in the tank.  Fenders with cracks that ere poorly brazed back together, and just normal wear and tear in the seat and many other places.  It was a fun project, albeit very rushed as we had until yesterday to complete it, spent about a week on the project (about 35 hours myself and another 20 from my friend) all after our regular 9-5's.  Lots of late nights.  :)
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 03:10:27 pm »
I took a couple of the gas tank prep and paint.

And yes I do know I put the Kawasaki stickers on the wrong sides... oh well... got one side on and figured out I did it wrong.  But with 2 nights before the guys birthday I couldnt get new decals in time to do it over...  He hasnt noticed yet~!

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 08:15:51 pm »
cool...I got an F7 waiting...but it's way in the back of the line.  This may have moved it up a couple places.  What's it like to ride?
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline CoachDoc

• Hot Shot
  • 1974 CB550, 2005 GL1800, 1997 Valkyrie Standard
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 08:39:25 pm »
Great resto. It's always great to see these old bikes come back to life.

Nic

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 11:51:23 pm »
Very eco friendly tank strip there mate.

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 04:52:59 am »
@Nic ... yeah in retrospect that was a terrible way to strip the tank.  It was one of those rushed get it done yesterday builds and I didn't do things the way I normally would.  Hopefully not too much go into the ground water  :-\   I don't usually use stripping chemicals for that very reason.

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Nic

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 02:58:11 pm »
Good to hear mate. Back in the 70s we didn't know any better and/or it just wasn't talked about, littering wasn't even an issue. Ah the good ol days :)