Author Topic: Packing shorty reverse cone mufflers?  (Read 6113 times)

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
Packing shorty reverse cone mufflers?
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:16:08 am »
 I have a set of the shorty, 17" reverse cone mufflers on the way soon. The pics are nabbed from ebay, but they're the same mufflers.

One common complaint about these mufflers is that they're loud. It looks like the end cap is removable. Has anyone tried wrapping the baffle with fiberglass muffler wrap or packing to muffle the sound a bit? Not wanting to choke 'em or completely silence them, but I was wondering if a little muffler packing would mellow the sound a bit?

'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
Re: Packing shorty reverse cone mufflers?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:27:09 am »
I had those on my 360.  Wrapping the baffles with fiberglass didn't make much of a difference.  It took a little of the sharpness off the top, but that's about it. 

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:49:40 am »
 Could you tell any difference performance wise?
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 07:58:47 am »
Nope.  It's such a free-flowing exhaust that wrapping the baffles doesn't really do much of anything.  You still have the large hole at the end of the baffle that lets the sound and exhaust go straight through. 

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 08:31:21 am »
Do not stuff fiberglass packing in these it just blows out all over the place and then you will be breathing it in your garage.

If you have fiberglass packing in a muffler start it up and open the garage door. You will see all the fiberglass particles  floating like glitter in the sunlight.

What is the best thing to do is put a metal baffle in the head pipe. THEN attach the reverse cone megaphone and it will reduce the sound. I have done it.
I got the all metal baffle online through Cycle Shack.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 02:35:08 pm »
You suggest some strange sh1t for a mechanic Lucky, why would you put anything in the header pipes, thats just plain stupid....    :o
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 02:53:52 pm »
strangely, I kinda see where lucky is going with this  ???
some sort of insert, like a mac style baffle, just past the collector, right where this slip on fits. (not in the header)
just adding another point of resistance to quiet it down, and one more thing to tune for  ::)
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 03:29:58 pm »
strangely, I kinda see where lucky is going with this  ???
some sort of insert, like a mac style baffle, just past the collector, right where this slip on fits. (not in the header)
just adding another point of resistance to quiet it down, and one more thing to tune for  ::)

I would be more inclined to but some baffle material and make a slightly smaller diameter baffle and do it properly, any restriction further up the pipes is going to effect power pulses and tuning, that is going backwards in my opinion....  Doesn't someone like Cone engineering have baffles...?
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 04:59:26 pm »
There's lots of proper packing around...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-20-x-38-TECHMAT-MOTORCYCLE-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-PACKING-WRAP-/140969457574?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20d26f37a6

That's the stuff I was talking about using. I've seen it wrapped and taped. The mufflers don't get super hot like the headers....wonder what tape would hold up best?
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 06:26:58 pm »
The tape is just to hold the packing in place when inserting the baffle into the muffler. I've even used masking tape! You actually want the tape to fail, as this will allow the packing to expand. If the packing is tightly compressed, it won't be as effective as a silencer. An absorption type silencer tends to reduce the higher frequency elements, or sharpness as Gordon stated.
The design of the baffle also can make a difference; the size /shape/number of perforations, and the length of the perforations in the tube. When you get the mufflers, pull them apart and see what you have to work with.
Here's a pic of the baffle from my bike, with a good portion of the 'glass burned out.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....