Author Topic: Frame paint, what type?  (Read 9252 times)

Offline Dunk

• Expert
Frame paint, what type?
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:53:25 pm »
Has anyone used the VHT epoxy rattle can paint for a frame and related parts? I picked up a couple cans the other day thinking I would try it on my frame. I got the "Epoxy Paint" SP650 (http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/epoxypaint/) as the "Roll Bar and Chassis Paint" SP670 (http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/rollbarchassis/) didn't specifically say epoxy on the can, that I saw at least. Does anyone know the difference between these? Should I use one over the other? Is there another product that comes in a rattle can that would work better? I like that from reading around the VHT epoxy sounds reasonably durable and I can touch up easily if I scratch anything.

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
Re: Frame paint, what type?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 04:25:40 pm »
Spray can paint is OK at the minimum!!! No matter what type paint  Epoxy or Enamel they thin it so much and add propellent to it that you actually DON'T get that much paint from the can... Go to a paint store and have them mix you some GLOSS black and put it in spray cans for you. It cost a little more but in the long run it will be well worth it.

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline KRONUS0100

• MAD MATT THE MANIAC
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:03:54 pm »
im thinking about using the farm implement paint on my frame, the new holland blue turned out good on the tank and stuff
MATT
current bikes:  1976 CB750F, 1981 GS1100E
bikes owned:1981 GL1100I, 1990 GS500E, 1981 GS850, 1977 and 1979 GS750, 1974 CB750, 1975 CB750, and a 1982 GS750E

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 05:30:20 pm »
Has anyone used the VHT epoxy rattle can paint for a frame and related parts? I picked up a couple cans the other day thinking I would try it on my frame. I got the "Epoxy Paint" SP650 (http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/epoxypaint/) as the "Roll Bar and Chassis Paint" SP670 (http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/rollbarchassis/) didn't specifically say epoxy on the can, that I saw at least. Does anyone know the difference between these? Should I use one over the other? Is there another product that comes in a rattle can that would work better? I like that from reading around the VHT epoxy sounds reasonably durable and I can touch up easily if I scratch anything.

I have tried the VHT on a cb500 frame and it's not that bad so long as you do the recommended prep work in advance.  It requires a 320 grit sand.  I skipped this step and drove myself crazy trying to fix it.  If you have the funds do yourself a favor and powder coat the frame and spray the rest if you are on a budget.

It's alot of work doing an engine pull and the can stuff does not really hold up that well.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 08:23:06 pm »
A friend does antique bikes, he uses Rustoleum appliance black epoxy spray. I tried it looks nice.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 04:12:45 am »
im thinking about using the farm implement paint on my frame, the new holland blue turned out good on the tank and stuff

That's what I used on my Jeep.  It takes long time to harden but after it cures, it's like a rock - my experience and also opinion of a guy from body shop.

I will use it on my frame too.

Offline CapeCafe

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 04:41:11 am »
I recently used the Eastman Extreme Chassis Black(satin) with the Eastman Extreme Chassis Black primer.  It came out excellent.  Since I don't have the bike on the road yet, I can't comment on the road durability, but it has with stood multiple whacks while in the shop.  I used the rattle can version.  I media blasted the complete frame so I started with a clean, prepped frame.  I used (1) can of primer (one good solid coat) and then (2) cans of Chassis Black for 2 solid coats about 24 hours apart.  I used a vented spray room that was heated to 75% and it worked exactly as billed.
1976 CB550 K
2003 Kawasaki ZX12r
1995 Ducati 916 SPS
1995 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2000 Ducati 900i.e.

Offline jamesb

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 05:08:42 am »

The implement paint works very good for frames and various parts. But it does take awhile to cure tractor supply sells some that is nearly bullet proof.
I've done a lot of things in my life that I'm not proud of...and the things I AM proud of, "are disgusting"

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 05:21:38 am »
I used PJ1 Fast Black Porcelain Hard Epoxy. I grabbed it off the shelf of a local cycle gear thinking "why not?". Honestly it looks perfect. I mainly used it to touch up some spots on the 550 frame and it blended really nice. It also seems really durable. I also used it to paint my brothers fork lowers from silver to black. Its holding up well to bugs and stones. Cyclegear has since discontinued carrying it, I may order some from amazon for my cm400a project. I really like it!
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

Offline jamesbekman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 07:42:30 am »
Im using the roll bar chassis paint.  Just do lots of light coats...  I stripped the frame down to bare metal and used phosphoric acid on the frame then actually used self etching primer for a couple coats even though the acid already did the etching but I was using it to make sure I killed off all the rust.  So far it looks great.  Its a little delicate at first but you need to give it more coats and it takes 7 days to fully cure.  Ill take some pics tomorrow hopefully...  Just go slow and make sure its prepped right.  Its not just dropping it off to a powdercoater to be blasted and painted...  You should look at it as taking as much care and time as needed as you do with all other aspects of restoring your bike and you will be happy with what you get...  The paints cheap too...  If my thoughts on the matter change Ill let you know...

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 04:03:26 pm »
Spray can paint is OK at the minimum!!! No matter what type paint  Epoxy or Enamel they thin it so much and add propellent to it that you actually DON'T get that much paint from the can... Go to a paint store and have them mix you some GLOSS black and put it in spray cans for you. It cost a little more but in the long run it will be well worth it.

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)
The paint store mixed cans are in the $22 range but they are only 4oz.. Tried to get them to mix it in the can in a larger quantity but the active ingredients are already in the can, all they add is the tinting.