Author Topic: Engine out, what to do proactively?  (Read 916 times)

Offline Dunk

• Expert
Engine out, what to do proactively?
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:32:52 pm »
I have the engine out of my 750 K1 as I had it pretty much stripped down the the frame and had a small leak I believe from the valve cover so may as well replace that gasket. Turning into a restore job I guess. Is there anything I should do to the engine while it's out of the frame and I have the valve cover off in particular? Whatever is convenient to do now, any common leaks, wear items, etc.?

I assume check cam chain and tensioner while it's out? How cna I tell it either needs to be replaced? Adjust tensioner as per shop manual and if still any slack replace chain and tensioner? Anything else? I also have a leak from the neutral switch and ordered frmo partszilla but they cancelled as they did not have the part. Any source for this? I have another bike I could pull it fmr but would prefer new since I'm going over the whole bike. Anything else to check or replace that best to do while the engine is out?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Re: Engine out, what to do proactively?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:29:23 pm »
It's real easy to check the valve clearance. Any oil leak other than the valve cover? How about the rubber nickels under the cam towers? Clean the cooling fins through the middle of the motor.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 04:28:57 am »
Sky is the limit, but if she was running right, I would not dig into her on the beginning of the season.

Neutral switch can be disassembled, I seen a picture of it somewhere here.

Offline Harsh

• Expert
  • 74 CB750 and two 72 CB350's
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:50:23 am »
The leak at the neutral switch could be the o-ring.  The o-ring is available from the dealer.

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:53:31 am »
Cam chain can't be replaced without splitting the cases .... unless you use a master link style chain but seems to be generally not recommended around here.

The rubber pucks under the cam towers as well the 4 orings under there would probably be about as far as you'd want to go unless you're pulling the head off. However, if you don't have a headgasket leak then I wouldn't bother taking the head off.  Ride while the weather is nice!

IW