Author Topic: No power, no lights, no nothing  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Lost and Confused

• Bob
  • Enthusiast
  • An old fart !!
No power, no lights, no nothing
« on: May 02, 2013, 06:39:19 pm »
I have a similar problem as a lot of our rebuilders. 1974 cb750k with new harness, new battery (13.3 volts measured ). I have a small meter. Just about everything has been replaced except starter solenoid, and ignition switch ( not OEM ). Regulator and rectifier are Oregon parts. Checked fuses four times. Running Pamco ignition, and used switched power off of regulator. When ignition turned to run I get nothing. I did a search on our forum, but did not find a good step by step post. My gut feeling is the switch.

So any help would be great. I'm not very good with electrics, although had no problems with putting in new harness. I did double check the wiring connections very thoroughly.

Bob

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert
Re: No power, no lights, no nothing
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:52:24 pm »
Any lights? Maybe ignition switch itself?  Check with your meter.
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:19:04 pm »
open your headlight bucket, take off your tank. Turn your switch on, then start wiggling every connection, one by one.  Watch for a flicker of lights. You'll find it.
Check your fuses. Check the fuse box for melted connectors or frayed and corroded wires.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:23:54 pm »
Check that the red wire coming off the back of the ignition switch is still soldered to it or is connected to the wiring harness. Cliff.

Offline aperry

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 11:09:40 am »
There are a lot of possibilities here.  When I installed the harness on my 750, I remember having trouble getting things to work until I noticed a medium sized green wire (with a round terminal) under my seat.  When I properly grounded that wire to the frame, everything started working.  I've noticed that particular wire has been mentioned occasionally around here and it seems like it's commonly missed.  The wiring diagram was incredibly valuable too.
CB750K3 with F1 frame/swingarm

Offline Reganator

• Enthusiast
  • Just another guy with a CB750 kinda cafe.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 11:15:26 am »
Maybe this will help:

http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/WiringDiagrams/MCwiring.php

That guy makes this interactive wiring diagram, if you have a simple continuity light should be easy to take a look at individual components and trace down where the issue is.  I'd select your model and start with that ignition switch.  Since the model is interactive it kinda lets you strip out complexity and focus on things as they move down the chain if you sit there and look at it for a minute.
Frankenbike CB750: 
71 K1 Frame
72 K2 Engine
75 F0 Carbs:
     #40 slow jets
     #105 Main Jets
     Stock needle and settings.
My-neighbors-love-me-Kerker 4 into 1
Stock airbox

The best way to make a small fortune on the stock market is to start out with a large fortune.  Trust me, I'm an actuary.

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 12:17:03 pm »
How are you getting 13.3v out of the battery? A 100% battery should be 12.8v ... you may have measured it right after you charged it though which would give an overly high reading.

I had an issue with a brand new fuse box ... the main circuit power wire solder had broken and was not making a connection.

Get a wiring diagram and start at the battery positive and trace the power through the harness. Find out where it stops. Also check your grounds as has been mentioned. The green wire with the ring terminal that was mentioned is the main harness ground... it is essential. Make sure your grounds aren't covered with paint or corroded etc.

IW

Offline Lost and Confused

• Bob
  • Enthusiast
  • An old fart !!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 03:47:50 pm »
Here's an update. I took my dremel tool and sanded where the negative cable goes. No change. The gas tank is off and the headlight is out. So I'm sitting looking at the starter solenoid and the short red wire from the harness is connected to the same stud as the starter. I take the red wire and put it on the stud with the positive battery cable and bang , everything works. Just one small wire. What a relief. Thanks for all the help guys.

Bob

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 10:38:41 pm »
Ah, I knew it had to be a red wire!  ;D  Good find! Cliff.

Offline snowfighter2

• I really like Motorcycles, I guess that makes me an
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 10:53:00 pm »
Damn those red wires!
Andrew
That which does not kill you, will give you some awesome scabs, which turn into some cool scars!
1975 CB750K5
1985 GS 450E
1981 CB650 Custom