Author Topic: 76 CB550F Project  (Read 8065 times)

Offline bmoren

76 CB550F Project
« on: May 08, 2013, 08:50:07 pm »
I picked up this bike a few weeks ago, It had been dropped in a parking lot with a bit of work needed. Its my first bike, and I'm Having alot of fun working on it.

Here is what Ive done so far:
Re-Squared up the front wheel
Loosened chain to proper tension
New bars
put the tach back on
new throttle cables, throttle tube and grips
front brake line banjo brake light sensor

Things that are upcoming:
Rebuild of master cylinder
Possible replace of front brake line depending on the rebuild of the MC
Add Horn
New Starter Solenoid
New Turn Signal Flasher
De-Rust Tank
Many Cosmetic things including new seat, tank paint, and side cover paint
new tank emblems

The bike needs a bunch of general electrical work, as I was given it in a electrical taped rats nest mess. Hopefully getting to it more this weekend! I will keep this post updated as I go along.

The 550 as I received it:

Front end as I received it:

New Throttle cables and tube / grip:

Tach Back on:

SS brake Line straight into caliper:

The Ratsnest....

Searching for parts:

Offline icecoast

Re: 76 CB550F Project
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 07:16:35 am »
Nice key chain.

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 07:32:09 am »
Looks like a good start to a project.

Have you considered a completely new wiring harness? Not sure if they are easily available for your bike or not but worth a check. It will a lot of work to rehab something like that.

Sweet bike graveyard btw!  :o

IW

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 07:49:57 am »
I have a 77F that was in boxes.  Some things I had that are easily replaced that failed.  Ignition switch( this failed on both my sohc's).  Gas line , brake lines, Cables throttle and clutch cable.  Always use two throttle cables for safety.  Right hand switch crumbled apart. Oil leaks tappet orings and tachometer seal if its a front leak.  Manifests itself as oil on top cooling fin.  Had to mangle the oil filter bolt to free it.  Buy one in advance they are cheap.  starter solenoid.  Chain and sprocket.  Chain was so stiff it would stand up. Alwaya replace chain and sprocket togather.  When you pull the brakes apart check the caliper piston for pitting .  Mine was a rusted mess.  I have an almost new stainless one youcan have for $10.  I am in the polishing stage now and I show my bike locally.  I have had it 4 years.
 I have some other parts let me know what you need.

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:56:22 am »
Nice start of a bike. I sure wish I had that bone yard in my city.

Offline bmoren

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 01:40:21 pm »
Updates 5/13:

Heres what I had time to get to this weekend:

Got the new turn signal flasher in and seems to clear up some issues. the PO had wired up a bunch of stuff wrong and most of it is sorted now I think.... PO wired the front turn signals into the front brake light sensor!? so I fixed that with a new banjo bolt with sensor built in....  PO also got the running lights on the Ignition confused so fixed that and now my running lights are working!

I rebuilt the master cylinder which proved to be a little tricky. Had to run to northern tool to get a few snap ring tools to get the ting apart. turns out it was pretty rusty so Im glad I got to it. I do recommend a pair of small hands if your going to re-build it, it helps to get all of the gaskets in place. Put in a new SS line with plastic casing that is free flowing and not crimped with a new 90ยบ banjo connector.

I had a little mishap with some brake fluid that I stupidly put into a pop can for temporary storage, and got a mouthful after getting it confused with my open beverage. So stupid. REMEMBER FOLKS! LABEL YOUR CONTAINERS! one call to poison control later and I'll be fine....

Im getting ready to get this thing on the road and starting on some of the cosmetic stuff. Here is some inspiration for the tank:
I think Im going to go dark silver fleck green with hand lettering for the HONDA logos on the tanks sides.

Small Hands Help:

MC rebuild:

Old MC internal parts:

Snap Ring Pliers are the best:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:55:11 pm by bmoren »

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:27:19 pm »
Subscribed! I have a rear fender from my 550f that I sold. If interested pm me. Yours free, just pay shipping
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Gman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 12:04:39 am »
Bmoren,
Welcome to the forum from another Cities guy.  I'm in SW Mpls (actually, I'm in Zurich at the moment, but will be back home in July).  As you probaby figured out, there's a ton of info available on pretty much everything imaginable here.  Check the FAQs/do a search first, and you'll find 99% of what you need if you run into issues.   And, if that doesn't work, the experts are amazing and generous with their knowledge.

There are some other good guys from the forum in the area, so we should get together sometime this summer!  Until then, good luck with your project - it looks like you've got a good start on it.

Cheers,
G
'76 CB550K
Stock airbox, MotoGPWerks 4-1, HondaMan ignition, Lesters

Offline bmoren

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 10:07:33 am »
Worked on the bike a bunch over the last 2 days and got what I thought, all the electrical worked out.... All turn signals running, the starter still seems wierd, but I can kick it over no problem for the time being until I have more time to get that whole thing sorted. I got the wires all taped up and pulled into the headlight.

Ok, so here is the strange part. I took it our for a quick spin up the road, and when I went to signal to turn into the gas station..... nothing.... all of the signals stopped working. so I brought it back killed it and looked at the bike quizzically for about 15 minutes before noticing a clicking noise that was coming from the battery. I took out my voltage meter an my battery wasreading 5 volts, a staggering drop form the 13.1 read earlier in the day (this is a new battery less than a month old). So Im stumped, maybe there is  a short somewhere? I really have no Idea. Another thought to the issue with the starter system is that I dont know if on a 76 if the headlight is suposed to get turned off when the starter engages, but mine is definitely not doing that. maybe an issue with the aftermarket headlight and signals....

The brakes were a little squishy too, so I did the technique where you tape/ziptie the brake lever in overnight, so hopefully that helps. Im going to work on the bike later today, so any insights into that electrical would be super helpful.

anyway here are pics of my progress...

Turn Signals Working

Pulled into the headlight:

Clean Wires:

Light on:

Signal Switch on:

Just before Riding down the street and electrics went crazy:

Offline bmoren

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 05:35:04 pm »
Ok so I just started it up and it seems fine, signals working, everything good, so strange..... maybe a fluke?

Brakes still seem mushy in the front, any tips there? should I just bite the bullet and get a vacuum pumper?

The clutch seems wierd, and the Idle seems a bit off too, maybe a carb issue but the PO said that they were recently cleaned... not sure I want to get into that right now. does anyone have refrence of how high the clutch lever should raise when I pull the lever?

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 06:00:58 pm »
Just open the bleeder and pump. Helps when you have a friend. You can also tip the bike to the side, open the mc and pump lightly that way to bleed. You can see air bubbles come up.

have you download a manual yet from the site? Its free!

Offline bmoren

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 11:09:14 am »
yeah, pumped till there were none of the tiny bubbles coming up, Im thinking its the brake pads, maybe they got some fluid on them and they are shot... its the only thing keeping me off the road at this point, so any suggestions beyond bleeding and the pads are welcome. I was thinking about getting a vacuum bleeder anyway  just to be sure that its all done proper.

I think I got the clutch thing figured out? if I go from Neutral to 1st with the cluth in there is no resistance. If I first pop it into 1st gear it stays still while rocking, no movement, then pull in the clutch and it will roll, but with some resistance. is this normal?

my question is which is not in the manual, it just says, adjust until it is correct.... what is correct should it feel the same when I pull the clutch in as it does when its in neutral?

I got the manual from here and ordered the clymer one yesterday too

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:48:18 am by bmoren »

Offline xsmooth69x

• Master
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 07:54:22 am »
welcome to the club and ur super close to me so we can combine forces and get everything working!!!

first thing with your brake..... get a speedbleeder and the speedbleeder IV bag to catch the brake fluid. also i had a similar issue with my whole brake system.

where is your hard line that goes to the caliper? i would highly recommend either pulling one form sportwheels or buying a new one. there is probably some crazy reason someone on the forums knows why the honda engineers decided to engineer a hard line into the caliper and not put the brake line straight into the brake caliper for some reason so i would recommend putting it back in. with the hard line it properly routes the brake line so if it decides to shift around it wont get caught in your tire or rim. your line is literally hanging/floating/flopping around :0

you might have to take apart you MC again. i had to seriously soak the MC in some gas and seafoam over night then take an assortment of carb cleaner wires. i notice that the really little hole in the MC was clogged. i also shot 2 cans of carb spray through it and compressed air to get everything out. also take a look at the actual MC cylinder if there is any heavy pitting on the inside. i notice that the MC piston thing you pulled out was pretty heavily caked with rust. how did the actual cylinder look?

i also run a SS line and a banjo switch for the brake like so we have the same setup.

also did you take apart your caliper? how is the piston and cylinder? how are the seals? its easy and cheap to rebuild the brake caliper so i would take it apart and put a new seal in it just in case. i mean when was the last time that was done? it wouldnt be very fun if that blows out ;D

---------

adjusting the clutch is also very not fun. there are 3 points you have to adjust. First i usually start with the handle. i screw the adjuster all the way in and then back it out maybe a quarter of the way out. then a the clutch lever thing on the clutch case i back that screw all the way out until the line is tight. then i adjust the nut and screw on the bottom of the case rocking the bike back and forth and seeing when the clutch engages and disengages. its alot of fiddling and there is probably a better way of doing this and anyone correct me if im wrong im no expert.

--------

electrical wise i would ditch the stock fuse block. get a waterproof fuse block with automotive blade fuses. go through the wires methodically and get alot of electro contact spray and some fine sand paper. i went through all my connections cleaned them off with the sand paper to remove any corrosion or jumk and a good spritz of electro contract cleaner. then i take some dielectric grease grease and put the connector back on.

also go through the controls and blast it with electro contact spray or take it all apart like i did and really clean up the connections especially around the buttons and dab everything with the dielectric grease. its weird that there isnt any gasket or anything for the controls so the grease i feel is important to keep the moisture out.

i would also make sure the bike is properly grounded. there should be 2 grounds in the headlight bucket itself. the wires are green and they are actually connected to the bolt that holds the headlight bucket on the ears i dont see them in the pic. i would look at the main ground and even take down the paint so that the ground is straight on the frame. also clean the ground connector ends. this bike has a weak charging system and electrical stuff in general. i actually took the time to convert everything to LED and threw in a 35w HID kit to take the load off the alternator charging thing.

also i would check if your getting the proper charge. i read that the alternator thing dosnt really start charging until the bike is at a certain RPM. so if you just sputtering around the neighborhood then you might be draining the battery.

make sure your charging your battery on the lowest setting on your trickle charger also. maybe even remove the battery and tip it side to side to make sure you get the majority of those air bubbles out.

----------

also change out your chain. the bike can only use a standard heavy duty chain. it looks like your using an o ring or x ring or whatever chains they use on modern bikes. you can only use a standard heavy duty chain because the o ring chains are much wider and your chain is actually cutting into the side of you engine case by the front sprocket. take off your shifter and side cover and you will notice it.

-----------

in regards to your carbs possibly being off sync ummm i have some sync gauges we can check that out with. about your pod filters.... i personally havent had any experience with them..... i feel like its kind of an xbox vs ps3 or microsoft vs apple. some people love them some people hate them. i never went the pod way because i just didnt need any more variables or stuff to fiddle with when building by bike for the first time.

ive read stories about how the bike will never be perfectly in sych because the stock bread box isnt used to stabilize the turbulence of the air when it gets sucked into the motor or you have to re jet or just a bunch of stuff. i think after 75 the bikes use a different tuned or style of carb to run the bikes more lean because of the EPA stuff. i know my 75 runs rich but after that year the bikes run a little more lean. so maybe your uni pod filters are messing with your sync. or there just straight up not synced right.

------------------

also another awesome thing about these bikes is that i highly recommend using pure premium without any ethonal blended into the gas.

http://pure-gas.org/

with the gas prices as expensive as it is 4.30 around my house the pure premium is extra uber expensive but it will help your bike out. so with the extra dollar a gallon for the pure premium with that fact that these bikes dont get stellar gas millage to begin with (or mine anyways or im trying to compare it to modern bikes) dont think your saving money lol.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:04:06 am by xsmooth69x »
1975 CB550 (FINISHED?!?!?)
first motorcycle ever!!! ow and i dont know how to ride it either :D

raw rust rice venti quad shot cafe racing latte project aka my build..... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88853.0

black and white equation godzilla chalkboard 
1972 cb750 - next in line for some <3

Offline jtran000

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 11:21:15 am »
definitely following thread...great find/work sofar!

Offline bmoren

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 09:02:57 pm »
Got a few things happening this afternoon:

Pulled apart the front caliper to see what was going on, it was really gross. so here is my question, Am I going to still be able to use this thing? what is the best wat to clean it up better? I sprayed some brake parts cleaning fluid in there and wiped it down for a while, the piston still seems pretty OK, but the part where the pads go has done some rusting out...

fyi, Its way easy to take out the piston by just leaving the line attached once the caliper is off and pumping the lever to push the piston out, you will never be able to get it by hand. some useful things here use the search for piston removal using the MC

I have ne brake pads, but I want to replace the gasket in there before proceeding, so Ive got to track one of those down! bike bandit has them, but Im going to call the local shops in the AM, seems a shame to have to order just one dumb gasket.

I also got a horn on there, I know its silly, but safety is nice, and I can always strip it later, I just had the electrics ready to do so I figured what the hell, I have the part might as well put it on for now.

The Brake Pad:

Back of the pad:

Brake Pad Removed:

Cleaned up a bit:

Piston:

All of the parts:

New horn:

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 07:19:31 am »
Got a few things happening this afternoon:

Pulled apart the front caliper to see what was going on, it was really gross. so here is my question, Am I going to still be able to use this thing? what is the best wat to clean it up better? I sprayed some brake parts cleaning fluid in there and wiped it down for a while, the piston still seems pretty OK, but the part where the pads go has done some rusting out...

fyi, Its way easy to take out the piston by just leaving the line attached once the caliper is off and pumping the lever to push the piston out, you will never be able to get it by hand. some useful things here use the search for piston removal using the MC

I have ne brake pads, but I want to replace the gasket in there before proceeding, so Ive got to track one of those down! bike bandit has them, but Im going to call the local shops in the AM, seems a shame to have to order just one dumb gasket.

I also got a horn on there, I know its silly, but safety is nice, and I can always strip it later, I just had the electrics ready to do so I figured what the hell, I have the part might as well put it on for now.

The Brake Pad:

Back of the pad:

Brake Pad Removed:

Cleaned up a bit:

Piston:

All of the parts:

New horn:

I am a newbie here as well and don't know a whole lot about these bikes yet but I would definitely ask one of the seasoned guys here their opinion on the caliper and piston. I would hate to see those brakes mess up when you need them most.

Offline bmoren

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 05:29:10 pm »
Got the front brakes happening, and took the bike up to the city on a decently long drive, have about 50 miles on it now.....

I was riding the other night and the headlight started flickering and then the bike shut off... bummer... stranded, I took the covers off and low and behold blown fuse, not sure if its a short or if the fuse box is just bad. Im heading out of the country for a month, but when I return will order a blade style fuse box and replace that old crap.

here is some pics of the fully cleaned up front brake caliper (what a wonder a little steel wool does), the fuse that blew, and a pic of the bike as it rolls now!

it runs!

blown fuse:

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 07:25:56 am »
Seems pretty likely you have a short somewhere.

However, it's great to see the bike is running.

IW

Offline bmoren

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 08:31:47 pm »
Back!

So I have done a few things to get the bike back up to par, and it all seems to be ok, Found a short under the seat on the wire going to the tail light and got that thing taped over.... so all good there...

First things first, I got a new style fuse box from - http://www.sohc4shop.com - Its great, went right on with a little effort and seems to be working a charm, love that I can store a few extras in there too (hell it even came with the extras!)

After that I decided to Pull the tank and do a de-rust using the toilet bowl cleaner method floating around on here, not the best, but its ok for now until I can get a better tank, or until I have real time to clean it out. this should at least get the chunks out of there.... My method was: shake a hand full of screws > rinse out the loose rust with h2o > The works toilet cleaner > Rinse h20 > neutralize with h2o + baking soda > Rinse > Rinse > Mystery Oil to stop flash rust

Before:

After:

Toxic Green Sludge! (aka the works after cleaning)

While Cleaning I also found what was making so much noise in my tank, BB's..... Any one have any Idea why these would be in the tank?

So before I figured out the electrical I wanted to check the carbs so I pulled them, Did a bench sync (hopefully a full vac soon). and the bike seems to be running better now that the electrics are happier.

Bowls:

bottom line, long term plan, Re do all electrics this winter.

Offline bmoren

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 02:24:18 pm »
ugh, went to fire it up today, after being out of town for a week, and no luck.... just sad sad boged down engine.... now what...

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 05:44:18 pm »
Somewhat probably attempted to clean the tank prior and did not remove the BB's.... Some stick nutz and bolts inside and swash it around... Bolts and nutz help free up corrosion on the tank surface

Offline KennyRedman

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB550F, Indiana
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 08:51:25 am »
ugh, went to fire it up today, after being out of town for a week, and no luck.... just sad sad boged down engine.... now what...

How's your battery?

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 09:06:33 am »
I love that headlamp setup.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline bmoren

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 04:37:03 pm »
Battery is good, found the problem, hole in my gas line...... I think I need to rebuild the petcock too, anyone with 550's rebuilt theirs or using aftermarket ones? any recommendations on that front.

I just took it our for a little bit and its running well, def still room for improvement but running again smoothly at last......

The Hole:

New temporary lines:

Clearly the tank still has loads of rust in it, I think it will become a good winter project. A buddy knows a chromer that has a rust removal dip, maybe bring it there....

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 04:43:33 pm »
Save the cash. Buy 5 gallons of vinegar and let sit a few days... pressure wash the inside... drain the rust... 1 cup of baking soda and water back in the tank... fill all the way up... let soak 20 min.... rinse again with pressure washer.... fill with gas right away to prevent flash rust...

Your petcock doesn't look stock...