Author Topic: Removing Gas Tank on 1976 Honda Supersport CD750F (Help?)  (Read 1571 times)

jameseasterbradfor

Removing Gas Tank on 1976 Honda Supersport CD750F (Help?)
« on: May 16, 2005, 11:01:14 pm »
Hi. I have a few questions.

First I'm not sure how to remove the gas tank on my 1976 honda supersport CD750F. Can anyone help me out with that?

Also, the motorcycle starts when I jump start it but as soon as I stop giving it gas with the throttle it stalls. It won't start when I push the electric starter even though the battery is fully charged, and it was suggested that it is a faulty relay switch. Where would I locate the relay switch and what should I do? Does it need to be replaced or...?

Help! Very Happy

Thanks,
J

rob

Re: Removing Gas Tank on 1976 Honda Supersport CD750F (Help?)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 11:21:50 pm »
I dont know about the tank, or the relay, but that stalling problem sounds like you need to adjust your idle screw so that it idles faster.

Rob

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Removing Gas Tank on 1976 Honda Supersport CD750F (Help?)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 11:50:26 pm »
Turn the gas petcock off. Disconnect the hoses. Flip open the seat and you'll see the rear tang of the tank resting in a rubber fitting.  The fitting should have a rubber tab on it for you to grab and pull back while lifting the rear of the tank.  Once free of the rubber fitting the whole tank gets moved back a couple inches, then up on off.

The starter issue could be the switch on the handlebar.  If brake fluid from a leaky master go into it, the plastic of the internal switch housing disintegrates.  This can make the headlight fail to operate also as this circuit is interrupted during starting.  Or, the solenoid under the left side cover could be faulty, or, the wires to it aren't happilly connected, or the neutral and clutch switches or their wiring is faulty or...  You're going to need a wire diagram to chase the problem.  You can also direct wire 12 volts across the two small post terminals of the solenoid to see if it clicks and engages the starter. Be sure it's in neutral first.

One possible reason for it to not run at idle is clogged slow jets in the carbs.  Has the bike been sitting?  Is the inside of the fuel tank and the fuel clean and free of contamination?
Are you using the choke to start it?  Will it idle after it warms up?
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.