Author Topic: Headline: Hondaman rebuilds his old friend - FOUND GOOD OIL!  (Read 114318 times)

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: Headline: Hondaman gives in and rebuilds his old friend!
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2013, 11:28:32 pm »
Ofreen has over 140k on his bike! Way cool!

Thanks. It'll be over 143K after the two legs of the relay over the next couple of weekends.  I'll be interested to see what you find for elongation of the cam chain and condition of the various plastic and rubber tensioner bits. 

Welcome to the thread, you King of the Road, you! :D

The tensioner is down to the metal on the slipper, at the top. The chain is shiny on the edges of the side plates where they were getting too friendly! The roller looks like it went 250 miles at Daytona 1970. I'll get pix of that later. It only made rattly noises above 7500 RPM, though, and had no trouble leaping to that sort of RPM any time. I've held it below 8000 for the last few years, mostly out of respect...

The tips of the valves are showing serious chipping wear, not surprising. Pix below. If they will clean up with a regrind I might just try to reuse them, provided their stem clearance isn't too much? This would let the rockers all find new leverage points, which might mean they could be re-used, too. We'll see...

I'll sandblast the valve springs if they show no edge wear on their tops or bottoms (Henry Ford's famous longevity invention: metal bead-blasting of valve springs made them what they are today, with nearly infinite life). If they are still full height and full tension, I'll put them back in, just 'cuz. Will find that out later this week.

See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 11:39:40 pm »
Here's some of the "Old Factory" features found in my engine. It is the 530th K2 built for US export, still sporting K1 Old Factory engines. The K0-K1 old-style Oil Jets and "sandy" casting on the rear of the head fins show witness of their older manufacturing equipment used on this engine. Note also the notch in the top fin of the sandy casting picture: a lot of the engines were released with little defects like these being ignored, for the sake of the rush to build them in those heady days.

You can see some of my 1973 port work, as much as was allowed in 1973 Production Racing Rules days in the circuit I ran: I was allowed to match the ports, but had to leave it unpolished. There's a little work around the valve guides and the upper edges of the valves seats, too (not visible here). All of it was left as-cut with a grinding tool, to meet the official's rules of the day. I think I'll smooth them out a little, now?

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 02:37:04 am »
This will be an interesting build.  Just one thing though, I have always been taught to not polish the intakes, leave them how a die grinder does.  If you polish, it increases the amount of fuel that sheets out on the walls of the ports.  On the other hand polish the exhausts all you want.  Of course correct me if I'm wrong ;D.
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 04:57:47 am »
Also on the slate: will attempt to make some bronze fork sliders for the front forks, as mine are quite loose now. This chassis has the early-style forks, so these are a wear part and can be replaced, just can't be obtained now?

I have early forks siting in my storage - K0 actually, they should be pretty low mileage, let me know if you want them or just some parts.  My K0 now sports late forks and dual disc and I know I am not going back.

Offline Garystratos201

• I have never been a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 06:20:24 am »
Looks like I`m late for the party but will definatly stay till its over........Gary
Visit my build project;
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=111620.0

Current ride; Bass boat.... 2005 Ranger 521VX,250 hp Mercury Verado, super charged and direct fuel injected. Not a bass on the lake can out run me !!!

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 06:32:39 am »
Me too.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline markb

• When I finish my current project I might be a
  • Master
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 02:36:40 pm »
Sign me up too.  :D
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Offline wowbagger

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 03:20:59 pm »
subscribed as well

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 06:32:23 pm »
Also on the slate: will attempt to make some bronze fork sliders for the front forks, as mine are quite loose now. This chassis has the early-style forks, so these are a wear part and can be replaced, just can't be obtained now?

I have early forks siting in my storage - K0 actually, they should be pretty low mileage, let me know if you want them or just some parts.  My K0 now sports late forks and dual disc and I know I am not going back.

Thanks for the offer! I have a K0 I am piecing together, and those forks are real rough. I might take you up on it for those?

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 06:37:52 pm »
This will be an interesting build.  Just one thing though, I have always been taught to not polish the intakes, leave them how a die grinder does.  If you polish, it increases the amount of fuel that sheets out on the walls of the ports.  On the other hand polish the exhausts all you want.  Of course correct me if I'm wrong ;D.

You're correct about that: my term "polish" really means to just smooth down the ridges left by the grinder bit. I don't go for that mirror finish, that's for show! It doesn't work right, either, as proven by S&S on Harleys in the 1970s. If you could see the surface of this port work in person, you'd think it was half-finished, but in the hectic days of the K1/K2, Honda put out some real gnarly heads. Mine was one of them, looking like no one even removed the flash. The performance change at the time was dramatic: the top end went from 126 to 132 MPH for nothing more than the port matching and re-timing the cam by slotting the sprocket. I never did vacuum balance the carbs afterward, and today you can see the #4 exhaust valve is white, indicating it is leaner than the others and has been for a LONG time.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 02:20:45 am »

Thanks for the offer! I have a K0 I am piecing together, and those forks are real rough. I might take you up on it for those?

OK, let me know.

Offline gonzobrian

• Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 04:57:57 am »
Here's some of the "Old Factory" features found in my engine. It is the 530th K2 built for US export, still sporting K1 Old Factory engines. The K0-K1 old-style Oil Jets and "sandy" casting on the rear of the head fins show witness of their older manufacturing equipment used on this engine. Note also the notch in the top fin of the sandy casting picture: a lot of the engines were released with little defects like these being ignored, for the sake of the rush to build them in those heady days.

You can see some of my 1973 port work, as much as was allowed in 1973 Production Racing Rules days in the circuit I ran: I was allowed to match the ports, but had to leave it unpolished. There's a little work around the valve guides and the upper edges of the valves seats, too (not visible here). All of it was left as-cut with a grinding tool, to meet the official's rules of the day. I think I'll smooth them out a little, now?

Hey your thumb looks better.   I'm use to seeing the bruised version.  :-)

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 05:14:13 am »
Marked.

Offline john campling

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 10:47:28 am »
Watching with interest
Seeley CB750 1976
BSA A10 Cafe
BSA A10 Plunger
BSA Super Rocket Street Scrambler
Yamaha SRX4
RE 250 cafe
Honda CB-1 400 '89
Yamaha TY175
Triumph T90 '68
Yamaha Fazer 600 '99

Offline SF

• Hot Shot
  • I burn gas very well
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 11:03:04 am »
I'm in!
92 wr250 sold
98 zx6r sold
04 zx10r
73 cb350 twin
75 cb550f
75 cb550f
72 r5c
rgid springer bobber project

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 12:21:11 pm »

Hey your thumb looks better.   I'm use to seeing the bruised version.  :-)
Oh, yeah, forgot about that! Preserved forever in full color... :)

Offline Doelos

• Just starting...
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 05:28:19 am »
Subscribed!

Offline 77cb750f2

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2013, 01:38:55 pm »
yup, another newbie here...  seems like a good place to pickup some knowledge   :)

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2013, 02:18:28 pm »
Good to see you finally taking it apart lol
Stranger in a strange land

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 12:00:22 am »

It feels a little like I'm sacrificing my son on the altar...

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2013, 05:59:19 am »
It's Christmas in June!  I will be watching this build closely. 

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2013, 02:20:16 pm »

It feels a little like I'm sacrificing my son on the altar...

Always knew you were father Abraham! Lol
Stranger in a strange land

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2013, 11:21:51 pm »
Engine cosmetics today: in 1972 I had a famous wreck that broke the lower 2 fins off the right side of the engine. I go them heliarced back on and crudely filed them down, and hit the road. In 1973 during a trip thru Colorado we got clipped by a car while in a muddy construction lane during a thunderstorm and went down, breaking those same 2 fins back off and 1 more above. I had them "fixed up" in 1980 when I had the engine apart, but didn't do a nice job of it. In 2011 an incredible hailstorm here broke off the next fin up, so I took the pieces to my welder here and he drew them back together. Time to do it right...it took 2 files (now worn out), 3 hours, and 1/2 gallon of iced tea today, but they look real nice in person. I'll either bead-blast of soda blast them next, sand them smooth to match. Since there hasn't been any paint on this engine since 1973 (when I removed the black paint that I tried for a while, made it too hot), I might leave it with the 'sandcast look' if the finish comes out well.

Offline Nikon1975

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2013, 12:58:48 am »
I read your notes about the wearing off of the rocker arms, something I never though about. But I am not sure how to distinguish a good from a bad one. If you have the possibility, would you post some pictures of that?

Thanks,

Davide

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2013, 01:03:24 am »
Looks good Mark. So no paint at all on the top end?