Author Topic: Early vs. Late cam towers with big cams  (Read 1076 times)

Offline andrewk

• doin' it.
  • Hot Shot
Early vs. Late cam towers with big cams
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:54:15 am »
Hi all-

Hope this is high performance enough.  8)

I had some top end oiling issues on an 849 that I built.  Using a Webcam 41A, so not the biggest stick.

Anyway, it wiped out the towers and the cam, so I bought some replacement parts on Ebay.  Not really paying attention, I bought a set of early towers and rockers- the ones that aren't pinned into place.

My question is- is there any detriment (or advantage) to these over the later pieces with the small bolts?

I've got the HondaMan book, and he talks about why they did it, etc, but I didn't see much about what I'm asking.  I'm really trying to avoid having the problem again- plus I don't want to destroy good parts.

Maybe as an aside- what's a set of early towers and rockers worth?  I got a screaming deal on these...

Thanks!
Andrew

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
Re: Early vs. Late cam towers with big cams
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 03:44:37 am »
The floating shafts provide a tad less friction loss in the top end, However, without them bolted in, if the shaft breaks in the center, they can walk out and cause a disaster.  The 41a cam is a very mild upgrade from stock so i dont think you'd ever break the shaft if it's in good shape.  mic your rocker shaft bores and the shaft itself to make sure it's in spec and wont develop a lot of flex.  You should be fine running the early setup considering there are many similar engines out there with a lot of miles on them and no problems.  The additional oiling holes that Mark recommends seem like a good idea to me. 

If you go to a radical cam later, it might be a good idea to bolt them down or block the ends in the event they decide to split and walk out on each other.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
Re: Early vs. Late cam towers with big cams
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:38:55 am »
+1 ;D.Have at least half dozen matched sets anyone in need,Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.