Author Topic: Ural  (Read 4911 times)

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
Ural
« on: June 06, 2013, 05:28:17 am »
Anyone run a Ural? My eldest wants one I think she's crackers but I'll go along and check it out with her.
Bill the demon.

Online 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
Re: Ural
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:26:17 am »
My friend had one over in Prague. Helped him many times to fix it, veyr poor excuse of an engineering, the quality is pure russian.

It was fun to hop on for a spin in those rare moments it was actually running, his was with sidecar. 

Bottom line, they would have to pay me to get one, but if you have enough time and are patient enough, let her have it - I suppose you will be the mechanic in charge  :)

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:39:58 am »
Since they still make them and there is a reasonable sized dealer network in the US, I wouldn't be afraid to buy one.

I think they are seriously cool and would love to own a 2WD sidecar version with the Earles type fork.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Leino

• Not much of an
  • Expert
  • in drag racing since 2005
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 11:55:50 pm »
Plenty of people in Finland like these bikes for some odd reason, I've sold at least three or four GS 1100 front fork assemblies with wheel, brakes etc. etc. they call it upgrade, I call it old crap  ;D

Online 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 03:10:51 am »
I know guys in Czech Republic who ride them too - but its a fix or repair daily. The sidecar helps on snow too - but there are many more czechs who run Jawa and Velorex combo.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 03:40:49 am »
While I've heard lots of positive stuff in bike mags about the latest Urinals Bill, as has been said before, the older ones are rubbish.

In the US (and I presume Canada, but I really don't know) you can buy a good used BMW from the 1970's or 1980's for a lot less money than a new Urinal, and strap a sidehack on one and it'd be ten times better than one of those schidtboxes.

I had to laugh when I read the review on the new Urinal. The journo who wrote the article found someone who's owned a Urinal for a couple of years to write an "I own one" side-bar, and even though the owner put a positive spin on it, he admitted that it's had two major rebuilds in only two years of ownership, but was very upbeat about it, explaining how easy they are to work on, and how cheap Urinal parts are. Great, they break down a lot, but they're easy to fix.

Personally, I think your daughter needs some fatherly advice Bill, tell her to stay away from Urinals, nice girls shouldn't go anywhere near one........... ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline HotCarl73

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:47:38 pm »
i have a 1995 ural tourist. it was the last year of the 650 kickstart only. mine has been upgraded to a 2000 750 engine and electric start. it had some problems when i first got it. i stripped it to the frame and rebuilt it with a from scratch wiring harness, power arc ignition, japanese alternator, italian scooter handlebar controls, and various other "upgrades". i haven't been inside the engine or transmission yet. i painted it with krylon in the backyard during a wind storm. looks just right. the new ones are supposed to be quite a bit more reliable than the ones from just ten years ago and they have a pretty good warranty from what i understand. new ones are expensive (starts at about $12,000) for what you get, which is old technology and russian quality control. i love mine and drive it almost every day. i don't take it on the highway, because mine doesn't like going over 60 mph for too long. the new ones are supposed to be better at cruising at 65 all day. you would still need a tailwind to crack 70 mph. if you like talking to people, you will always have a crowd around it. i usually park it and get as far away from it as possible as fast as possible. your run to the corner store can take hours answering questions. people always ask what year it is and are shocked to find out it's a 1995. when i told one guy it was a '95, he said, "i didn't even know they made motorcycles in 1895!" to sum up: it's an antiquated piece of russian crap, and you should get one as soon as possible.

tons more pics here:
http://s458.photobucket.com/user/HotCarl73/slideshow/Ural
1973 Honda CB750 Flake Sunrise Orange
1974 Honda CB750 Flake Sunrise Orange (In Pieces)
1995 Ural Tourist
2005 Honda 919

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:50:36 pm »
it's an antiquated piece of russian crap

+1 ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 08:32:04 am »
Antiquated piece of crap or not, I'd still have one.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Online 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 08:34:24 am »
Better get some classic BMW.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 12:56:59 pm »
Better get some classic BMW.

+++1 The beemers run a LONG time & classic Airhead parts are readily available everywhere.  ;)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Leino

• Not much of an
  • Expert
  • in drag racing since 2005
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 01:56:02 pm »
Different strokes for different folks, I can see the fun factor in getting a Ural but old BMW... where's the joke in that?

If you don't take yourself and motorcycles too seriously, no problem in owning and riding, (not to mention fixing) a Ural.

Offline HotCarl73

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 04:03:47 pm »
when i say it's an antiquated piece of russian crap, that's meant to go into the "pro's" column.  that's what's so neat about it.  mine had some teething problems when i first got it, but it's needed nothing but oil changes and basic tune up work for about 5 years now. most of the time that i leave the house, it's on the ural. whether it's running to the store or on a 100 mile ride to the lake and back. having the sidecar is great. it always has about 25 pounds of tools in it, a couple helmets, a jacket, a bottle jack, a couple gallons of water and other various things. i don't even have to clear any of that out to take my 300 pound brother for a ride to home depot to pick up a few gallons of paint. and this is without the two luggage racks that i've removed and have hanging in the garage. on my two wheelers, i can't even find a place to stash my sunglasses other than my pocket. it's not about how fast you get there, it's about how much fun you have getting there. and the ural is just plain fun.
http://youtu.be/lla5fvwSt7c
1995 Ural Tourist
2005 Honda 919

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 04:58:28 pm »
Wow, tough crowd...
I would like to get one for camping trips with my wife.  The 2 wheel drives will go anywhere.  The older ones do have more issues.  We watched a Ural video at MMI at the end of the year and there was old world war era footage of a 15' tall pile of sprockets and the workers would just toss them in the pile as they were coming off of the line.  There was also old footage of soldiers doing donuts in a snow covered field.  Urals are just fun, plain and simple.  My dad has an '06 2wd.  No trouble that I know of since it was new.  Here's a shot of it circa 2008...

Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 06:14:39 pm »
I'm looking at a 1970's Honda C50 stepthru on EBay at the moment. It's the same model bike that I learned to ride on in 1968 when I was 8 years old.

I have no reason to want one, I'm a big fat man with a garage full of big fat powerful bikes, but there is an emotional attachment that keeps drawing me back to this little bike.

I guess emotional bonds transcend common sense, and that's probably why certain folk like certain bikes. It doesn't matter that a Urinal is a piece of poorly engineered cheap-arse Russian crap that is slower and less reliable than my Honda C50 stepthru, if you've developed that emotional bond, common sense takes a holiday.

Nothing wrong with that. The C50 has only 3 hours to go with no bids, I think I'll snipe it........... ;D   

Offline HotCarl73

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 07:43:12 pm »
i think you nailed it terry. good luck on you're C50!

i just remembered something else funny about the urals. on the sovietsteeds.com forum we have a term that we use to describe the time you have to add to each trip to allow time to answer questions. it's called "UDF" or ural delay factor. it's real and it has to be figured in to trip times.
1995 Ural Tourist
2005 Honda 919

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 08:07:51 pm »
Thanks mate, I've got a CB750 Cafe Racer, a Suzuki GS1000, a BMW K100RS SE, a GL1200 Interstate and a Triumph Rocket III, and I have the same problem, wherever I park it or buy gas etc, I have someone, or a group of someone's, who want to ask me questions about them.

I was a tad concerned when I came back from paying for my gas and my Triumph was surrounded by some 1 percenters, but it turned out that they wanted to just ask some questions about the Triumph, because a couple of them were thinking about buying one. I asked them if they could own a Triumph, being a "Harley only" club, but they explained that their constitution said they could ride American or British bikes, so that wasn't a problem.

They weren't bad blokes really, they looked pretty scary, but they were genuinely interested in my bike, and I was happy that they didn't kill me. Speaking of killing me, I just mentioned to the wife that I might buy the C50 and she threatened to cut my balls off with a blunt soup spoon, so I guess I won't be buying it. Enjoy that Urinal. ;D 

Offline HotCarl73

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 09:02:58 pm »
bummer on the c50, but i guess if YOU want to enjoy a urinal again, you better do what the wife says, or you'll be sitting down to pee.
1995 Ural Tourist
2005 Honda 919

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 09:15:27 pm »
Ha ha, I rarely do what she wants me to, but the garage is so full it's overflowing into the patio at the moment, so I'll be good. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 06:58:54 pm »
From today's Mods vs Rockers event in Chicago

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 08:49:36 pm »
Probably the closest most of us will get to owning a WWII vintage BMW.  Didn't they just reverse engineer the BMW/Zandaps they captured during the war?  Minus a few modern accoutrements it's 1941 all over again. How cool is that? ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:55:57 pm by srust58 »

Offline Gregorymoto

• SOHC Aficionado
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 08:51:24 pm »
The ones sold in the 90's are crap. The ones that are sold now are good.
Yep, i have issues with this sort of stuff.

Offline HotCarl73

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 12:25:48 am »
i think that the nazi's gave the soviets the obsolete 1930's bmw design before the war. i think the germans were getting oil from russia before the war and they got the bmw design in return. there's an ongoing debate about whether it was stolen or given. i have books that say both. it was definitely a straight copy of the bmw built to much lower standards. the russian infantry used them in ww2.

1995 Ural Tourist
2005 Honda 919

Online 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 05:16:29 am »
The russians collected factory equipment and more from all Germany, they used tanks to yank manufacturing machines from concrete pads and loaded them on the train any which way the stuff came.

Russians or Soviets have a long tradition on breaking patents and copyrights.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 04:45:44 am »
The Urinals are a copy of a much later BMW, probably the /5 series bikes of the 1970's. The Dnepr (another fine Russian motorcycle) most resembles the bikes in the pics posted by Rusty. ;D

http://encarsglobe.com/gallery/dnepr-k-750.html