Author Topic: Does anyone know if 1983 Honda CB 900F shocks will work on 70's cb frames.  (Read 1576 times)

shields102

I am building a bike from the frame (78 cb550k) up and would like to use the rear shocks off of the 83 900f.  I do know that they are 1.5 inchs longer then stock, but I can deal with that or maybe use lowering blocks.  I am greatful for any info on the subject.
Thanks for your time....this website is amazing.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
I would say YES as long as the shock is a eye to clevis you should be fine.
The "eye" is how the top of the shock mounts, as a bolt goes thru the "eye" and into the frame.
The "clevis" is like a upside U, at the bottom of the shock , And mounts to a tab on the swingarm.

If you are gonna have to run a lowering block with these shocks , I woul say jut get something designed for your bike. You can get a set of 11'' "short shocks" for around $75 from
http://HTTP://WWW.CRC2ONLINECATALOG.COM

Just some food for thought....
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
Are these shocks any good? http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
I mean, they look cool and all, but performance..?
No.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
Are these shocks any good? http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
I mean, they look cool and all, but performance..?
I have them on my CB750, and as far as I can tell they are fine.
They are def. on the harder side, but are adjustable (not that I have touched them yet).
I am sure they don't comare to a set of Progressives , but for the cash that I spent on them I am
a happy customer...
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
i also think they are about an inch longer than the stock CB750 shocks....peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline Clyde

• Hot Shot
 A friend of mine tried them and they worked fine but were a bit too long to use the stands
SOHC4 #1909
Honda CB750 K0(original and unrestored), K1(in pieces), K2(restored), F1(restored), 76 750a (awaiting restoration), 1966 Honda CB72
Suzuki GT750 1972 (restored), Kawasaki Z1 1973 (restored)

Offline DME

• Hot Shot
I am building a bike from the frame (78 cb550k) up and would like to use the rear shocks off of the 83 900f.  I do know that they are 1.5 inchs longer then stock, but I can deal with that or maybe use lowering blocks.  I am greatful for any info on the subject.
Thanks for your time....this website is amazing.

I´m running CB900F shocks on my caferacer.
Wanted to quicken up the handling by raising the rear end a little, and it works fine.
Pics in my gallery.

Cheers
Daniel

Offline tsflstb

• Expert
Got 'em on my 400F.  They were $10 on ebay so I thought what the hell.

They render the centerstand useless since they're about 1.5" longer than stock.  I was a little worried they'd make the bike unstable, but they seem to quicken the steering without making things too twitchy.

shields102

tsflstb, Those are the ones that I am after.  I realize that the external resivior is basicly cosmetic (in my eyes) at nearly 30 years old, but I love the look of them.  Two different sets recently sold on ebay but they were morer then $10 ;).  I shold mention that I really appriciate the photo!
Thanks again everyone.

Offline tsflstb

• Expert
They have a little heavier spring than stock (at least a stock 400), so they handle my 190# weight better.  They're probably not as good as even a generic new set, but they were a noticeable improvement from stock.

I liked the look of them, and just got lucky on this set.  I think the auction was slightly mis-labeled.  I couldn't believe I was the only bidder, as I'd seen them go for closer to $100 usually.  CB1100's from the era used the same shocks too.

Honda CBer

thats it, exactly... the springrate is increased... for example, i remember the difference in DOHC shocks to be 12 or 15 lbs, from 750F to 1100F... i have 1100F ones on my 750, and will be putting another set on my CB650, as soon as i get the springs cleaned up (and perhaps powdercoated  ;) )... also, the 1100F ones were a little longer (1/2" maybe?) than the 750's, which raised the rear and quickened the geometry slightly, but noticeably... i am built for comfort, so the increased spring rate (and adjustable damping) helps a lot for spirited rides, but isnt as plush for cruising the strip...

but yes, they will fit, no problem, unless you have short inseams...