Author Topic: Primary shaft bearings  (Read 732 times)

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
Primary shaft bearings
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:34:37 pm »
How do I get them back in? Is there a tool for this? The fit seems extremely tight.

Offline Rehabo

Re: Primary shaft bearings
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:36:35 pm »
Did you manage to come up with something? I spent two hours struggling with this before deciding to pack it in for the day...
'76 cb550f

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 10:16:10 am »
Well, yeah, I guess. One bearing is loose and there isn't a lot of space to swing a hammer. I think I tilted it up on its side to go downward into the hole. I think I stuck a rod with a flat end through the other hole in the case. You line it up and make sure it is as straight as you can and start lightly tapping it in. Tap around the edges, once you get it going in straight, it slides in ok, but you just have to beat on it. Just don't beat on it until you know it is straight.

The bearing that is on the shaft is easier cause you put in through the hole into the other bearing and just hammer it with the dead blow. Same thing, once it gets going straight, you just pound it on in.

Offline Rehabo

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 07:40:08 am »
Thanks for the reply. I ending up putting the case in the oven and the bearing in the freezer, then it dropped right in.
'76 cb550f