Author Topic: The joy of riding( a 250 single)  (Read 3164 times)

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
The joy of riding( a 250 single)
« on: June 18, 2013, 04:43:12 am »
My friend Peter talked me into putting a Yamaha SRX250, that I had saved from the salvage yard several years ago, on the road this week. “I am going to put my cb175 together in time to make it to bike night in July” he told me.
That was all it took for me to start envisioning the 2 of us riding little bikes 30 miles to meet with other folks from our group of friends, most of whom met because of our website nehondaguys.info, and word of mouth.

I had purchased the 250 in 2009 from an unemployed kid fresh out of grad school, who was going to let it sit and rot on the Boston streets through the winter if no one bought it. A mercy sale though it might have been, I needed a bike for my 2 kids who had still expressed interest in riding after each fell off the sv650 I had reclaimed for them.

After replacing a bent wheel, plenty of scrubbing, new tires, and progressively encouraging results from cleaning and rebuilding one of the funniest carbs ever made at least a half dozen times, I had a running bike. By that time both kids had moved to NYC, and any interest they had in riding was mitigated by my fear of either kid on a bike in a city where people drive like North Korean food shoppers competing for the only bag of rice.

The 250 sat in the back of the garage, waiting for the day each month when I started it, and with the benefit of a plate pilfered from a garagemate, took a short ride to make sure there were no encircling marauders in the neighborhood.

4 years goes by, and Peter’s call to action encouraged me to insure and register the little bugger last week. It has been raining a lot here, and it took until yesterday for me to put the plate on and take our first legal and long ride together over to get a sticker from my friends at Medfield automotive.

My brother the film-maker has terrorized me for years, asking that I don a form fitting lycra body suit and ride a bicycle in one of his films. Given my rather Hitchcockian profile, in the past I have mentally run screaming and crying from this kind offer. It did occur to me yesterday that riding the 250, even in street clothes was probably a similar spectacle, as each cc has to propel almost a pound’s worth of avoir du poids. I did not care one whit, I was having too much fun.

The joy of going 35-45 mph was amply enhanced by knowing that the tach reading( times 100) was exactly the same as my speed. After several minutes of empty headed grinning, I realized that the feeling and sound of the 250 single had conspired to make me feel exactly as I had when I “borrowed” Peter Harvey’s brand new 1970 CB100 for my first ride, enjoying the experience and feeling of freedom so much that I did not return for an hour. Peter’s near heart attack was replaced with hate and mistrust, and we were never again close friends, but after 43 years, I think the experience was worth the price. And the feeling yesterday, again after all this time, was priceless.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:03:09 am by azuredesign »

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
Re: The joy of riding( a 250 single)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 04:54:23 am »
First....you look nothing like Hitchcock in that photo.

Secondly....I know the feeling. While not a single, here's the "Quarter pounder" (as nicknamed by Dave500).

Recently gone to a new home sadly.

Stranger in a strange land

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 05:00:27 am »
Nice job! That is a good looking bike.

The attached photo is of my daughter, who thank goodness  has only a passing resemblance to me.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:04:56 am »
Nice job! That is a good looking bike.

The attached photo is of my daughter, who thank goodness  has only a passing resemblance to me.

I figured it out eventually lol.

I hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I have.

It had the engine blown up and was stolen. Got rebuilt twice and was the bike that would not die.

I have a new 250 project now.

Always admired the SRX series. They have quite the following here in Oz and are rather pricey when they come on the market.

Nice looking bike.

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:48:00 am »
Thanks Kghost. You piqued my interest, what 250 are you working on now??

Offline knowsnothing

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 12:03:49 pm »
Wahoo, let the attack of mini bikes beer night  commence!
1978 CB750k Green - 811 engine
1978 CB750k Blue - for sale
1974 CB375F Faded Black - had to have that 6th gear
1976 CB400F Red - in many pieces
1973 CB350F TBD - in many pieces

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 12:13:07 pm »
Wahoo, let the attack of mini bikes beer night  commence!

I never could've believed that the day would when my 550 is the big-boy bike. Sadly it will not be ready for said beer night and I'll be rocking the Screaming Eagle 750F.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Need a better, newer points cover gasket? How about rubber washers for the headlight bucket? Click the link below:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=122308.0

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 02:11:26 pm »
Thanks Kghost. You piqued my interest, what 250 are you working on now??

Something faster lol

A KR1

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 02:23:14 pm »
Now you're talking, that is a seriously fast 250. I also just put my RZ350 on the road, so have an idea of what you have there. I am not a complete 2 cycle convert yet, but they are a lot faster than similar sized 4 strokes I have experience with. Congrats!

Hey Treeve and Alex, looking forward to seeing you guys, bikes or crutches, it doesn't matter how one gets to
Westford!

Offline Connito

• Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 09:36:45 am »
I am looking forward to seeing you on that 250, Ben!
It would be great if I am able to finish my Cb175 on time and ride it to beer night, but if not, I will find something to get to Westford with.

A KR1! Man! That is one FAST 250 bike indeed. Good for you kghost! Got any pictures?
1971 CB750
1976 CB550F

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 03:25:47 pm »
It's slowly coming back to life.

There's a picture in the "what did you do to your bike today" thread.

Lots of parts were missing. So far the longest one came from Ireland.

Offline gene03079

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 05:55:19 am »
Sweet looking SRX..  We must get a group of little bikes out for a ride this year.

I still can not ride until my bones heal but I can drink beer left handed. I am trying to make July 10 for a cold one.
78 CB550 74 CB550  71 SL175  08 Harley Ultra
Honda CL 175 racer  1977 Honda MT125R race bike 65 CB160  69 SL350

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 06:38:00 am »
Sweet looking SRX..  We must get a group of little bikes out for a ride this year.

I still can not ride until my bones heal but I can drink beer left handed. I am trying to make July 10 for a cold one.

Hey Gene,

Thanks, a positive response from someone I know is an authority on what makes small displacement bikes go fast makes me feel good, even though my one lunger is pretty pokey by comparison!

I had heard about your crash, and hope to hear that you are making progress when I buy you a beer on the 10th.
Mike R. has also been making noises about attending, suggesting to me that we need to have more of these meetings farther north and west than has been our norm.

Looking forward to the 10th!

Offline Pecantree

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 12:25:24 pm »
Great writeup azure!!!

If your wrenching is as good as your wordsmithy, you'll have no problems.
 :)
http://www.harvestclassic.org/

"The suspect had experienced a ballistic interlude earlier in the evening" Miss Pao said, "Regrettably not filmed, and relived himself of excess velocity by means of an ablative technique."         ......    ?    ........         "She say you have road rash."

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 12:56:58 pm »
I'd like a CB250RS. Twin exhaust ports, alloy spoked wheels, light and I love the power delivery. I'd need to change all the square stuff though, lights etc..

'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 02:28:12 pm »
Great writeup azure!!!

If your wrenching is as good as your wordsmithy, you'll have no problems.
 :)

Thanks alot! Unfortunately I am a frustrated writer and mechanic. I can ride for quite some distance without falling off much, if that counts for anything.

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 02:37:30 pm »
I'd like a CB250RS. Twin exhaust ports, alloy spoked wheels, light and I love the power delivery. I'd need to change all the square stuff though, lights etc..

It seems like during the 80s there was a trend with single cylinder 4 valve 4 strokes to have separate exhaust ports and intakes for each valve. The SRXs are like that too, and I believe so was the Honda GB500. I guess it helped some, although compared to a same displacement 2 stroke, my bike is molasses on a stick. However, the sound and vibration( good vibrations, thank you Brian Wilson) conjure up what it must have felt like to ride those 350 Brit singles back in the day. Going 60 mph on these things is like going twice that speed on a bigger bike, about the same tach speed too!

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 03:08:45 pm »
My first bike was a totally butchered 250 Ducati street scrambler. Everything was wrong with that thing. It was downright ugly. I loved it anyway. It was kinda like the first Woman I had, she wasn't that good looking either, but I remember her fondly.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 03:31:46 pm »

It seems like during the 80s there was a trend with single cylinder 4 valve 4 strokes to have separate exhaust ports and intakes for each valve. The SRXs are like that too, and I believe so was the Honda GB500. I guess it helped some, although compared to a same displacement 2 stroke, my bike is molasses on a stick. However, the sound and vibration( good vibrations, thank you Brian Wilson) conjure up what it must have felt like to ride those 350 Brit singles back in the day. Going 60 mph on these things is like going twice that speed on a bigger bike, about the same tach speed too!

Yeah that seems to have come out of the dirt bike bin.

All those years of XR/XL went to the twin pipe 4 valve heads. Or maybe vise versa.......

All the Japanese manufacturers seem to have flirted with square lights in the 80's....,.hidious

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 06:59:06 pm »
Alas, the rectangular headlight was also part of the 80s package. They were also horrible in cars, especially the Jeep cj series.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:01:24 pm by azuredesign »