Author Topic: Tricks for getting tappet covers off, and how do I kill ticking?  (Read 2475 times)

50words

<1> I decided to adjust the valves this past weekend, but I couldn't get the intake valves for the 2 and 3 cylinders off, so I'm only 75% done. It does run better, but I'm hoping I can eliminate that last bit of popping if I can adjust those last two valves.

Okay, but I can't get a socket in there, so I got a 17mm closed-end wrench, but the stupid thing just stripped the gears. Does anyone else have any experience with this? I was going to try picking up a pipe wrench to get them off, or else a Vise Grip. Thoughts?

<2> The bike makes a ticking/clacking/annoying sound when it's running. It doesn't seem to speed up or slow down with the speed or rpms, and it seems to be loudest coming from the ignition cover. But nothing in there seems loose. Any ideas on what it could be? I've heard mention of the starter clutch before, but I have no idea how to get in there without pulling the whole transmission apart. I hate the ticking, it's making me mad! Please help!

Edit: After a ride while paying close attention, I noticed there are two distinct sources of the ticking. One I am fairly certain is the valves, as it sounds like it is coming from there, and does speed up with the engine speed. The other is coming from behind the ignition cover, and perhaps that is just the ignition (Dyna-S) operating properly?

So how do I stop the valves from clicking? Does this mean I need to pull the valve cover/take out the engine?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 07:29:21 pm by 50words »

Offline Harry

• Hot Shot
    • CB500F
Re: Tricks for getting tappet covers off, and how do I kill ticking?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 03:08:39 pm »
<2> The bike makes a ticking/clacking/annoying sound when it's running. It doesn't seem to speed up or slow down with the speed or rpms, and it seems to be loudest coming from the ignition cover. But nothing in there seems loose. Any ideas on what it could be? I've heard mention of the starter clutch before, but I have no idea how to get in there without pulling the whole transmission apart. I hate the ticking, it's making me mad! Please help!

Tighten your headers, I had a similar ticking due to loose exhaust headers. Almost drove me mad until Bryan Jones tipped me off!
Harry Teicher, member #3,  Denmark....no, NOT the capital of Sweden.

MetalHead550

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 03:51:22 pm »
Did you adjust the cam chain tension before doing your valves?  A loose cam chain will make some clattering noise and throw off your valve timing if you adjust it after the valves.  At least thats been my experience.  As for the tappet covers...that sucks!  Try a bit of penetrating oil then mabey use that pipe wrench on the outer edge of the tappet cover vs. the stripped 17mm head.  They are made of soft alluminum and should have come off with the wrench since they have really low torque specs.  Since they are stuck on, youll probably end up ruining them getting them off so buy a couple new ones.  If the pipe wrench doesnt work mabey you could try placing a flat screw driver angled against the 17mm bolt head in the loose direction and giving it a couple carefull blows with a hammer.  If you dont care about ruining them you could also try torqueing them down until they pop the threads.  That may sound stupid but like I said they are made of a soft alluminum and will give before the threads on the valve cover without damaging IT.  Thats a last resort though.  Make sure you dont torque the new ones too much...like I have in the past.....PoP!  Good luck!

cb750_chris

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 05:47:42 pm »
Those tapet covers are supposed to be 17mm but they are under sized.  I used some cloth sports tape around the inside of my box end wrench and got some really stubborn ones off without even maring them.  I even went and got some more from the junk yard this way to replace any that were previously marred.  A 17mm socket will also fit on the end of one of those hammer driven screw drivers.   Again use the tape. 

Lumbee

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 07:45:05 pm »
First the noise behind u'r ignition is probably the clutch...not sure what part of the clutch, but I'm pretty sure thats what u'r hearing.  Go back and listen behind the clutch plate instead of the ignition and see if its not coming from there.  I have a 78ss and mine rattles quite a bit.  From what I understand this is fairly common and not reason to worry, however I still want to take an afternoon sometime and pull the clutch apart just to see what the heack it is.  As far as adjusting the valves, those tappet covers are cheap, so just do what u gotta to get the ones u got on off so u can adjust the vavles.  If that doesn't help, a valve cleaning is in order.

Lumbee

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 07:06:05 am »
...u'r on the right track...I would start with a vavle adjustment, if that doesn't do it, u'r next step is pull the engine , get in the head and see whats go'n on.  How many miles does u'r bike have on it?  If miles are high a valve cleaning would def. be in order.  Outside of adjusting the valves I'm not sure theres much more you can do without pulling the engine...

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 07:09:24 am »
Could it be that you have those stupid lucky-charm bells on your bike?  :D

I had a metallic noise because the drive chain was loose and was hitting on the folded centerstand. Later I found that the chainguard (plastic) was bent outwards, so the chain was rubbing with the metal bracket and it was almost eaten up. While riding, press your clutch and increase the engine RPM. IF the sound speeds up, is an engine related noise. If not, it's a wheel-bearing-chassis noise. Also, things like loose fittings tend to be erratic, as it depends on the vibration frequency, so sometimes the sound is loud, then at say 3000 rpm it disappears, to appear again at 4500 etc.

Raul

Wammied

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 07:59:52 pm »
After setting tappet clearance, tightening the cam chain, and setting the dwell and timing,the next thing I'd do is balance the carbs. When you have 4 carbs and one is open a little more than the others, that cylinder gets more gas and tries to run faster than the others. This makes noise and vibration The difference when balanced is dramatic.
(A tuner trick my Ol' Man (Bless him) showed me was to try to get the lowest reading you could along with with a normal idle for max low end grunt)
As far as the "nuts and bolts rolling around in a can" sound, that's perfectly normal (it's your clutch plates rattling in the basket) and is reduced with a carb balance.
You can tell when it is idling in nuetral and you pull in the clutch, the noise lessens.
I saw a mod that was available at one time (in fact I think it was a Honda factory fix as well) in the form of an extra clutch plate if memory serves me.
Anyone else recall seeing this?
Good luck,
Mike