Author Topic: Voltmeter vs ammeter for monitoring my electricals  (Read 2686 times)

Offline ncstatecamp

• Expert
Voltmeter vs ammeter for monitoring my electricals
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:43:28 pm »
For an electrical system as old as a 72 750k which would be better to install to monitor the health of my electrical system, an ammeter or voltmeter?

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
Re: Voltmeter vs ammeter for monitoring my electricals
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:41:37 pm »
Better to have none, save money and keep the clean looks of your bike, in my opinion. It's so easy to check your system is charging or not. Just hold your hand in front of the headlight and rev a little.
Old British bikes used to have ammeters to monitor the frequent 'strikes' of Lucas. I believe you still find them on the Enfield that - not 'Royal' anymore - is built in India nowadays. Later on the automotive industry moved to voltmeters which give a better (not much) indication of the battery condition.
Warning: all extra gauges can distract riders attention, the more dangerous whilst balancing on two wheels and steering by moving your body! (Gauges mounted somewhere below on the engine are definitely a no no, imo.)
I pleaded the development of an electronic engine guard system in this forum years ago. So far nobody took the challenge to develop a little, easy to hide system that monitors temp, pressure, voltage etc.
For those interested:
forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=44306.0
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:37:41 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline ncstatecamp

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 12:29:07 am »
I have seem a Arduino set up that had all of that and was displayed on a little 3x1" LCD display. I was thinking of keeping the monitor under the seat in the tool tray or on top of the battery. Keeping the tree clean.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 12:33:56 am »
a voltmeter is better for really what you want,less intrusive to the wiring aswell,,all the bikes current less the starter has to be fed through an ammeter,i run a volt meter,i broke that bicycle speedo and never replaced it.

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 02:54:11 am »
i broke that bicycle speedo and never replaced it
Does that happen to be a Sigma?
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 03:03:29 am »
no it was like 8 bucks from kmart,i snagged its fine feed wire one day and snapped it off,too fiddly to fix so i binned it,it had lasted a couple of years though.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 04:55:48 am »
no it was like 8 bucks from kmart,i snagged its fine feed wire one day and snapped it off,too fiddly to fix so i binned it,it had lasted a couple of years though.

I can give you another.....
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 07:24:03 am »
The Sigma goes up to 300 km/h.
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline Pecantree

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 07:36:22 am »
I've been looking at this little guy.
I think it was originally brought up by someone on this forum.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-LED-Battery-Monitor-voltage-and-charge-indicator-/150479033981?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item23093fd67d
I've got to rebuild my indicator lite panel to accommodate the Goldwing front end and was thinking I'd include it.

ncstatecamp....
Do you have the ardiuno  up and running? I'd be curious about how it's working.
Post some more info.
http://www.harvestclassic.org/

"The suspect had experienced a ballistic interlude earlier in the evening" Miss Pao said, "Regrettably not filmed, and relived himself of excess velocity by means of an ablative technique."         ......    ?    ........         "She say you have road rash."

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 12:28:24 pm »
The Sparkbright monitors work well. Several of the CX500/GL500 guys use them to keep tabs on their stators as it is a weak point on the bike with the stock CDI ignition system and G47 state.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline ncstatecamp

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 02:07:53 pm »

ncstatecamp....
Do you have the ardiuno  up and running? I'd be curious about how it's working.
Post some more info.

wasnt my build but here you go, http://www.janspace.com/b2evolution/arduino.php/2010/06/26/scooterputer
could easily add to this build too http://www.pyroelectro.com/tutorials/tachometer_rpm_arduino/conclusion.html
and last but not least http://www.heatsynclabs.org/arduino-motorcycle-motoduino/

bollingball

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 02:12:21 pm »
The Sparkbright monitors work well. Several of the CX500/GL500 guys use them to keep tabs on their stators as it is a weak point on the bike with the stock CDI ignition system and G47 state.

David

I have looked at that one before and it does look good and simple. Call me old fashion but I just think a analog gauge looks better on these bikes. The more you can make it look OEM the better IMO. On a coffee racer it does not matter so much. With that said I would still install one as long as I could keep it in site but where most people would not notice it while parked.
Ken