Author Topic: wiring headlights to a toggle  (Read 531 times)

Offline 78whiteorbs

• Expert
wiring headlights to a toggle
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:08:15 pm »
have a 78 cb750 and have eliminated the key switch to a toggle and want to do the same with the headlight as it isn't working with the stock wiring configuration.
Instead of chasing this and that ( I understand the headlight interrupt on the right switch with the starter button is a common failure point) So what I want to do is run power thought a fuse directly to a on -off- on toggle making 1 on hi beam and the other on low beam.

Seams simple enough huh>? question is which fuse to wire directly from .

I have replaced the three stock fuses with ATC blade type fuses. Main is a 15 Amp and there are two other a 7Amp and a 10Amp I believe. Tail light and brake lights work but headlight doesn't but I tested it to a plack power wire and the headlight works fine I just don't want to hook it up to any random black wire to draw power from because that could cause a problem later...hope this makes since.

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
Re: wiring headlights to a toggle
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:53:57 am »
Run  a FUSED (10a) directly to the middle post of the on/off/on switch. I always wire mine in a position that LO is DOWN and HI is UP on the switch!!

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:00:59 pm »
I am with Navy on the set up. If you do it that way get a quality switch tho. I used a cheaper switch that fit well on my HL bucket and used relays so I wouldn't have to worry about load handling issues
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers

Offline 78whiteorbs

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 09:00:43 am »
I got how to wire the toggle except were the power comes from. Currently I have it wired from a available black wire junction it works fine but I don't know how it is fused and if this is a good or bad thing.  I used a 35amp toggle for the ignition and was currently have a 20 amp switch for the head lights but it was just a single throw so I only have hi beams . I was gonna shwip shwap toggle but didn't know if a 20 amp rated toggle would be sufficient for the ignition (thinking it would not). I can always buy another 35 amp. toggle I guess...