Author Topic: RE: Look what I picked up today  (Read 3685 times)

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
RE: Look what I picked up today
« on: July 09, 2013, 05:32:57 pm »
Not sure how I beat out the 12 other suitors for this bike other than the fact that I like to restore them instead of chopping them up.  Seller was going to bob it, but decide it was too nice to cut.  I was not even the first on the list!  God must have been looking out for me on this deal.  I could not be happier.  Everything is in very nice condition.  It is truly Christmas in July.

Offline Steve_K

• Expert
Re: RE: Look what I picked up today
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 05:54:04 pm »
Nice buy!  Looks very stock except the seat.  Good on you!!
Steve
Steve_K

76 CB 550, 73CB750, 86 GSX-R750, 16 Slingshot
Old rides:305 Honda, CL350, 74 CB550
 05 SV1000S, 88 CBR600,92 VFR, 88 Hawk GT, 96 Ducati 900SS, 98 Kaw ZX6R, SV650

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 05:57:07 pm »
Nice buy!  Looks very stock except the seat.  Good on you!!
Steve

Thanks!  I am totally stoked.  I even like the seat and am looking forward to giving it a test run might be more comfortable than the foam brick I sit on now.  Everything is very clean.  Wonder what kind of HP it has seller said it can pull front tire off the ground.  Will believe it when I see it.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 06:18:23 pm »
Score!   Looks good, even the seat (better than most 70's aftermarkets)

Is it a K3?   Running cond??    Congrats
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 06:25:37 pm »
Great find there chew!!! And 341's too. I hope that exhaust is as good as it looks on there. I know what you mean about sellers not wanting to see these bikes cut up. That was the case with my sunflake K4...a number of guys told the seller they were going to cut it up. I showed pics of what I do to these bikes and got mine over a number of other folks just to keep it stock.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 06:29:03 pm »
Score!   Looks good, even the seat (better than most 70's aftermarkets)

Is it a K3?   Running cond??    Congrats

Last registered in 97, but looks like the tank was drained before hand.  Very good chance it is a runner.  Will give it the customary ATF/ Acetone soak just in case there are any stuck rings.  Should fire up and go.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 06:32:38 pm »
Great find there chew!!! And 341's too. I hope that exhaust is as good as it looks on there. I know what you mean about sellers not wanting to see these bikes cut up. That was the case with my sunflake K4...a number of guys told the seller they were going to cut it up. I showed pics of what I do to these bikes and got mine over a number of other folks just to keep it stock.

Hmm how about that very similar situation happened to you as well.  I am grateful the seller was able to recognize this and not cut.  So many looking to make "creations", but don't quite pull it off.  Feels very good.

Sadly the left pipes have the traditional rot.  I do really like the orange and the faded patina is sweet!

Offline toytuff

• "watching the pinheads"
  • Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 08:09:00 pm »
Score!

Sweet....

tt

fendersrule

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14:38 pm »
Nice buy! Can I ask how much you dropped? I assume was a good deal!

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 08:20:55 pm »
Nice buy! Can I ask how much you dropped? I assume was a good deal!

You can ask, but I won't say a word.  It was once a decade type thing unless you got Greggo's luck.

Offline acollin

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 08:24:41 pm »
I hope its not rude to ask what the bike cost. I'm relatively new to the forum and don,t want to offend anyone -- but so many of us are buying and selling all kinds of sohc stuff, it helps to understand the market we all live in.

I've got all kinds of condition questions depending on cost.

Anyways-- Nice catch-- it looks great.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 08:26:01 pm »
Looks like you will need more storage! Great find!
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 08:31:48 pm »
I hope its not rude to ask what the bike cost. I'm relatively new to the forum and don,t want to offend anyone -- but so many of us are buying and selling all kinds of sohc stuff, it helps to understand the market we all live in.

No not rude at all just don't want to say anything out of respect for the seller.  I can answer any and all general questions on prices.

For starters it depends greatly on your geographic area and second on year, make and model.

For example I have heard of one guy getting two 400f s for around $1,000 and if you do research they are around 3 to 4k for anything nice that is worth having.  Varies by market.

Bikes from dry weather climate like CA fetch up to 3 times more.  If my weather changes I will be hitting the paint hard may be heading west.

Best place to buy mid west best places to sell NYC, California, Texas basically anywhere else.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 08:32:27 pm »
Looks like you will need more storage! Great find!

Yes storage is always a concern, but will be ok for now.

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 08:36:38 pm »
wow nice score man! dig that orange for sure

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 08:51:30 pm »
wow nice score man! dig that orange for sure

Yeah me too I think it's my favorite.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 09:32:48 pm »
Great score Chewy. Didn't happen to find those other rearset parts yet ...?   ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 09:59:37 pm »
Good score, too nice to hack up for sure.
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 03:03:40 am »
Not a thing wrong with that Chew. Can you give us any history on the bike? How did you find it, miles, etc. When you get a chance post some more pics.

To bad the 341's aren't in better shape :(
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 03:59:51 am »
Not a thing wrong with that Chew. Can you give us any history on the bike? How did you find it, miles, etc. When you get a chance post some more pics.

To bad the 341's aren't in better shape :(

Not too much history on the bike.  Seller is into 2 stokes and these fours are just not his thing would not even know where to begin. From what I can gather it has changed hands a few times since it was last on the road in 97.  Got a lead from Robdrob another forum member.  I emailed, called, and texted several times must have drove the seller nuts.  First thing I did was apologize for all the calls and emails.

Never did I think I even had a shot then got an email back from his wife and told her I would take it.  I am very excited.  It has some nice lowering blocks and a very mean stance.  A really good key relocation kit that has a cover for ignition so no water goes in there.  I look for these little things that says the bike was loved once.

Offline toytuff

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 04:06:23 am »

No not rude at all just don't want to say anything out of respect for the seller.  I can answer any and all general questions on prices.

For starters it depends greatly on your geographic area and second on year, make and model.

For example I have heard of one guy getting two 400f s for around $1,000 and if you do research they are around 3 to 4k for anything nice that is worth having.  Varies by market.

Bikes from dry weather climate like CA fetch up to 3 times more.  If my weather changes I will be hitting the paint hard may be heading west.

Best place to buy mid west best places to sell NYC, California, Texas basically anywhere else.

Out of control huh? I pretty much quit looking in AZ,NV (vegas) and CA. You just have to "stumble" on one out here.

tt

Offline lwahples

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 04:31:55 am »
Sweet Deal! Can almost feel your excitement.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 04:35:57 am »

Out of control huh? I pretty much quit looking in AZ,NV (vegas) and CA. You just have to "stumble" on one out here.

tt

How often do you "stumble" on one anyway?  Be interested to know.  Some people just have great luck I think.

Offline toytuff

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 04:48:21 am »
How often do you "stumble" on one anyway?  Be interested to know.  Some people just have great luck I think.

Honestly, never.

I have several "lookouts" which I pay a finders fee but only a couple of leads. One in particular is from the guy who does a monthly bug spray. He get's around town more than I ever could.

He is not motorcycle savoy but does know an elderly gentleman that has "something" in his garage that just sits. Wife says to sell it, he says "everybody" wants one.  Covered and won't let anybody even look at it. Located less than a mile from me. I have his house staked out.   :D

What do I know about it? Has two pipes, blue and chrome on the tank. Early CB77, CB450, CA77, Kawi, Yami? I have no idea. I told the bug man to snap a picture if he could but he can't get near it.Owner gets anal and he has to protect his job.

So...I wait. And wait.

Also have a line on a 79 CBX. Just waiting for the guy to sell it. He will someday. Maybe. I bought my 82 from his Father and he knows I want one. So...I wait. Again.

tt

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 05:10:11 am »

Honestly, never.

I have several "lookouts" which I pay a finders fee but only a couple of leads. One in particular is from the guy who does a monthly bug spray. He get's around town more than I ever could.

He is not motorcycle savoy but does know an elderly gentleman that has "something" in his garage that just sits. Wife says to sell it, he says "everybody" wants one.  Covered and won't let anybody even look at it. Located less than a mile from me. I have his house staked out.   :D

What do I know about it? Has two pipes, blue and chrome on the tank. Early CB77, CB450, CA77, Kawi, Yami? I have no idea. I told the bug man to snap a picture if he could but he can't get near it.Owner gets anal and he has to protect his job.

So...I wait. And wait.

Also have a line on a 79 CBX. Just waiting for the guy to sell it. He will someday. Maybe. I bought my 82 from his Father and he knows I want one. So...I wait. Again.

tt

Mostly CL, but get leads from others as well.  If you tell people your into one type of bike I think it opens things up a bit.  If you are into the smaller two cylinders I know of a very nice 71 cb450, but not sure this guy would sell either.  He tells people he likes cb350 twins and get loads of them very nice, and somehow got this cb450.

If you are just looking for those smaller displacement twins I can keep an eye out them come up on a regular basis.