stuartni 550 Cafe.
43 (39.4%)
Scubasreev 750F mild Cafe.
6 (5.5%)
Iron-Worker's CB750 Stocker.
47 (43.1%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Voting closed: July 31, 2013, 08:31:19 am

Author Topic: Vote for Bike of the Month - August 2013  (Read 17121 times)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Vote for Bike of the Month - August 2013
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:31:20 am »
Only 4 of the six nominees this month as two wern't accepted.

Again we have some class looking bikes, the choice is yours.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:35:19 pm by cheftuskey121 »
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
Re: Bike of the Month - August 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 01:16:43 pm »
Here we go guys,
Moondog's "not going to ride around without lots of looks, smiles, and conversations" Cb750F

Stuartini's "classic cafe that should be thrown into the twisties and ridden hard" CB550

cptChavez's "tastefully mild cafe with an ode to summertime via the bikini fairing" CB750F

And IronWorker's "he restored THAT in a 3rd story apartment man room?" CB750

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
Re: Bike of the Month - August 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 01:32:10 pm »
I may not have been the first to vote, but I'm the first to brag about it!
Good luck to all the contenders.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
Re: Vote for Bike of the Month - August 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 06:38:14 pm »
nominees/contenders, please feel free to add in before pictures as well as recent pictures. give us a little story/background on your builds too. we all love to hear and see why we should vote for you! thanks guys :{D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 06:39:32 pm »
Nice commentary Chef.   

Nominees - lets hear some stories on how your bike came to be and plz post more pics.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 07:20:49 pm »
yeah, not that crazy about any of the bikes this month...gonna take some good stories to convince me :)
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 01:22:08 am »
Nice commentary Chef.   

It sure was Steve, that's why Mr Tuskey now has a new title...did anyone notice ?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:51:59 am »
Nice commentary Chef.   

It sure was Steve, that's why Mr Tuskey now has a new title...did anyone notice ?

Sam. ;)

I hadn't but just did. Well deserved...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline stuartni

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 06:16:53 am »
Name is stuart im 26 from Northern Ireland (part of the uk), i have always loved bikes but a quite new to the bike scene, my father in law have raced bike and sidecars all his life here in Northern Ireland the isle of man tt etc and he is the main reason i got into classic bikes. I watched the likes of cafe racer/ classic bike programmes and loved the whole scene of classic bikes so after months of searching cafe racers i decided to go with a cb550 as i loved the look and its honda as I've always been honda lover, also parts for them in the uk are easy enough to get unlike some others. I found this bike local to me after waiting around 4 months for one to come up as they are very hard to come by over here. This is the first bike I've ever built and the first bike ive ever owned. Now me and the father in law have a nice collection of bikes with this being my pride and joy

to this

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 08:43:55 am »
Just out of interest, what made you go for the wire spokes over the cast alloys that were on it?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline stuartni

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 10:34:16 am »
Simply answer I love spoke wheels for me they give the bike the older more period correct, im not a big fan of cast wheel tho these ones I have are actually quite nice so they might get used on another bike build  8)

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:26:18 pm »
That wall kind of swallows the bike man. Sorry the photographer in me.

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 01:17:01 pm »
Nice commentary Chef.   

Sam. ;)

I hadn't but just did. Well deserved...

thanks guys, I love to help out the community that helped me through everything as much as I can! happy voting guys. theres been a few lead changes, its still close!

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 01:24:18 pm »
Congrat's on the "promotion" Chef. Not bad for less than a year as a member.

Tough call on the vote. I loved follwoing Stuartini's build, but how can i not reward IW for such a nice resto without access to an actual garage.

Decisions decisions.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 01:29:58 pm »
Congrat's on the "promotion" Chef. Not bad for less than a year as a member.

Tough call on the vote. I loved follwoing Stuartini's build, but how can i not reward IW for such a nice resto without access to an actual garage.

Decisions decisions.

thanks bakerdanny! I actually do not know how I am going to vote. I love every single one. following the "vote for the one I want in my garage" rule does not work here......

Offline matchstikman

• ask the toecutter! he knows who I am!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 07:30:40 am »
 Steve from Saginaw Michigan here. I've been riding for about 10 years. My first bike was a 600 Katana, (can-of-tuna), which was a lot of power for a beginner bike I think, but it was easy to get used to. I was younger and foolish though and in my inexperience blew-up the transmission in a couple years from poppin' wheelies. After that I rode my ex's 250 ninja for a few. Fun agile bike, but really just a toy. About a year after the 250 disappeared, a friend and patron of the local cafe pulled up on a 69' 750k. He's a chemist, so of  course he'd already studied the history of the entire line of bikes and schooled me on the 1st gen K's "game changer" intro. I was sold. It wasn't long before he found a bargain on criagslist for me. I loaded the kids in the truck, borrowed a trailer, and headed for Detroit. The bike was yellow with chameleon flames, and the tank had been lacquered. had new tires, all original, and only 7600 miles on it. After a jump and a few twists of the throttle it started right up. I gave the man 1000 cash, and the rest is history.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:36:46 am by cptChavez750 »
Stone (1974) Greatest biker movie ever made!

Offline matchstikman

• ask the toecutter! he knows who I am!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 07:47:46 am »
I don't have a lot of money, so the deal was the original can for use of the trailer. The friend that found my bike for me gave me the black megaphone. thanks John Z. With Mad Max as my inspiration, the work began. I saved my pennies for the fairing, Gooses fairing would be nice, and picked up the blinkers at a swap meet. Of course the hot rod paint job had to go. I only wish I had some pics of that. (described in earlier post). Went with Iron gray. I ditched the original bar for a lower one, and finally a drag bar. Mechanically all it's needed were new points, and the calipers freed. That's it for now, but there will be a solo seat in the future. She's a keeper.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:15:59 am by cptChavez750 »
Stone (1974) Greatest biker movie ever made!

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 07:51:19 pm »
I just have to say, wow. Some really great bikes and I'd love to go for a rip on each one of them!  8)

My story starts out several years ago. I was about 10 at the time and my dad was a heavy smoker. My mother was also a smoker a few years back but had quit and was now urging him to quit too. Eventually, the deal was hashed out that if he quit smoking he could buy a motorcycle again. My father had always a been a bike guy in his younger days. He had lusted for, ridden, and owned several CB750s back in the day. He even got into a pretty severe accident during university that put him in a coma for a while! He kept riding even after that. Once the kids came though, money was tighter and the bikes took a back seat to parenthood. Now that his family was more established (many years later) they could afford some more luxuries again like bikes.

So, the deal was done. He quit smoking from a 2-pack-a-day guy to nothing. Cold turkey.  :o

I remember the evening a guy rolled over to our house with a bike. He didn't even ride it over, he brought it in the back of the truck. He started it up once and we heard it run ... I think that sealed the deal. Even though it was dark and he didn't even know if it would shift into gear ... my dad bought it. I recall it had a Wind Jammer fairing, a back rest, engine crash bars, and was actually the original green for that year but the paint was in rough shape.

Immediately, the fairing and crash bars were removed (just in time for my sister to dump it over!) and the tank was sent off for paint. The bike went in and out of several shops and dealerships but none of the could seem to get it to run quite like he remembered!

It looked something like this (I don't have any pics on my computer of what it actually looked like back then):

In this pic it actually already has new exhaust and I had extensively cleaned it up.

It did run but it was always a cold starting pig. He just couldn't get it to run like he remembered them. He use to tell me stories about how legendary these bikes were back in the day ... and I just couldn't see it at the time with this poor running, beat up old machine. How could this be so great?

BUT then he taught me how to ride. This was my first street bike. I was in love after that.

In 2007, my father passed away suddenly while scuba diving. An unknown congenital heart defect took his life that day. My family was lost for a long time without him.  :(

I continued through my education and got my Mechanical Engineering degree as I knew my father would be so proud for me to finish. After getting a job and paying off some debt I decided it was finally time to clean up that old bike. Get her running like it really should and really experience the 750s as they were meant to be. One big problem .... I live in a 3rd floor condo. My gf is in law school so the money for buying a house really isn't there .... hmmmm

Let's turn the spare bedroom into a shop!!!

Fortunately my gf played along ... even that day where the bike sat in the kitchen for a little while. hahah

You can check my build thread for all the in between details but it ended up like this after what I estimate to be about 400-500hrs spent over one winter:

Her first road trip of any significant length after the rebuild.

Glamour shot!

Chrome all shined up!

Me with the old girl.  8)

So anyway, that brings us up to today. It runs very well and I'm very glad it's done (... well as done as you can ever say a project really is...).

Happy voting!

IW

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 08:04:09 pm »
Great job and story, IW. Well done.....

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 11:06:26 am »
Thank you Stev-o.

IW

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 05:40:50 am »
As usual a great group of bikes, and a tough choice.  However, vote is cast.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 06:45:19 am »
Great write ups guys! Except moondog...where are you?? It is neck and neck for the lead right now. Exciting stuff. If anyone's viewed this and hasn't voted, get to voting! Thanks everyone.

Offline vfourfreak

• Do you think that's wise
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 06:57:22 am »
I've just voted after tormenting myself for several hours ! The standard was so high !!!!! Difficult choice !

IW, I think we should have a photo of the patient GF who put up with your absence for 500 Hrs, tolerated the home being turned into a garage, had surgery and is studying law !!

If there was a poll for GF of the month or year she would surely win.

Kev

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 07:51:20 am »
Haha, I'll ask her and see if she is up for being added to the forum.  :P

IW

Offline vfourfreak

• Do you think that's wise
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 08:01:45 am »
Haha, I'll ask her and see if she is up for being added to the forum.  :P

IW

Her choice of course !!!!! But we never can do these projects alone, there is always someone in the background supporting. Just like when I raced TZ Yamahas in Ireland for 5 years, there was always help, not always recognised appropriately.

Kev