Author Topic: West coast heading north - coastline or mountains?  (Read 11753 times)

Offline Schnell

• Expert
Re: West coast heading north - coastline or mountains?
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 09:52:48 am »
That's good. Not looking for a riding partner for whole trip. Sections with different people would be okay.
A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. --Lao Tsu

primary: 1974 Honda CB750
long term, now resting: 1981 BMW R100/7
project: 1971 Honda CL350
project: 1974 Honda CB450

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

My little website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 11:35:04 pm »
Thank you!

So now I'm thinking for the first leg of my trip, to ride south on blue ridge parkway then cut across to Memphis where I have a buddy to show me the town. I'll avoid the south eastern states which sound boring.

Sounds like a good plan.  Have your buddy take you to Corky's BBQ while in Memphis. :)

Another thought for the return route if you plan on looping over the top of Lake Huron.  This is almost your back yard so maybe you know something about it.  Instead of going around Georgian Bay take the right to Little Current on Manitoulin Island.  The bridge at Little Current is a cool single lane iron girder swing bridge built around 1913.  It opens up for 15 minutes each hour to let the sailboats though, including me...should be passing through on Monday. ;D   At South Baymouth you can catch the ferry to Tobermory on the Bruce Pennisula.  Manitoulin Island is really nice with lots of little villages and worth spend a day or two exploring.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:28:20 am by srust58 »

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 11:17:28 am »
Let me know when you are coming through Central CA.  I would love to ride with you for a bit.  There are some wonderful roads that you may already have looked at beyond PCH1. 
1976 CB550F
Standard disclaimer: Remember I am just a girl--so be nice fellows!

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 11:55:05 am »
Not that it is a show stopper, but the Pacific Coast Highway One has prevailing winds that go from north to south during summer.  So, if there is a choice, pick the north to south direction.  It's pretty scenery in either direction.

If you can stand the detour, Sequoia National forest is a must see, with Yosemite not too far away.  Too bad between the coast and Sequoia across the big flat valley isn't very interesting.  But, you will see taller redwoods (not nearly as wide as Sequoias) North of San Fran on Hwy 1.

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Schnell

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 05:28:58 pm »
More input - thank you!

Srust58: I've done the north of Lake Huron/Superior and Manitoulin Is. route before by car, so will likely stay south.

Mooshie: I would be honored. You're practically famous.

TwoTired: not sure why, but a clockwise circle around the US is stuck in my mind.

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 08:22:28 pm »
There is a dwarf forrest (dwarf trees, not dwarf people) near SLO and Morro Bay that is pretty cool. Has a salt water marsh nearby. Montano del Oro has a cool beach with jetty that has some fierce rip that is pretty cool. The jetty can be walked out near the crashing surf. It is a peaceful place to listen to surf with lots of people on the short section of beach.
South of Avril Beach is a bird santuary near some giant dunes (part of dunes are open to ATVs), forget the full name... something Oso which means bear. There is a saltwater lake and boarded walk to the beach which has good fishing and a pretty beach. It is near a point so the surf has rip currents in places, not a good swimming beach. Lake has good variety of birds if you like birds...
Central coastal California is known for excellent tri-tip steak, a peppered slow cooked beef that is delicious and very tender. Try some when you are in that area...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 11:20:55 pm »
not sure why, but a clockwise circle around the US is stuck in my mind.
There are only a few routes from East to West across AZ/SoCal, like the main routes I-40 and I-10. You can take an alternative route through Parker/ 29 Palms, but unless you are a desert rat like me, you may find the landscape a bit bleak. In any case, I would advise avoiding the general LA area, and take back roads instead of the interstates all the way to the central coast area.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Schnell

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 06:03:40 am »
not sure why, but a clockwise circle around the US is stuck in my mind.
There are only a few routes from East to West across AZ/SoCal, like the main routes I-40 and I-10. You can take an alternative route through Parker/ 29 Palms, but unless you are a desert rat like me, you may find the landscape a bit bleak. In any case, I would advise avoiding the general LA area, and take back roads instead of the interstates all the way to the central coast area.

I'm getting the same impression: that Southern California and LA area is best avoided. I have already determined to avoid interstates. Thanks!

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 08:44:57 am »
Going from Phoenix to San Diego takes you through Yuma on I10, you will want plenty of water if you are going in July.
Or take Phoenix to LA.  Mulholland Drive is entertaining if you like its history.
Angeles Crest Highway heading north out of LA is fun, then cut back across the Mohave to the coast and run the PCH and other roads with Mooshie. But, unless you back track south you will miss some things like Malibu and the car culture in some parts of LA. Santa Barbara has a nice palm tree filled park if you want to take a nap.
The missions up and down the coast are interesting to tour for their history and architecture.
There are several warbird museums like Chino and others if you enjoy aircraft. Chino is cool because they fly many of them on the airshow circuit and they restore and rebuild them there.

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 11:21:41 am »
Schnell:  Let me know your itinerary and what you have in mind for CA and we can find plenty of wonderful rides (many have already been suggested by Rafster and Scott) to get you on your way.  Have to agree about the ride on PCH (North to South is far nicer) but either way has spectacular riding.   :D
1976 CB550F

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 01:53:06 pm »
The Star Trek episode was filmed at Vasquez Rocks Natural Area Park - 10700 W. Escondido Canyon Rd., Agua Dulce, California, USA
Episode titled "Arena" where Kirk had to fight a reptilian creature on the planet which features a very rocky terrain and lots of red rock formations... Kirk ended up making gun powder...
The rocks are very impressive but you won't be able to photograph the bike with any of them as it is a park and the path is foot path and horse paths only.  Google it and you can find photos online to see what it is like.  It is pretty impressive and will take you about an hour to 90 minutes if I remember correctly to do a loop hike into and out of the area to get a pretty good feel for it. It is interesting, but not mind blowing.

What is wild is the La Brea Tar Pits is in the heart of LA and they have a park there. They have a museum you can pay to enter and check out if you are into it...
Museum is $12/admission and the Ice Age Experience is another $3 when you do the combo ticket.
Museum address is: 5801 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036

So, avoiding LA entirely, will have you missing a few things of interest if you want to play tourist some while along the way.

Oh yeah, on the road to (near San Luis Obispo SLO) Avila Beach is a farmer's market that had great fresh fruits and vegetables and some pretty good local honey. Worth a stop if you are going to swing through the area.
Take See Canyon Road (stop at the orchard for a great apple at Gopher Glen, 2899 See Canyon Rd, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405 if they are open) and then take Prefumo Canyon Road back into SLO.  A couple fun roads.
Attached a view from one of the trails in the Irish Hills area of SLO. (A hiking trail. The clouds are the thermal layer that help keep the temperatures cool in the area and the clouds generally burn off/receed to the sea by lunchtime.

Pismo Beach is a few miles down the road from SLO and has a pier. Surfers will usually be in the water if conditions permit.  (Remember the Bug's Bunny episode featuring Pismo Beach?)  McClintock's Saloon & Grill in SLO is better I think for a TriTip steak.
Fireside Grill in SLO has great TriTip sandwiches.

Offline Schnell

• Expert
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 08:24:16 am »
I don't want to get stuck in a big city. Maybe avoid LA and SanFran be hitting the coast north of them? Or is there great stuff between them?

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 10:12:51 am »
I don't want to get stuck in a big city. Maybe avoid LA and SanFran be hitting the coast north of them? Or is there great stuff between them?
You know the old saying;  "One ocean looks much like another".
 ;D ;D ;D

https://www.google.com/search?q=pacific+coast+highway&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=ovn&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=BH0CUqGyBMGpiAKJzoG4BQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1621&bih=1048

I can't speak for the LA area or south thereof.  But, I reckon the short time of discomfort through SF (if you hit the wrong time of day) is worth the joy of riding between LA and SF.  Most people want to see Golden Gate Park and drive the most crooked street, for example.  What, no seafood at the wharf?  Or touching a cable car?  Or, feathering both clutch and throttle after that uphill stop sign on a steep grade?
Just because they are touristy things, doesn't make them distasteful experiences.  You're going to ride within 30 minutes of these things and ignore them?

72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Schnell

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 01:54:24 pm »
It may sound strange but I am somewhat repulsed by most touristy things, along with big cities. Please tell me more though about the joy of riding between LA and SF.

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 02:34:58 pm »
It may sound strange but I am somewhat repulsed by most touristy things,

It doesn't sound strange to me. Nothing wrong with not wanting to be another one of the herd.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 04:06:39 pm »

It doesn't sound strange to me. Nothing wrong with not wanting to be another one of the herd.

+1.  One one of my trips, I made sure I avoided LA freeways. 

PCH 1 between La And San Fran is spectacular, at least do part of it. 
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Schnell

• Expert
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 04:13:11 pm »

Is the coastal road between LA and SF better than the coastal road north of SF?

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 04:23:32 pm »
It may sound strange but I am somewhat repulsed by most touristy things, along with big cities. Please tell me more though about the joy of riding between LA and SF.
The pictures I referenced aren't enough?  Describing something and experiencing it, is just not the same.

If you chose Highway 5 or 99, it's just another freeway.  In the big valley most of the roads are tract style, have been evolved from rectangular farm land borders.  If you enjoy watching farm tractors, tomatoe bin haulers, produce and farm animal movers, and irrigation sprinklers, it will be a hoot!

If you travel along the mountains inland, there is far more visual interest, some ghost towns, and old, mostly abandoned, mining sites (Columbia pretty fun).  I don't think it is better than the coastline route, just different.

If you don't want to be a tourist, why is it you are traveling?  The popular things are usually that for a reason.  Are you bypassing the famously touristy grand canyon and Hover dam?  You may just be deliriously happy with route 50 in Nevada.  ;D ;D  ;D

The PCH is just a very nice ride with wonderful scenery.  You'll get the most tourists there on weekends.  But, anywhere on the pacific coast will be like that.  The mountains have the weekend tourists and vacation campers, too.  If that repulses you, head for Nevada route 50!  California has 38 million people in it roaming about.  Anywhere but home is popular whenever time allows.  One of the allures of CAL. is that there is so much to see and do, much of which you will find nowhere else.  Heck, I've got twisty foothill roads starting three blocks from my house.  Not too far is a telescope observatory (They put those as close to the stars as possible.)  Yup, fun winding road up to that.

Perhaps you should list what DOES interest you, or at least a flavor of that?  Just you and the road?  A shanty town roadside beer?  You don't have to come to Cal. to find that.  But, it's here if you want it.  Not many places can you find the diverse places and activity.  Such as mountain snowboarding/ stream trout fishing in the morning and coastal surfing/deep sea fishing in the afternoon evening, or vice versa.  (And just about everything in between).  Like white water rafting?  We got it.  Lazy houseboat float down the rivers, we got that, too.
If you allot 1 day for CA travel, you'll miss a lot, and most likely the best it has to offer.  Less so, if you take a week.  But, you'll still miss a lot.  CA is pretty big and diverse.  Like volcanic aftermath? Want to walk in a lava tube?  Caving?

What we don't have is a flat horizon in every direction you look.  (And good politicians,  :(   So, unless you want a pretty good train museum, avoid Sacramento. But, they do have a nice fast freeway around it, to get past it quickly.   ;D )

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 04:25:23 pm »

I think they are equally fantastic.  The big trees are N of San Fran, so if that appeals to you, could sway you if you need to choose.  San Fran proper is not that big, wouldnt be the worst big city to cruise through. Then jump on the Golden Gate and head north. It's a very beautiful area.

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 07:36:20 pm »

The best part of Hwy 1, IMHO, starts in Morro Bay. South of there, Hwy1 and the 101 are merged in most places, and people on the 101 are in a hurry to get somewhere. Other than SF, Hwy 1 is nice all the way to Oregon.
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2013, 08:10:03 pm »

I think they are equally fantastic.  The big trees are N of San Fran, so if that appeals to you, could sway you if you need to choose.  San Fran proper is not that big, wouldnt be the worst big city to cruise through. Then jump on the Golden Gate and head north. It's a very beautiful area.

That picture is gorgeous.  Makes me want to ride across that bridge one more time...
1976 CB550F

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2013, 10:35:24 pm »

That picture is gorgeous.  Makes me want to ride across that bridge one more time...
1+ Trouble is, that is not the view ON the bridge, when dodging trucks and cars. ;) ;D The first time I rode over the bridge, it scared the crap out of me! Thoughts like "What if the "big one" hits!??" crossed my mind. :o

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2013, 08:54:01 am »
No kidding.  Luckily the only time I road across it the fog was so thick (and I made certain it was super early in the morning) I couldn't see enough of the road to get scared!
1976 CB550F

Offline Schnell

• Expert
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2013, 03:45:18 pm »

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

Offline Schnell

• Expert
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2014, 05:39:21 am »
Getting closer to retirement (and to my trip.) Just 100 working days left.

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175