Author Topic: Replacement Regulator/Rectifier CHEAP  (Read 183156 times)

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Replacement Regulator/Rectifier CHEAP
« Reply #400 on: June 16, 2013, 11:52:28 am »
79 cb650, new rotor and new battery. R/R that was on the bike went bad as 1 of the stator brushes wore down causing intermittent charging and a very dim headlight on the night drive home from work. Changed stator from parts bike, it had good long brushes.  I tried the r/r back on for testing battery volts and it went up over 15 volts at 4000 rpm and got quite hot to the touch. Tried my spare from parts bike and it leveled out at 14.70/71 volts and back down to 14.68/69 volts@4000 rpm, plus this one got hot to the touch as well. So both r/r's are toasted; what i was wondering was i picked up a Motorcraft ford regulator off a 70's series 3/4 ton from junkyard for $5. Can i wire up this regulator and it work with one of the cb650 r/r units i have by just using the rectifier side of the 650 r/r box? Don't know if it has been tried but if i get rising volts then the rectifier side must be converting and regulator side is going to crap out. This make sense to anyone?

This is probably the wrong thread for this.  But, the heating R/R can be caused by external factors, like the rotor drawing too much power through the R/R.  This is actually quite common with the CB650, and gone to extreme can damage the R/R unit.

I recommend you measure the resistance of the rotor.  If below 4Ω, you found the cause of R/R heating and destruction.  The lower the resistance the higher its current and power demands.

From your readings, it appears you already have working R/Rs.  They are likely being taxed by a defective rotor.

BTW, the "stator" refers to the stationary alternator windings, and the "rotor" refers to the rotating windings of the 650 alternator type.  Your post cinfuses some of the terms, which may add to confusion.
The stator does not have brushes, the rotor does.  What was it you replaced?  Have you measured the rotor resistance?
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline my79650

• Enthusiast
  • old school 750 carbs on a cb650
« Reply #401 on: June 16, 2013, 11:32:48 pm »
Alright i called them stator brushes cause they are mounted in the cover along with the stator unit, Sorry for the confusion. the new rotor tested at 4.3 ohms before i installed it. Will start a new thread for this.

Offline SchoolDaGeek

« Reply #402 on: June 26, 2013, 08:21:53 pm »
79 cb650, new rotor and new battery. R/R that was on the bike went bad as 1 of the stator brushes wore down causing intermittent charging and a very dim headlight on the night drive home from work. Changed stator from parts bike, it had good long brushes.  I tried the r/r back on for testing battery volts and it went up over 15 volts at 4000 rpm and got quite hot to the touch. Tried my spare from parts bike and it leveled out at 14.70/71 volts and back down to 14.68/69 volts@4000 rpm, plus this one got hot to the touch as well. So both r/r's are toasted; what i was wondering was i picked up a Motorcraft ford regulator off a 70's series 3/4 ton from junkyard for $5. Can i wire up this regulator and it work with one of the cb650 r/r units i have by just using the rectifier side of the 650 r/r box? Don't know if it has been tried but if i get rising volts then the rectifier side must be converting and regulator side is going to crap out. This make sense to anyone?

Welcome My79650, most of the relevant information has moved to another thread:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=121646.0

I believe it is certainly possible to retain the rectifier portion of the OEM R/R and throw in any automotive voltage regulator if you know what you are doing.

I always start with the rockauto.com and Wellsve.com site to look up connections then apply them to the situation.

In the beginning of this thread there was the ASFI Ford Regulator and the IASF regulator.  I am not a mechanic by any means meaning certified or with a degree, but there are ways to determine what needs to be done.

Here is my picture with a Dodge VR295 regulator, Pinhead is the OP, but it has been 6 years and 400+ posts on the subject.  Your mileage may vary, the intent is to show which wires in the harness do what and how you can apply them to the environment.  Good luck!

Offline The Mayor

• My Gallery
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #403 on: July 25, 2013, 09:27:01 pm »
Well, I bought the unit I posted about earlier of eBay, and did switch the red/green so that it match the original plug, and so far so good. Actually, I'm noticing that I'm charging at idle on my 350f, which... doesn't make sense to me. I'll keep you guys posted on how it works...

Offline harald

• Sandcast69
« Reply #404 on: October 18, 2013, 10:48:43 am »
Hey guys - just bought a regulator/rectifier off ebay that's supposed to be a plug-n-play (cheaper, Chinese version)...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CB350F-CB400F-CB500F-CB550F-CB550K3-CB750F1-CB750K1-K7-Regulator-Rectifier-/150529432328?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230c40db08&vxp=mtr

Question is this... it appears that the lead and ground (red and green) wires are opposite from the original rectifier's plug. Do the rectifiers care if you switch the +/- ??? Anyone else bought one of these units? For $30 I thought I'd give it a shot...
I bought two of them and changed places with red and green wire, but rec does not charge, something is wrong, maybe green from rec is not grounded well enough? Checked the reg/rec according to other posts posted here and can not find any faults. Will try again tomorrow.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #405 on: October 18, 2013, 11:06:00 am »
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline vintagevalves

« Reply #406 on: October 26, 2013, 05:33:46 pm »
Howdy! I've been running the Ford regulator for over a year without issue.   Last week, I parked my bike and the next day my battery was dead...   Charged it up and checked a few things.  Stator windings all check fine.  Silicon Rectifier tests fine on my DMM diode test    The regulator seemed to be charging fine.   

I narrowed my voltage draw to the regulator. If I connect a test light between the wire to the regulator and battery positive I get a nice bright indication.    Thinking the Ford Regulator died, I replaced it with the VR124/650 'Porsche' regulator, but continue to have the same issue.    Bike still charges fine when running, but has current draw with the bike off, but not a direct short.    I have the regulator wired direct to the battery with a 10amp fuse, wired to ground direct (and mounted to the frame) and to the white wire from the original regulator.   

Any ideas what may have changed?

Offline vintagevalves

« Reply #407 on: October 26, 2013, 09:08:08 pm »
A bit more thinking on my situation, and it think I have it figured out......   I believe what's happening here is that the regulator is applying full voltage to the field coil even when the bike is not running...   12.5V into 5ohms is  right around the 2 amp discharge I'm seeing.    So, the confusing part is why it just started happening, and why others have not reported this problem....  I believe it doesn't happen with working Ford Regulators due to them having the extra connection for the sense wire.   Something went haywire with my original one causing it to apply voltage full time... 

This Porsche regulator vr650 / vr124 needs to be plugged in directly in place of the OEM one so it is switched....

I tried it this way but experience high charging voltage around 15v at the battery.  I think this is due to voltage drops occurring in old wiring, connectors and key switch - making the regulator sense lower voltage and compensating.    I'll try cleaning some connections and if not, I'll come up with a little relay...

Offline Queeg

• insane fuel junkie
  • Enthusiast
  • OY! with the poodles allready!
    • Queegs Problems
« Reply #408 on: December 30, 2013, 10:09:42 pm »
Wow makes me happy this thread is still progressing.  merry christmas and happy new years.
guess who?

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #409 on: February 05, 2015, 02:17:50 pm »
Bump!  ;D

Someone should pin this thread.

Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline wohali

• What, me worry?
  • Hot Shot
  • Don Pardo, tell 'em what they've won!
« Reply #410 on: February 05, 2015, 02:36:10 pm »
100% agree - as an EE I approve this thread wholeheartedly :)

Offline SoyBoySigh

• Enthusiast
« Reply #411 on: August 04, 2015, 06:17:56 pm »
BUMP! Yeah some very interesting stuff - should be added to the DOHC 'F-orum (www.cb1100f.net) thread "GM coils mod" if it isn't already.

-S.