Author Topic: #34 again!  (Read 1655 times)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
#34 again!
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:06:10 am »
not sohc related, but man, Schwantz getting on the podium again at 49 yrs old is sweet. he took third at the suzuka 8 hrs teaming with haga and takahashi.

Offline voxonda

• Master
Re: #34 again!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:11:00 am »
But the youngest ever, Dutch participant Michael van de Mark won the race! Still a very strong efford from Revvin 'Kevin!
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 11:10:19 am »
not sohc related, but man, Schwantz getting on the podium again at 49 yrs old is sweet. he took third at the suzuka 8 hrs teaming with haga and takahashi.

a lot of people are going to have to eat there words , there was talk of him tarnishing his reputation by taking this ride , glad hes proved them all wrong .

we have all been waiting for the next dutch master for far to long , have been watching van de mark in world super sport and he is definitely a star of the future

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:55:28 pm »

a lot of people are going to have to eat there words , there was talk of him tarnishing his reputation by taking this ride , glad hes proved them all wrong .

we have all been waiting for the next dutch master for far to long , have been watching van de mark in world super sport and he is definitely a star of the future

Completely unwarranted criticism i would say Simon, have a look at our Aussie post classic racing with the likes of Phillis, Gardner, Campbell and others, man can those guy still ride fast, and on completely outdated  heavy old bikes.... ;)  Don't knock the old fella's i say, they usually have the biggest balls.... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:15:45 am »
hei RR, with all due respect for those guys you mention (and we have some really fast old ex racers in italian classic racing too) Kevin's achievement is on a totally different level. Suzuka is a FMI endurance world championship round, on the latest machinery, with the latest tires, against top of the crop pros that are on average half his age and no shortage in the balls department. 
it's nothing short of amazing.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:33:57 am »
never mind the heavy old bikes mick have you seen the size of gardner recently ! , i have always thought that a former 500 champion can loose 80% of his ability and still be faster than most other riders . tg is right though the 8 hour race is no club race it is still a world class event , not like it once was but to get on the podium at 49 is a remarkable achievement from a remarkable rider .

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 12:08:18 pm »
have a look at our Aussie post classic racing with the likes of Phillis, Gardner, Campbell and others, man can those guy still ride fast, and on completely outdated  heavy old bikes.... ;)  Don't knock the old fella's i say, they usually have the biggest balls.... ;D
'Cept for Gardner RR - he's just got the biggest mouth!  8)
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 02:58:31 pm »
hei RR, with all due respect for those guys you mention (and we have some really fast old ex racers in italian classic racing too) Kevin's achievement is on a totally different level. Suzuka is a FMI endurance world championship round, on the latest machinery, with the latest tires, against top of the crop pros that are on average half his age and no shortage in the balls department. 
it's nothing short of amazing.

I think you missed the point TG, it was "don't underestimate the old guys".... ;D

[/quote]
[/quote]

True, but he's still setting lap records....and he's old.....like us..... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 03:26:33 pm »
have a look at our Aussie post classic racing with the likes of Phillis, Gardner, Campbell and others, man can those guy still ride fast, and on completely outdated  heavy old bikes.... ;)  Don't knock the old fella's i say, they usually have the biggest balls.... ;D

he was also the the bravest racer i have ever seen , first met him in the 80s and last bumped into him in spain at the end of last season where his son has been racing .