Author Topic: 1976 CB750K_Now I Need to Sort Things Out Behind the Headlight  (Read 1790 times)

Offline CB_Jeff

• Enthusiast
Now that I have my starter button woes resolved, some new problems have popped up in it's place.
So now I have what should be a new K6 wiring harness hooked-up to a new set of right hand controls.
The starter button works, but now the headlight, the left turn signals and marker lights and possibly the ignition switch do not work.  I followed the reasonable line of thought hooking:
 - Black with red stripe to black with red stripe,
 - Yellow with red stripe to yellow with red stripe, and
 - Green with red stripe to green with red stripe.... and then there are the two black wires.
The controls that were previously on the right were an earlier set with the headlight on / off slide switch.
I think that I need to buy Hondaman's book.
The one step forward and two steps back with this project is getting discouraging, although I expect it is helping with my technical troubleshooting skills.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 04:17:59 pm by CBCafe_Jeff »

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
Re: 1976 CB750K Electric Starter Woes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 02:53:54 pm »
tripple check the connection in headlight bucket?
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline CB_Jeff

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:14:53 pm »
I'll give the bucket connections a double check in the morning.  I should offer that the bike also has  new harness...everything else is working.

Offline 78whiteorbs

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 07:28:37 pm »
Same thing was happening to me.turned out a wire was being pinchedin the harness and grounding out. Wiggle your harness one section at a time while holding the start button. Frustrating but comes withe the territory. Gluck

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:19:23 pm »
Sometimes the contacts inside the start button gets corroded and won't make good contact when you push it. You can pull the button apart and clean everything with a brush  and some baking soda.

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline Bootlegger56

• Butch
  • Hot Shot
  • Nuthin' taps ya out quicker than cole corn likker!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:46:28 pm »
Or maybe a leaky master cylinder in the past contaminated the internals of the right hand switch housing.  I had that issue with my K5 when I first got it back on the road.  When I disassembled the right hand control it was full of an oily mess that smelled of brake fluid.  I had to rebuild it.  A pain but a good education.
Ya can travel near or ya can travel far; but no matter where ya go thar ya are!

750 K5
550 K1

Offline CB_Jeff

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 02:55:03 am »
Wouldn't a good continuity test of the starter switch rule it out?  The switch continuity tests in the headlight bucket and the starter relay both showed good continuity when the starter button was pushed (i.e. my multi meter made a buzzing noise when the starter button was pressed).
Another question that I have related to the new used right controls that I have, I noted that there is an aluminum pin that keys into the stock handle bars.  I have new bars and was considering grinding that out, any reason to keep and drill the new bars?
Also, no signs of brake fluid in the controls.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 03:10:28 am »
Does your bike have the clutch lock out switch to prevent the bike from being started unless the clutch is pulled?....Larry

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 04:16:33 am »
Does your bike have the clutch lock out switch to prevent the bike from being started unless the clutch is pulled?....Larry
Good point as my regular rider K4 has to have the clutch pulled in for the starter to work.

Offline CB_Jeff

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 07:39:20 am »
I tried pulling in the clutch lever and pushing the start button....nothing....
I will check for a switch, I vaguely recall seeing something looking like a switch on the bottom front of the clutch housing.
I did try jumping the starter relay it works....meaning the starter powers up and tries to start the bike.  I also changed the starter relay out with one that I know works...so I am pretty  sure it isn't the relay.

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 07:49:04 am »
Your continuity test isn't telling you anything about wether or not that switch is working. Ground the Yellow/red. if the starter spins, your switch isn't making contact to ground.

Offline CB_Jeff

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 07:21:44 am »
I grounded the yellow / red wire and the starter did not spin.
With that and the continuity test I am satisfied that the problem is not the switch.
I am back home today and plan to look into the possibility of a clutch switch being the culprit.
More on this later.....

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 09:56:16 am »
You can check the solenoid by putting 12v to the two wires(probably y/r and b) coming out of the solenoid.  You click and start up...Larry

Offline CB_Jeff

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 05:27:27 pm »
Well, I figured it out, the issue was that I was unknowingly trying to run a non-k6 set of controls on a k6 harness (the controls that I was running were the kind with the headlight  on /off switch).  Anyhow, I installed a new set of k6 controls (sans headlight on/ off switch) and now the starter button works. 
Quick question for those out there in the know, what is the correct connection on the two black wires from the right hand controls.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 05:36:35 pm »
black to black/white and black to red/black should work...Larry

Offline CB_Jeff

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 03:32:18 am »
Huh, I wouldn't have thought that.... I went with:
 - black with red stipe to black with red stripe,
 - green with red stripe to green with red stripe,
 - yellow with red stripe to yellow with yellow with red stripe, and then there are the two black wires.
Anyhow, before everything worked except the starter button, and now I have the starter button working, but have lost the headlight, lost the left turn signals and cannot be sure about the ignition (red on-off switch).
A marginally discouraging repair / upgrade.

Offline CB_Jeff

• Enthusiast
Re: 1976 CB750K_Now I Need to Sort Things Out Behind the Headlight
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 04:19:41 pm »
Updated my post... my woes have changed a bit.  Might be time to get out there with the multi meter and sort out the jumble that is the headlight bucket.

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 06:33:43 pm »
leave the multimeter in the toolbox and use a good old fashioned test light. It'll save you time

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 06:49:33 pm »
Black/red is hot power out of the RH switch for the headlight. Yellow/red is starter in RH switch. Black should go in to the RH switch

The black in the RH switch is where the juice comes from, two of those wires. One for coil power via the killswitch and the other that powers the combo start and HL switch. When the button is idle power flows through from black in to your black/red out for HL power. When button is pressed it cuts HL power and directs that black power thru to the yellow/red giving juice to that starter relay.

Green/red is clutch safety switch, it actually round about grounds the starter solenoid using the neutral switch and clutch safety switch in combination on the k6.

For the left TS make sure your grounds haven't been disturbed, the ground via the HL bucket bolts. Make sure the bullet connectors fit snugly. Light blue and orange are your turn signal wires

oldmanhonda.com  Use the interactive diagram for a 750. It will work enough to get you moving after the color coding for the switch I gave you
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers

Offline CB_Jeff

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 07:01:11 pm »
Thanks! I will give that a try.

Offline cgarbe

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 05:31:32 am »
CBCafe_Jeff, what were your starter issues? I'm having starter issues with my 1978 Honda cb750f right now!
1975 Honda CB400F
1978 Honda CB750F

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 07:17:03 am »
Te best thing I did was copy the old man honda color diagram and paste it to a piece of cardboard. Then hang it or prop it where you can look at it while working. It can be confusing at first but follow your colors to the components and after a while you too will be an expert. Remember the colors. black is 12V feed, green is always ground. The stripes all have a purpose too. There will ba an extra wire or two. Usually a green and a brown/white maybe a black. The European bikes have a park light in the headlight reflector, the wires for that will be there and unused.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 07:18:53 am »
And, the earlier switches can be used but it takes some wiring changes. They won't work uless you duplicate the early wiring circuits.

Offline CB_Jeff

• Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 07:27:04 am »
The problem that I was originally was having was that everything worked except the starter button....and when jumped the starter worked fine.  The issue turned out to be a set of pre-K6 controls on a K6 / K6 wiring harness....I know that now, but it took me getting through multiple sets of right controls to figure it out.
The task currently at hand is getting the wiring back to the stock k6 configuration which was partially modified to work with pre-K6 controls....with the notable exception of the starter button.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 07:43:06 am »
You are on the right track, good luck!

Offline CB_Jeff

• Enthusiast
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 07:42:13 pm »
Quick update, the ignition switch on the right controls is now working... which is a good development, now I just need to get the headlight and right turn signals back online.... both of which should have nothing to do with the right controls.